• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• Member No: 5581
  • 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 07:37 PM

It was suggested that I post this here from the Montgomery Wards section in hopes someone may know what I could use as a replacement. Spindle assembly original Wards # I believe is a 37056. Toro # is 742569. Neither exist.

The plate that holds the blade, came loose from the spindle. Bottom of spindle has a rectangular plate. The blade bolts in with two bolts to the plate.  There is a bolt in the center of the plate too that bolts the plate on to the spindle. However, it also looks like the plate was welded too? I don't know if I need the whole spindle, or if I can get by with re-bolting  the plate on . Is there supposed to be something keeping the plate from free-wheeling besides the bolt?

Tractor Gilson  built Wards

Model G33470A

Spindle 37056

Attached Thumbnails

• frontspindle2.jpg
  • 20160814_170424.jpg
  • 20160814_170433.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 08:31 AM

Do you know a good welder? Bet he could fix that. Looks like the plate was spot welded to the bottom of the spindle to me. Drill those spots out and bolt the plate back to the spindle, making sure it is square. Weld the drilled holes back shut.

• GilsonRider said thank you

#3 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 11:09 AM

Do you know a good welder? Bet he could fix that. Looks like the plate was spot welded to the bottom of the spindle to me. Drill those spots out and bolt the plate back to the spindle, making sure it is square. Weld the drilled holes back shut.

I looked at the left spindle by taking its bolt out. Looks like that spindle has an extension, like a bushing that the blade bracket is pressed on to. It would make sense (well to me anyhow)as I see no other purpose for the center bolt, but I could be wrong, it's happened before ;). It would keep the bracket tight and centered. I'm bringing the spindle shaft and bracket to a couple of old time equipment dealers to see if we can match something up. I found a machine washer that would help stabilize and level the bracket for welding if necessary. Also it's about .060 thick and the bracket fits flush with it. I'm getting more positive about getting this to work again. The right side spindle is growling, so I am going to try and get bearings for it.  

Edited by GilsonRider, August 18, 2016 - 11:10 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 02:32 PM

Was working on it today. Picked up some new bolts and a shaft key (mine flew somewhere). Got to warm in the garage. I'll do some welding this weekend as it's supposed to be in the low 60's on Saturday. Oiled up the outer spindles and now they spin more freely. Right one chattered, but no more!

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 02:54 PM

Doesn't the bolt go through the rectangle plate then the blade and a shoulder on the spindle center the blade ?

#6 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 06:01 PM

Alc and KennyP, I believe that is how it is supposed to be. I took the center bolt out from the outer brackets and the threads go out the bottom of the bracket. It's hard to tell if there is a shoulder centering the bracket, but because of the threads, I assume there is one. 

The bolt must have came loose before and the bracket was apparently welded and broke?. There is a lot of metal on the spindle and from the way the bracket is ground up and is how I came to that assumption. The center hole in the bracket is oblong. I mocked up the bracket assembly, got it centered, leveled and installed temporarily to test the balance and rotation. The deck is on a work bench at this time. 

• KennyP said thank you

#7 drbish OFFLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 06:14 PM

I do not know if this is the right deck

Attached Files