• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 02:16 PM

Well its been three years I have had this GT. I have rebuilt two Gt's  MTD 990, Bolens H16 & a MF12 ready for finish paint & assembly. This Cub has waited very patiently looking at me almost every day like it was saying HEY! remember me. I practically got it for a song with a snow plow & deck. I was so anxious to get this because he had three others coming the next day.  I paid him a deposit up front & picked it up the next day. When I showed up early the next morning he said I made several people very mad especially when he told them what I paid. The PO said it ran well then stopped, after looking it over I noticed a broken governor shaft hanging down. He also said he had a short mini block done from a Kohler dealer about two years prior.

I started taking it apart yesterday anxious & worried to see if any internal damage. It looks very good inside with the exception of the governor shaft & plastic gear laying in the bottom. I'm glad he just parked it when it quit. I got all the broken parts out so I'll put the pan back on & pressure wash the engine & GT. I'll do a compression leak test to see what I have later before I start tearing it down.

I wanted to just do the engine repair since it's in good shape & really doesn't warrant a complete rebuild. My problem like before why not clean & paint everything while it's apart especially this Quiet Line series, it reminded me of rebuilding a VW engine with all the sheet metal & shrouds just to get to the engine. This will be a worker not a show piece. My other two I rebuilt & painted but they are still workers. The MF12 will be my only trailer queen...when done.

This one will be another new experience for me being my first CC & Kohler engine. I have been surfing our forum & other places educating myself so look out Cub owners for some info requests. I have a busy week next week so I probably won't be doing much more for a couple of weeks. Like anytime I post I welcome your input.

This pic was when I looked at it. The PO had a printing shop & a very small section of grass that he cut. He never used the plow & always kept it inside the back of his shop.

get-attachment (12).jpg

Rebuild1.jpg Rebuild2.jpg Rebuild4.jpg Rebuild5.jpg Rebuild3.jpg Rebuild6.jpg

This sticker is on the shroud but no reference number.

decal2.jpg

This factory sticker is on one of the pieces of sheet metal over the engine. This sticker has a different number than the one on the side of the engine.

decal4.jpg decal3.jpg

• bgkid2966, Traill95 and propane1 have said thanks

#2 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 03:43 PM

Nice looking cub.  Be sure to check the iso-mounts while you have the engine out.  I currently have a 1650 and I recently sold a 1450 and both tractors had bad iso-mounts that I replaced. You also might want to consider doing the engine cradle upgradet. The link below discusses the upgrade procedure and includes a picture.

https://www.google.c...9_lpXXxWkqTsCwQ

• bgkid2966, Sawdust and BNK have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 01:18 PM

Nice looking cub. Be sure to check the iso-mounts while you have the engine out. I currently have a 1650 and I recently sold a 1450 and both tractors had bad iso-mounts that I replaced. You also might want to consider doing the engine cradle upgradet. The link below discusses the upgrade procedure and includes a picture.

https://www.google.c...9_lpXXxWkqTsCwQ

Thanks for the link I seen that awhile back. Did you use the original or the moog rubbers. I have also read where some are using the solid metal mounts. I really don't understand why CC owners make this such an issue...most tractors are mounted solid to the frame & we all think nothing of it. I also will be welding the crossbar for sure that makes good sense.

#4 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the link I seen that awhile back. Did you use the original or the moog rubbers. I have also read where some are using the solid metal mounts. I really don't understand why CC owners make this such an issue...most tractors are mounted solid to the frame & we all think nothing of it. I also will be welding the crossbar for sure that makes good sense.

When I first got the tractors they shook so bad while running it would make your teeth rattle. Because of that I was afraid to go with the solid steel mounts.  I used the original rubber mounts in the 1650 and the moogs in the 1450.  I couldn't tell much difference in the results between the two  tractors.  They still shook pretty good at low RPM but smoothed  out nicely at running speed.  The moogs are a lot cheaper and probably last just as long as originals.  If I ever need to replace them again I'll probably go with the moogs.

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 11:44 PM

I went with the cub mounts, and after a couple attempts at getting them adjusted just right, I'm happy with the end results. But after reading that others went solid mounts and didn't really notice much difference between the two, if and when I need to replace another set, I'm going solid mounts.

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 05:56 AM

I tried solids on a friend's 1200 and the vibration was horrendous. so I pulled them out and put Moog sway bar link bushings in.

They make a "standard (like original equipment for what ever car that you buy the links for) these are definitely too soft for motor mounts on these tractors, I get the "improved design" version which are urethane.

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 46 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 09:59 AM

My 1450 has solid mounts just put in.  The rubber mounts did not fail, but got soft and the engine shook enough that the oil pan to engine cradle bolts broke ruining the cradle and pan, and broke a new muffler.  I found a cast iron pan and modified cradle on auction and bought solid mounts from Jeff in PA on another forum.  It does not shake, and any vibration is very manageable.  My engine also has had the balance gears removed before I got it.  I was worried about the solid mounts from internet chatter, but any future tractors will get them.

• Sawdust said thank you