1050 TRA-10D Ignition Coil

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 red79 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60181
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 02:33 PM

I'm hoping to pick the brains of those of you familiar with the TRA-10D, it's ignition, and ignition coils in general.  My 1050 has a leaking coil, so I'm currently not running it.  Not sure if running it with a leaking coil could cause problems.  My problem is that I have a need for the tractor as soon as possible, and have two areas of concern that I'd like to bounce off you guys.

1.  I'm going to get a new coil for the engine and am wondering where to source it.  I want to be entirely sure I have the right coil, so I'm leaning toward getting it through a Wisconsin expert, rather than going with some generic coil that "might work."  I really don't want to damage the engine or ignition system in any way by getting the wrong part for the job.  Do you have recommendations for where to get the coil?  Is springing a leak a typical way for a coil to go out?

2.  More importantly in the short term: I have a parts engine with a coil and was wondering whether I should assume the coil is good or assume it's bad.  The engine it came off was not in running condition and had probably spent several years outside.  The engine was free and the internals looked pretty good when I broke it down, but I have no idea how coils tend to hold up over the years.  I guess my question is, if I want to get this thing up and running by tomorrow, is there any harm in trying the extra coil I have?  Could I damage anything by trying?

Thanks for your help in advance, as I'm new to ignition issues.  I've done a couple of light rebuilds, but usually just disassembly, honing, rings, lapping valves, then reassembly has done the trick!

#2 tater195 ONLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,253 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 02:40 PM

Short of maybe blowing a fuse if the coil is bad, it wont hurt anything to try the spare coil. It will either work or it wont, but it will only take 5 minutes to find out

Edited by tater195, August 19, 2016 - 02:41 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Chubien ONLINE  

• Member No: 61561
  • 575 Thanks
  • 363 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 02:42 PM

Napa IC14 or IC14SB works well, I use them on my tra10d's and my other tubeframes. Sponsors here can also help you with coil replacements.
My 850 coil went that way, leaked oil everywhere.
  • LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,174 Thanks
  • 2,253 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Put the other coil on it and run it for 5-10 minutes.If it gets to hot to touch then it's not a internal resistor coil and you will have to install a Ballast resistor or another coil before it burns up your points.

Just put it on and if it runs cool your OK.

You could possibly JB weld the other coil where it's leaking and it might last a long time.Depends how much oil is left in it.they should be completly full but I had 1 that got a hole in the side from a loose clamp and I JB welded it.It lost a good bit of oil but still worked.Couple months later it quit on in the middle of snow plowing. :wallbanging:  lol

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,474 Thanks
  • 17,094 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 09:22 PM

The only harm possibly will be if it has the internal resistor in it or not, if not you'll be burning your points a bit faster.

Original Bolens coils had the resistor built in the oil filled coil.

The ones we sell are made in Argentina and have been running on my equipment for years, I also have a kit with plug wires as well

#6 red79 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60181
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 10:00 PM

Thanks a lot for the responses - I love this forum! I think I'm going to try to determine whether my extra coil looks worth while tomorrow. If not, I've found a way around the imminent need for the tractor and can probably just wait on ordering a new one.

Thanks again!