• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Digger89 OFFLINE  

Digger89

• Member No: 3536
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 10:44 PM

I picked up what I think is either a Model 65 or 66 John Deere riding mower, and I have a few questions. (1) How can I tell exactly what model it is? It doesn't have a model number on the side, however it looks similar, but not exactly the same as the Model 66/68 in the manual I downloaded. It has the same-size wheels front and back as a 66/68. (2) The cutting deck is set at the highest cutting height, however it is actually cutting at the second lowest cutting height ...meaning if I lower it from the highest to the second highest setting, it will still cut, but the blade is practically dragging on the ground. Is there a way to "re-calibrate" the deck settings, or raise the deck somehow so I have more flexibility in the cutting height settings? (3) The trottle wire came off the lever in the steering column tower, so I have to set the running speed using the lever on the engine: is there a way to get at the trottle lever without taking the steering tower apart? The steering wheel is seized onto the shaft at the top ...removed the pin, and even tried using a gear puller to get the steering wheel off ..no luck.:confuse:

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 04:39 AM

Digger89,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

:wewantpics:

#3 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 06:50 AM

What engine does it have? 66 should have a 6 HP Tecumseh, 68 an 8 HP Briggs. What size deck, one blade or two? ~~ grnspot

#4 Digger89 OFFLINE  

Digger89

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 03:49 PM

I'd post some pics, but I'm new at this and not quite sure how to do that. There do not appear to be any maker markings on the engine ..just a John Deere sticker on the back side of the cover, so I can't say what make, or HP the engine is. Looking pics of a Model 66, it appears that mine be the same, except the "flip forward" engine cover may be missing. Maybe that's the part that would have the model # decal on it? The serial # plate is still rivetted to the motor mounting plate: John Deere made in U.S.A. A650J 124742M Serial Number John Deere Horicon Works of Deere and Co. Horicon, WI. So, maybe the 65 in the serial number means its a Model 65 ?? It has a 30" single blade deck.

#5 Digger89 OFFLINE  

Digger89

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 03:56 PM

del

Edited by Digger89, May 22, 2011 - 10:52 PM.
duplicate post

#6 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 10:31 PM

It's a 1980 65 rear engine rider - it should have a 5 hp Tecumseh engine on it. Here's a brochure from 1980 that will have the 65 rider in it: 1980 John Deere Lawn Tractors & Rear Engine Riders - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#7 Digger89 OFFLINE  

Digger89

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 11:09 PM

It's a 1980 65 rear engine rider - it should have a 5 hp Tecumseh engine on it. Here's a brochure from 1980 that will have the 65 rider in it: 1980 John Deere Lawn Tractors & Rear Engine Riders - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Okay ....great! Thank you! That looks like it for sure ....I guess its sort of a stripped-down Model 66, without the flip-up engine cover, and with a smaller engine. Now, what about my other issues with this little beast? Any advice on how to re-set the deck mechanism so it can be adjusted more precisely?

#8 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 05:57 AM

Maybe this operator's manual will help: 66 & 68 Riding Mowers Operators Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums It's for the 66 and 68 riders, but the 65 is in that same series and most parts will interchange.
  • newideas said thank you

#9 Digger89 OFFLINE  

Digger89

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Maybe this operator's manual will help: 66 & 68 Riding Mowers Operators Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums It's for the 66 and 68 riders, but the 65 is in that same series and most parts will interchange.

Yes, thank you. I have downloaded that manual. The Model 65 seems to have a different cutting deck than the 66 or 68: mine does not have the adjustable wheels on the back edges of the deck ...it has "skids" in both the from and the back. And, upon closer inspection, I note that my machine may have had the motor swapped for a different one at some point in its life ..I'll check to see if I can find any makers marks on it. Another thought is that the wheels (front and back) may be too small, thus making the whole machine sit too close to the ground. I'm guessing the wheels are the same spec as the 66 and 68's ..however, I'm not real sure how to measure the wheels: the front "tires" are 4.10 X 3.50-4 (as they are supposed to be)and the metal rim is 5" in diameter. The rear tires don't seem to have any markings on them indicating size ..however the rear wheel (metal part) is 9" in diameter, the tire is about 4.5" wide at the bulging part, and the tire stands about 15" tall. The spec sheet says the rear tires are supposed to 4.80 X 4.00-8. Can anyone tell me how to reconcile these numbers?

#10 GoodWComputers OFFLINE  

GoodWComputers
  • Member No: 24572
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:24 PM

Do you guys have the service manual for the JD 68?  I just picked up a used one as well and the wiring is a mess.  Looking forward to being a member of the forum.

#11 aliby OFFLINE  

aliby
  • Member No: 48987
  • 13 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 04:12 PM

Does anyone have the operators manual as listed above? I tried the link (66 & 68 Riding Mowers Operators Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums) but they didn't work/were broken. 

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:40 AM

Does anyone have the operators manual as listed above? I tried the link (66 & 68 Riding Mowers Operators Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums) but they didn't work/were broken. 

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

I'll send you a PM!

#13 fdyoungsr OFFLINE  

fdyoungsr
  • Member No: 70213
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 01:12 PM

I tried the link  66 & 68 Riding Mowers Operators Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums  but it says I don't have access to that part of the site. I just picked up the 66 from a relative that had it in storage since my Dad passed away. I would like to try to restore it as much as I can. It's not in great shape needs wiring work and probably a carb kit for starters. Any help would be much appreciated. A service manual would be great also.

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,949 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 04:21 PM

I tried the link  66 & 68 Riding Mowers Operators Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums  but it says I don't have access to that part of the site. I just picked up the 66 from a relative that had it in storage since my Dad passed away. I would like to try to restore it as much as I can. It's not in great shape needs wiring work and probably a carb kit for starters. Any help would be much appreciated. A service manual would be great also.

Welcome to the forums fdyoungsr! The JD manuals had to be taken off due to copyrights.