8 replies to this topic

#1 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 08:00 AM

Just what the title says, I got an H14 on trade with a blown engine, then bought an engine with a bad head and swapped it with the old one. Now I have everything back together and in the tractor, but I'm not sure the wiring is stock, even if it was it's a total mess! I'd like to know how to wire it to run with a push button ignition and a toggle kill switch.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 WAPat OFFLINE  

WAPat
  • Member No: 75116
  • 8 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 10:31 AM

Here is the wiring diagram from the tube frame service manual in the manuals section, it should help you know the original way it was wired.

H14_wiring_diagram.PNG

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 10:46 AM

Be very carefull. The oh140 engine has a very expensive electronic ignition. If you put electricity to the ignition system it will fry in an instant. Good Luck, Rick
  • Alc, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 11:03 AM

I've had the same issue on a very early project involving a 1556. I ended up rewiring the tractor using the electrical diagram. You can trace out each wire and see which one/s are not correct. That is what I did and it is a painstaking effort but worth it in the end. It ended being a mess until I really got into it and figured it all out by tracing out each wire. If you can do that there is no reason you can't put in a toggle along with a push button start. The older machines like the 900 had a two position key on/off and then a push button start when the key was in the on position. It works great. Like Rick said be very careful of the ignition module. I'd make sure you have an inline fuse in place at all times.

• Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#5 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 02:37 PM

Did these have electrical clips? This tractor has quite a few of them and it's a bit confusing.

#6 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 03:46 PM

Ok so I made a bit of progress today, not much but it's something. I hooked the jumper cables up to the battery cables on the H14 and cranked the key and--she turns over! BUT, no spark. There are a couple of wires that aren't connected to anything though. There is I believe a white/yellow one going to this small box on the flywheel housing, and there is a set of plastic connectors that aren't connected to anything located to the right of the drive belts (if you're sitting on the seat). There doesn't seem to be anything they will connect to. I am wondering what that box is and which wire goes where on the keyswitch for the ignition.

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 06:40 PM

Like Rick said be very careful of the ignition module. I'd make sure you have an inline fuse in place at all times.

There is nothing on the wiring diagram labeled  'ignition module'. Are you referring to the regulator-rectifier?

#8 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 12:03 PM

There is nothing on the wiring diagram labeled  'ignition module'. Are you referring to the regulator-rectifier?

Actually I was referring to the ignition coil sorry. It is an aluminum looking thing that is mounted on the front under the flywheel cover. It has the spark plug wire coming from it as well as trigger pins just above the flywheel magnets. 

#9 andyrocky1 OFFLINE  

andyrocky1
  • Member No: 78183
  • 15 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 08:13 AM

I think there is a parts vendor who makes a new wiring harness for them.