• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 07:52 AM

Earlier this week, I noticed that my tires were pretty warn. I decided to put on my old snow tires until I bought new tires(budget blowing items). I did not use these snows last winter because they had age cracking and my instincts said that they were too old. I figured that a month in the summer would be okay. They have good tread and I only drive about 60 miles a week now.

Big mistake! I drove to Walmart and got a flat in the left side snow. Leaking through the sidewall. I did my shopping and changed the tire with the help of a nice young couple. I left Walmart and a mile down the road the other snow went flat. Fortunately, I have AAA and they came and brought me home. I was supposed to pickup pizza and be home by 1930hrs but instead it was 2230 and no pizza.

Today I will put the old tires back on and tomorrow I will order two new tires. If I had listened to my instincts to not use those snows, I would have saved myself alot of aggrivation. I think that happens alot in life. We make a snap judgement on something but then talk ourselves into going a different way. I've got to remember that my instincts have generally been very good and not to go against them. Something for all of us older guys to keep in mind. Good Luck, Rick

BTW. My good luck held. I was driving slow and had good parking spaces both times,

Edited by boyscout862, August 21, 2016 - 07:54 AM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 12 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 08:00 AM

Yeah, i try to listen to the little voice. God put that voice in there for a reason, I figure it was to keep my dumb butt out of a sling.
  • KennyP, Lmiller3358, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Been there! Glad you had AAA!

• Lmiller3358, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 08:13 AM

I always believed the tires is the only thing between you and the grave.

• TheFarm2004, grnspot110, Lmiller3358 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Been there! Glad you had AAA!

Last time I tried to use AAA was a flat RF.  Belt broke.  Just had knee replaced.  First call they could not find where I was at and was sending someone 120 miles away and would be at my location in 1/2 hour.   Carolyn called and got a different person.  They were going to send someone from the opposite direction 60 miles away.  Again be there in 1/2 hour.  I know for a fact there were at least 3 AAA service people with 20 miles of where I was at.  I even gave them the phone number of the closets one, 10 miles away.  They didn't even call him.  Thanks to a farmer that stopped and changed my tire for me we went on our way.  I complained to AAA and got a form letter saying they were sorry for the inconvenience and my membership was due in a month.  If they would stop hiring foreigners that cannot speak fluent English they might be able to read a computer screen.  Next time will call 911 first and find the closest AAA provider.  Then call AAA and tell them who to call. Just might get service that way.  Sorry about my rant but it still ticks me off.

• Gtractor, MH81, Lmiller3358 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,685 Thanks
  • 8,884 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Not to mention the snows don't have the same temp rating as all season tires. Coupled with the softer compound used to make the tread, snows will wear like refrigerated butter.
  • Lmiller3358, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,582 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 09:26 AM

I have so many vehicles my tires ALWAYS rot out before they wear out.  Minivan just got 2 new tires because the sidewall simply rotted out.

I think its a family trait!

Saw my dad driving through town last week in his Cummins diesel Dodge.  Its a mint condition 2001 with 55,000 actual miles.  He bought it 12 years ago with 50,000 miles.  I put 800+ miles on it myself. 

That night I was private messaging him and said:

"I didn't know you still drove the ole Dodge" 

He said "I don't,  I don't trust the tires.  Just trying to burn out the fuel from its last fill up two years ago"  :(

Edited by Gtractor, August 21, 2016 - 09:27 AM.

• Lmiller3358, boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 10:33 AM

Funny you should post about old tires today.  Earlier this week we had our monthly MC riding club meeting. Being Safety Office I have a part in the meeting so this month I did it on how to tell how old your tires are.  I had some really good participation in the part so i knew at least some were listening.  Well last night we had our annual Low Country Boil night.  After we ate a couple came up to me and the husband said he wanted to thank me for saving his life.  I looked at him and asked how?  He said that after our meeting he kept thinking about what I said about Old tires on an MC is a perfect recipe for disaster.  So with flash light in hand he went out to check his tires.  He and his wife are relatively new to MC riding and both have bike.  He bought a use bike with low miles.  The guy told him he had just change out the tires and since they still looked new he took the guys word at face value.  The tires are 9 years old and when he shined the light on the ribs he could see cracks in the side wall.  He said the only place that bike is going is to the dealer to have new tires put on.  I told him to check those as well.  I sure made me feel good that I could help someone and possibly have avoided and accident or worse.

