lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 03:38 PM

I picked about 75 feet of wax (yellow) beans. The wife canned them and got 36 pints.  Picked the green beans about a 75 foot row too.  Wife canned them and got 45 pints. 

• Alc, jd.rasentrac, ol' stonebreaker and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 04:44 PM

Sounds like a good supply for winter. We picked our last a few weeks ago & planted a fall crop of Heirloom beans....about 6" high right now. My wife's grandparents were big on keeping their seeds for the next planting & keeping the Heirloom seeds going.

• lyall said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 07:29 PM

That's great ! Lot of work canning . I wont have any to even pick .Some animal keeps cleaning off the leaves on mine
  • lyall and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 07:37 PM

We are having a major drought up here. Actually the drought is over and we are now having rain dumped on us, but it is too much and too late I got no beans at all this year. I usually mix the green and yellow together when I put them up though ( frozen., canned or pickled). Luckily we still have some left from last year, so we should be good till next year. Tomatoes and cucumbers are producing fairly well. Potatoes are ready to dig, but not yeilding a whole lot. I am going to let the tomatoes and cucumbers produce for another 2 weeks or so, then let the pigs loose in the garden till they go to the butchers. They are scheduled to go on October 26. The big one is around 300 pounds live weight now.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 004.jpg

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Our garden is black dirt with a little sand.  Peas and beans are a waste of time and ground space.  Tried different places, brands and types of beans and peas.  I think we got a dozen pods this year.  Last year we got enough peas for one good meal of creamed peas on new potatoes.  So we help the people out at the farmers market on Thursday evening in town when we want some.

#6 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 02:14 PM

That's great ! Lot of work canning . I wont have any to even pick .Some animal keeps cleaning off the leaves on mine

That is probably the deer eating your green bean leaves.  If I don't use deer repellent on mine, the deer will eat the leaves right down to the blossoms, Then there are very few beans after that.  

• Alc said thank you

#7 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 09:55 PM

So far Linda has canned 55 pints of green beans, this despite a nip of frost two weeks ago and a light hail storm. I got up at 3:30AM day before yesterday to check the temp and turned on the garden sprinkler and by sunup everything was coated w/ ice but had no frost damage. We're having a cool August.

Mike

• Alc, lyall, shorty and 1 other said thanks

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 05:01 AM

So far Linda has canned 55 pints of green beans, this despite a nip of frost two weeks ago and a light hail storm. I got up at 3:30AM day before yesterday to check the temp and turned on the garden sprinkler and by sunup everything was coated w/ ice but had no frost damage. We're having a cool August.
Mike

That is hard for me to imagine, frost worries in August. So different from our weather patterns.
  • ol' stonebreaker said thank you

#9 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 09:04 AM

I try to stagger the planting time on beans so they aren't all ready to pick at the same time. The greens are pretty well done now, just a few stragglers left for fresh eating, and the yellows are in full production. There are 30 bags of green in the freezer already and today (if the rain holds off) I'll be picking and processing yellows. Cukes are getting pickled, tomatoes are turning red on the vines and cabbage won't take another rain before they split. Time to make some kraut!

• ol' stonebreaker said thank you