#16 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 05:54 PM

I generally don't mess around with tires on our cars, with dad not getting around to well and my 11 year old daughter I don't want to get stuck somewhere.  if they look bad I replace then, for us that isn't to bad as there is a very nice locale shop that sells warrentied used tires or $40 each and I have a tire machine here.  Good thing you weren't to far from home or going to fast.

Pete

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 09:27 PM

The pizza was going to be a Big Y party size with the works topping. That is a 1.5' by 3' pizza with about eight toppings. It ends up about 7 pounds and costs $25 normally. On senior Tuesday with a gold coin it is under $20. Feeds us for 2 or 3 meals. I'll go on Tuesday.

Pete, I've got a couple of tire changers but only seem to use them for tractors and yard trailers. Tires seem to deteriorate alot faster now than they did before the mid 90s. The Bain Brothers changers have a pneumatic bead breaker at their base. You then pick the tire up and mount it on the post where you dismount/remount the tires with a manual bar. Its good excercise. Good Luck, Rick
  • Lmiller3358 said thank you

#18 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 07:06 AM

Here are a couple of pics of the inside right rear off of the HSM Rainmaker. 

100_4570.JPG 100_4571.JPG

Note the depth of the tread in the 2nd pic.

It looked like an almost new tire but was about 11 years old and was a blowout just waiting to happen.

I was fortunate that it was one of the rears as I was doing about 65 when that happened. If it would have been one of the steering tires....I shudder to think about what result would have been.

Turned out that ALL of the tires were 10-12 years old, and we had to replace all 6.  Cost me something like $3.000.00 but at least we were safe to drive.

If you value your life, or the lives of your loved ones, keep a good record of the age of your tires and replace any of them that are 6 years old or older.  They are just not safe at highway speeds.

Edited by OldBuzzard, August 22, 2016 - 07:07 AM.

• Lmiller3358, HDWildBill, WHdbJD and 1 other said thanks

#19 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 08:13 PM

I'm glad you were lucky and are alright. I called for the tires today and they will be in tomorrow afternoon. I'll also get a front end alignment. Then on to BigY for groceries and pizza. Tomorrow evening will be our annual car show in town. Last year there was over 150 cars. Its growing by about 25 cars per year.

My tire guy told me that most tires are made in China now. I guess that explains why they rot out fast. I've got 30 year old tires on yard trailers that are still holding air fine. Good Luck, Rick

#20 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 04:38 AM

boyscout862, on 22 Aug 2016 - 9:13 PM, said:

My tire guy told me that most tires are made in China now. I guess that explains why they rot out fast.

I doubt that has anything to do with it. I think it's related to the fact that tires lost so much longer now.  I remember when you were doing good to get 10,000 miles from  set of tires. Back then you would wear them out before they 'aged out'.

I've got 30 year old tires on yard trailers that are still holding air fine. Good Luck, Rick

Those 30 year old tires aren't carrying a load the 65 MPH on the highway either.

Tires get pretty hot and the resulting increase in air pressure has a lot to do with it.

• shorty, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 06:16 AM

boyscout862, on 22 Aug 2016 - 9:13 PM, said:

My tire guy told me that most tires are made in China now. I guess that explains why they rot out fast.

I doubt that has anything to do with it. I think it's related to the fact that tires lost so much longer now.  I remember when you were doing good to get 10,000 miles from  set of tires. Back then you would wear them out before they 'aged out'.

I've got 30 year old tires on yard trailers that are still holding air fine. Good Luck, Rick

Those 30 year old tires aren't carrying a load the 65 MPH on the highway either.

Tires get pretty hot and the resulting increase in air pressure has a lot to do with it.

You make a couple of good points. As a retired Civil Engineer, I still keep up with the big stories from the construction work. One thing that has been way too common has been structural failures of new bridges due to substandard Chinese steel. I just don't trust their quality(or lack there of). Good Luck, Rick

#22 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 04:30 PM

Today I pulled a tire off the rear end of a sportster.  The tire was 8 years old and still had good tread and showed no signs of any cracks mounted.  Since the new tire won't be here till tomorrow I decided to just check the inside of the tire for any problems since this subject of age has come up a couple of times this past week.  There were small cracks running along the seam where the belts of rubber meet and cracks just above the bead on the left side (brake disc side)  Although I don't think the tire was in any danger of failing anytime soon it really goes to show you that just because it looks good mounted on the rim there still could be issues inside.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 04:56 PM

I got 4 new light truck tires  and a front end alignment today. Gary is older than me and has been selling tires for over 40 years. He said that the new tires don't seem to last as long as tires from the 80s and 90s. It does feel alot better to drive now. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#24 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,238 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:19 PM

He said that the new tires don't seem to last as long as tires from the 80s and 90s.

Shelf life?
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#25 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 06:55 AM

Shelf life?

He did not say. We were looking at some odd agricultural tires that he just changed. He does most of the farms in the area. They were nylon cord and he was trying to estimate their age. They were so old there wasn't a date code of any kind. My Ford 4500 has 36 year old rear tires on it and they still hold air. They are not making them as well as they used to. Another hint was that he advised me to "break in" the tires by staying off the highway for a few days for them to get "set". This was at a slightly lower tire pressure. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#26 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,238 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 06:00 PM

All of our cubs have the original tires. The 73 suburban we just got has the original tires. All in very good shape.

I have minibikes with original tires. All from the 70s.

As for actual "wear" on car/truck I'd say new tires are much better. My current tires have 40k miles on them and they are about 1/4 tread left. I'll replace them before winter. The tires we bought for my wife's journey have 80k mile warranty!

#27 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 08:32 AM

I dont have much tread wear problems on our 01 ford expedition anymore,It used to go thru tires like they were free,A set of yokohama 10 ply all terrain tires took care of that and the ride is pretty good too

• MH81 said thank you

#28 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 10:33 AM

Isnt this why theres a steel/aluminum/mag backup mounted inside every rubber tire? :)
  • Reed Breneman said thank you