Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody use Electrolysis Tank for derusting and paint removal ?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 06:44 AM

I have a small setup I use. 

Edited by UncleWillie, September 20, 2016 - 06:44 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi and KennyP have said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 07:10 AM

I just made up a small one in a 5 gal bucket. Don't have room for anything bigger right now.

#18 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Willy is crazier than I am.......don`t understand the battery in the circuit.....I`m just using clamps straight off charger.

#19 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 08:55 AM

I have done it more than a few times. The only thing you have to be cautious about is when you take it out, you have to get it dry really fast.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

#20 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 09:13 AM

These are photos of what it did. I did not have a large enough tank for this, so I dug a hole and lined it with plastic. It was rather large, so I ran it for a week and pulled it out. Almost all the rust was removed along with the paint, except for some bottom parts, where the line of sight did not work. I usually run a 5 gallon bucket for this. I have also seen a picture of a guy using a swimming pool for a trailer. In my opinion, it works well.

e2aaadd74214dfda922ecad480195004.jpg

e6d818285c4ad98f250d72639060ae5a.jpg

0ac4e307db3e742274a75f634ee11619.jpg

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#21 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 09:27 AM

Willy is crazier than I am.......don`t understand the battery in the circuit.....I`m just using clamps straight off charger.

The battery was to keep the battery charger running. It kind of worked as a buffer. Without it the charger kept kicking off. 

• Alc, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#22 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 10:29 AM

I saw somewhere about it and did some research...too easy to not try. I had an old 48 qt cooler doing nothing so I set it up for cleaning my gas tank on the 2414 PK......seemed to work ok but limited space and a leaky drain had me looking for something else. I`ve had a plastic food grade barrel about the size of a 55 gal drum on my carport for years....Thought about making a rain barrel out of it but the bright yellow wouldn`t fit in my daily sight from the house......

I cut the top out of it and got 4 of the 3/8 rebar fence posts for the anode I had been using around the garden for pulling strings for row lay off...got it going ...really worked good on the tank. I have the dash and the gas tank back in it again work on the rust that was under the layer of factory seal coat of some kind that was on it. In the inside of the tank was little surface rust but mostly pretty clean.

I was wanting to put the floor pan in it but it is too big on the end where the battery sits and damaged it.

I thinking about one of the square 250 gallon plastic tanks you see with the lightweight piping frames everywhere now and cutting the top out of it. You could put a whole lot of parts there at the same time.

I`m curious about the 2 amp charger on the bigger tank and the amount of baking soda you add. .I used I cup per instructions and increased to 4 cups in the bigger drum.  I sort of understand the electrical 'Physics' but I`m kind of like Tool Time Tim Allen.....if 2 amps is good then 10amps has to be better ...right?? Just kiddin` .....electric and water makes me nervous any way.

I also  saw in my research ( Google) about some people using cookie sheets as the anode ? Providing a Sheets of electrons I guess. I`ve got a couple of 4 foot flouro light reflectors that could be added to the rebars.... if it would enhance the performance and speed of the rust removal.

Just thinking out loud again and curious if anybody has any experience with this ?

Been working on a large Sears mower deck with a wire brush/4" grinder and dreading the small parts. I have never tried the electrolysis process but have thought about it several times. I thank you for kick starting the old memory with this post. Don

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 06:15 PM

Here's some pics of mine working!

DSCN2134.JPG

Left it in there an hour with the charger on 40 Amps. The RH piece is what it looked like before!

DSCN2135.JPG

• Alc and michael.kitko have said thanks

#24 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 09:58 AM

Dang ...40 amps.....I`ve stuck to the 2 amp for mine...just what was recommended in the articles I read. Been wanting to try 10 amps anyway !

Willie I understand now.....how many amps you using ??

Is the a formula for how much soda to use per gallon or just hit and miss.....I put a half a box of the soda washing powders in my 300 gal tank...probably 250-275 gallon actually in tank !

Squirrely ...your ground must be easier to dig than mine LOL !!! Did a great job on that radiator !

• KennyP said thank you

#25 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 11:45 AM

Is the a formula for how much soda to use per gallon or just hit and miss.....I put a half a box of the soda washing powders in my 300 gal tank...probably 250-275 gallon actually in tank !

I think the charger I was using was 20 amps. I don't remember. 

In my tank I put 2 boxes of soda. Not sure of the mix, but it worked. 

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 06:22 PM

Dang ...40 amps.....I`ve stuck to the 2 amp for mine...just what was recommended in the articles I read. Been wanting to try 10 amps anyway !

Squirrely ...your ground must be easier to dig than mine LOL !!! Did a great job on that radiator !

It's either 2 amps or 40 with this charger. The battery between is toasted, no help from it.