Like I told every one at the meeting.  When you buy tires check that DOT Code and any tire older then 2 years tell them you don't want it!  Considering you only have 2 tires on an MC and you loose one that is 50% of your ability to stay upright.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 11:08 AM

Last time I tried to use AAA was a flat RF.  Belt broke.  Just had knee replaced.  First call they could not find where I was at and was sending someone 120 miles away and would be at my location in 1/2 hour.   Carolyn called and got a different person.  They were going to send someone from the opposite direction 60 miles away.  Again be there in 1/2 hour.  I know for a fact there were at least 3 AAA service people with 20 miles of where I was at.  I even gave them the phone number of the closets one, 10 miles away.  They didn't even call him.  Thanks to a farmer that stopped and changed my tire for me we went on our way.  I complained to AAA and got a form letter saying they were sorry for the inconvenience and my membership was due in a month.  If they would stop hiring foreigners that cannot speak fluent English they might be able to read a computer screen.  Next time will call 911 first and find the closest AAA provider.  Then call AAA and tell them who to call. Just might get service that way.  Sorry about my rant but it still ticks me off.

First, don't call 911, it is for emergencies. Second, as long as I've known AAA(30+ years) they have had bad dispatcher maps and software. It took 4 tries with this girl to get her to the right place. I gave her the zip code and she ended up in a city 15 miles south of where I was. The truck showed up 1/2 an hour sooner than she predicted. I would have said that she had a Texas accent so the problem wasn't overseas, its in their software and training.

I carried a card from my local srvice station and called them directly at first but he informed me that he had dropped out of AAA several years ago. That is when I called AAA directly. It was a pain to get through because they kept hanging up on me as I tried to enter the member number. I resorted to pressing "O" and getting an operator. Now. I have to find a new local AAA service station for calls. Good Luck, Rick

• Lmiller3358 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#10 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 12:09 PM

I'm always, always a split second behind when the little voice comes calling :wallbanging:

Edited by HANKG, August 21, 2016 - 12:12 PM.

• Gtractor, Lmiller3358 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 12:55 PM

Most AA service people will not provide service unless you call AAA first.  To hard for them to get paid.  I have been that route also.  Have know and done business with the local guy for 20+ years.  I call him, he said to call AAA. Had to give them the correct number to his cell to get him after hours.  Then they wanted to argue with him as to what service I needed when he already knew.  I still wonder why I keep AAA.  More of a pain then they are service.  Any time your sitting along the side of a busy road your a sitting duck so it is an emergency.

• Lmiller3358 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,226 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 01:13 PM

AAA is a joke. Never will i purchase services from them.

My bmw convertible has 4 tires with less than 2500 miles on them all dry rotted from sitting for the last few years.
  • Lmiller3358 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 01:29 PM

Glad you got home safe. The center line tread can rot as well & harder to see. Sometimes that inner man that we hear can be our biggest battle.
  • Lmiller3358, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 02:15 PM

Sometimes it's like a warning bell, sometimes it's just a little uneasiness in the back of your mind. Either way, listen to it.

My State Farm policy has towing service, and I don't mind using it. Slid off the bypass a couple of years back and sitting at the bottom of the median in the grass, 25' below the road, called the number and a truck that already stooped was the guy they called. Drug me up the grade and sent me on my way.

Edited by toppop52, August 21, 2016 - 02:18 PM.

• Lmiller3358, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 04:52 PM

Sorry for the bad tires misfortune Rick, just be glad it wasn't a blowout at highway speed...We had a trailer tire at work changed out  after a blow out by an out of state vendor a few months ago,, 11 R 22.5,,,it was a fresh recap they put on, which we frown on using,, two days later that tire blew. this time our local vendor came to replace the tire, and when he looked at the recap tire, he said this casing is nine years old,, it should have never been capped...we went back on the out of state vendor for the new tire plus the damage the recap did when it let go..oh,,btw, what kind of pizza was it ?

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks