#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 10:17 PM

I just got this Sunday, the old tractor runs great and fires up with the tap of the key.

It has the fast hitch which will be converted over to a 3-pt quick hitch, right now I am taring it apart for new paint.

Hopefully I will get it out in my little 4 acre field soon (if I ever get the land paper work settled)

I already hooked it up to my 7' disk and played around with it. It pulled it like there was nothing behind it.

I am hoping to get a loader put on it fairly soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall 400 713.jpg
  • Farmall 400 714.jpg
  • Farmall 400 715.jpg
  • Farmall 400 716.jpg
  • Farmall 400 717.jpg
  • Farmall 400 718.jpg

• daytime dave, Gtractor, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 11:57 PM

Pardon me but I don't understand the desire to turn a good field tractor into a yard tractor, I thought you already had a good loader tractor.

Why make this one more cumbersome to use in the field? If it was your only tractor I could understand it. 

• propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 07:33 AM

Those were good solid tractors, but not acreage tractors.  Considered a 3 plow tractor so the 7' disk is a toy to it.  Big thing with them is the suck gas like there is no tomorrow.  IH answered that problem with the larger fuel tank, which your has.  Only 2 hydraulic outlets so a loader with hyd. bucket and 3 point won't work together.  Somebody painted the grill and side panel white.  The 350,450,etc had the white grill and side panel.  No TA either and the fenders are the wrong size.  Those came from a much smaller tractor like a letter series.  Swinging draw bar is broke up, no roller.  Stay with the fast hitch and get some fast hitch equipment.  3 point units are darn expensive any more, even one off a parts tractor.  No power steering either or the ring has been removed from the steering wheel.  A loader w/o power steering will not work unless your on hard ground all the time.  You can add power steering with a Charlyn Torque divider but they aren't cheap either.  The hydraulic pump has been replaced which  is a plus.  Will probably have to have the control valves for the hydraulic rebuilt as they tend to start leaking and slow working about ever 3 or 4 years if they are used much.  Sorry to tear your tractor apart like this but facts are facts.  I had one for 5 years doing custom haying.  Run it on the baler and grapple to pick up 8 bales at a time.  Way to much tractor for 4 A. but have fun and do what ever you want, it is your tractor.

• propane1 said thank you

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 09:18 AM

Always liked the 400

• propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 11:06 AM

So, just wondering, after I read chieffans post, if it has the the larger gas tank, is it a 55 or a 56. Could it be possible that it is a 450, which I think it would have the white paint on it, and some one put 400 emblems on it ? And what does the emblem say under the headlight by the steering wheel. Is that where it would say, torque amplifier, normally.

Just wondering
Noel
  • chieffan said thank you

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 11:23 AM

Never owned a 400 but I like the style of them. Tires look to be in decent shape and it has the wide front which is a plus. These tractors have been around for a long time which says a lot about their construction.  :thumbs:

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 01:02 PM

So, just wondering, after I read chieffans post, if it has the the larger gas tank, is it a 55 or a 56. Could it be possible that it is a 450, which I think it would have the white paint on it, and some one put 400 emblems on it ? And what does the emblem say under the headlight by the steering wheel. Is that where it would say, torque amplifier, normally.

Just wondering
Noel

No doubt has the larger gas tank.  Book says the 55 started with number 2588 and the 56 started with 29065.  450 had power steering and 3 hydraulic outlets as standard.  Lot of the 300 & 400 had the grill and side panel painted white.  Kind of a fad I guess.  Good eye propane1 on catching that emblem.  I missed that.  Was looking for the TA lever and linkage.  Torque probably went out so they took it all off.  Hard to find one with a good TA any more.  Guys use the TA when it is cold and that will take them out in a heart beat.  I unhooked mine just to be safe.  It was still working when I sold it a couple years ago.  The power steering emblem would be a round plate under the steering wheel nut.  Aluminum with black letters  POWER STEERING.  The original Bahlen power steering unit was junk the day they were built.  Once in a while a Charlynn power steering unit complete with pump, mounts, hoses (which will need replaced) upwards of $400 or more.  I used a Charlynn Torque Divider and a pump off an old Chevy pickup.  Had to add an oil cooler when using it heavy when loading hay bales.

Edited by chieffan, August 17, 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#8 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 312 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 01:15 PM

This tractor is TA,two rods to clutch, far as paint go's I have f12s and f20s all painted red to look like the new versions from 36 on and most 9 and 2n's got red paint somewear down the road, that forty acre tractor on four will leave you wondering what to do with the rest of you're day (go fishing, mow the grass, look for cool implements for my tractor). my 300 has has hydro pump mounted to crankshaft and it is very fast and powerful penny penny

#9 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,540 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 01:19 PM

The 400 would have the mechanical TA, correct, those DO NOT hold back in low and will free wheel on hills in low, the later TA's were hydraulic and held back in high and low, we have both types here on the farm.

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 02:17 PM

Pardon me but I don't understand the desire to turn a good field tractor into a yard tractor, I thought you already had a good loader tractor.

Why make this one more cumbersome to use in the field? If it was your only tractor I could understand it. 

I do have a couple loaders, I have a loader on my Kubota L2000 but that tractor is to small for heavier work and it can't lift over my dump truck. I do have a Mobility big dipper loader but it's built more like a forklift, it does great but not for everything. I have used it a couple times loading manure into my dump truck from a pasture but it has a harder time getting around. I did have a big home built 4x4 articulating high loader but both axles got knocked out of it and I don't have time to fix it. I am going to take the loader off of the shop built loader and put it on the 400. I am going to make quick attach mounts for the loader so I can easily take it on and off when needed.

I added a picture of the loader that I am going to put on it, I have a 7' bucket, hay forks, high reach boom pole and scaffolding for it that are all quick attach

Attached Thumbnails

• High Loader 098.jpg
  • High Loader 026.JPG
  • High Loader 038.JPG

Edited by BTS, August 17, 2016 - 02:24 PM.

• Alc, Cvans, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 06:44 PM

This tractor is TA,two rods to clutch, far as paint go's I have f12s and f20s all painted red to look like the new versions from 36 on and most 9 and 2n's got red paint somewear down the road, that forty acre tractor on four will leave you wondering what to do with the rest of you're day (go fishing, mow the grass, look for cool implements for my tractor). my 300 has has hydro pump mounted to crankshaft and it is very fast and powerful penny penny

I blew the pic up and your right, it does have the TA.  The handle blended in with fender,etc and I did not see it.  The hydraulic pump on the crank shaft is an add on and works very well.

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 06:45 PM

The 400 would have the mechanical TA, correct, those DO NOT hold back in low and will free wheel on hills in low, the later TA's were hydraulic and held back in high and low, we have both types here on the farm.

Correct. 

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 06:49 PM

Before you get to putting a loader on you better do something towards power steering.  Even with a wide front, you will play heck trying to turn it with a bucket full of manure, or dirt.  That loader looks a lot like a Koaker Super K.  Good loaders but cumbersome for on and off.  I never took mine off once it was mounted as it was used year around.

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 09:29 PM

Those were good solid tractors, but not acreage tractors.  Considered a 3 plow tractor so the 7' disk is a toy to it.  Big thing with them is the suck gas like there is no tomorrow.  IH answered that problem with the larger fuel tank, which your has.  Only 2 hydraulic outlets so a loader with hyd. bucket and 3 point won't work together.  Somebody painted the grill and side panel white.  The 350,450,etc had the white grill and side panel.  No TA either and the fenders are the wrong size.  Those came from a much smaller tractor like a letter series.  Swinging draw bar is broke up, no roller.  Stay with the fast hitch and get some fast hitch equipment.  3 point units are darn expensive any more, even one off a parts tractor.  No power steering either or the ring has been removed from the steering wheel.  A loader w/o power steering will not work unless your on hard ground all the time.  You can add power steering with a Charlyn Torque divider but they aren't cheap either.  The hydraulic pump has been replaced which  is a plus.  Will probably have to have the control valves for the hydraulic rebuilt as they tend to start leaking and slow working about ever 3 or 4 years if they are used much.  Sorry to tear your tractor apart like this but facts are facts.  I had one for 5 years doing custom haying.  Run it on the baler and grapple to pick up 8 bales at a time.  Way to much tractor for 4 A. but have fun and do what ever you want, it is your tractor.

The 7' disk is all I have, I would like to get a disk maybe around 10', but I'm going to use this one for now. All of these old tractor drink the gas so that's not a big worry. I have a 3 spool valve that I will add to the tractor for the loader so that will give me another port on the front for a grapple. I'm planning on painting the tractor red, a lot of people back in the day painted them with the white so they looked more modern. This does have the TA and it works great!. The fenders are the correct size but they are mounted to low. I will get spacers to put under them so they will stand a little taller then the tires. The same fenders were also used on the C, H, M, 300, 400 and probably a couple more models. The drawbar isn't to bad, it's not missing the roller, the 400 does not have a roller.  I'm going to buy a 3-pt quick hitch and mount it to the 2-pt draw bar (like the photo attached) but this one will be attached to the 2-pt drawbar it's self so I can still have a drawbar at all times.  Fast hitch attachments are very hard to find around here, they all went to the scrap and what ever is left over is very expensive, this way I can use the same attachments from tractor to tractor. The loader won't be useless with power steering, it'll be harder to steer but it will work for now, I have a steering valve and cylinder so I can convert it over to power steering when I get the time. I did this same thing to my Kubota and it works great. I know those charlyn power steering systems aren't cheap, I have sold lots of them through the years when parting out tractors. The valves aren't leaking yet, hopefully they will last me a while.

I am starting out with 4 acres, I am hoping to lease or buy around 10 t0 25 acres, I will like to get up to 50 acres if I can afford it. This tractor was a reasonable price and I didn't want to ruin my little 20hp Kubota working it to hard.

FH_with_3-PT_Quick_Hitch_1e-297x231-307x

#15 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 09:30 PM

Just wondering
Noel

It is a 400 and it is a 1955