Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Skinny duals vs fat singles

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Skinny duals vs fat singles (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Skinny duals vs fat singles

1. 6-12 ag tread duals (2 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

2. 23 8.50 12 ag tread singles (15 votes [88.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 07:41 PM

I dunno how the duels would have worked .
I set up 'Rusty' with the 12x6 and chains last winter and it worked out great .
005B.jpg

But I think he looks pretty Bad-ass with the duels :D
003.JPG

The 6-12 duals would be for summer, I would drop the outer duals to have single 6-12 tires in the winter.

Nice tractor btw...
  • MGP59DB said thank you

#17 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 09:38 AM

As a guy who actually did what you are talking about, I can tell you it is a bit of a nuisance to have to put on and take off. I went with a large ag tire after the first year of doing this. It does work, just a pain I guess. My little 140 can push snow just fine with weighted 26 x 12s, which is what I run now. The big Goodyear Sure grips I was using did help a bit with traction when I had them in single mode, but again, pulling off the outer set was a bit of a pain, especially when I needed to move a hay wagon with over a ton and a half on it. In dual mode, I just spun and got no movement. It does work the way you are thinking, but I can't stress enough, putting them on and pulling them again is a bit annoying.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • MH81 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#18 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 01:09 PM

As a guy who actually did what you are talking about, I can tell you it is a bit of a nuisance to have to put on and take off. I went with a large ag tire after the first year of doing this. It does work, just a pain I guess. My little 140 can push snow just fine with weighted 26 x 12s, which is what I run now. The big Goodyear Sure grips I was using did help a bit with traction when I had them in single mode, but again, pulling off the outer set was a bit of a pain, especially when I needed to move a hay wagon with over a ton and a half on it. In dual mode, I just spun and got no movement. It does work the way you are thinking, but I can't stress enough, putting them on and pulling them again is a bit annoying.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

Understood. Every spring, my dad and me put duals on 2 100+ hp tractors, I'm not bothered by the put on take off. It would realistically happen twice a year...
  • michael.kitko said thank you

#19 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Understood. Every spring, my dad and me put duals on 2 100+ hp tractors, I'm not bothered by the put on take off. It would realistically happen twice a year...

Same here...when I grew up, we did the exact same thing. I just never liked how duals mount on the little guys. I even made my own adapter and still didn't like it. I never said don't do it. I personally like the idea and I say go for it. It will work exactly as you are saying. I do want to see your dual adapter when you get it done.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • Greasy6020 said thank you

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 04:55 PM

I can't vote as there are no 26X12X12's in the list. Forget the duals and get some decent ag tires. Use turfs and chains in the winter!

#21 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 09:17 PM

Same here...when I grew up, we did the exact same thing. I just never liked how duals mount on the little guys. I even made my own adapter and still didn't like it. I never said don't do it. I personally like the idea and I say go for it. It will work exactly as you are saying. I do want to see your dual adapter when you get it done.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

I was thinking of just using a 6" section of pvc pipe, between the rims, with pieces of ready rod/all thread and lock nuts in the wheel weight holes...

#22 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 10:51 PM

Now that you heard the down side of running duals. And it looks like you can deal with those easily. GO FOR IT!
  • michael.kitko and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#23 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 11:54 AM

Bolens did make a dual wheel setup for the tube frames.

If you decide to use duals, I'd advise using the same type 'adapter/spacer'.  They are available at this site.

http://www.xtrememot...s/CC-01-001.htm

Attached Files

Edited by OldBuzzard, August 24, 2016 - 11:56 AM.

#24 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 09:22 AM

On my cub i have single 6-12 ags an on my jds i run 23-10.50 x12 ive thought about adding duals to it but never been where i have the need for them to my knowledge i though duals were mainly for looks