12 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 08:55 PM

After I got my Qt 16 running a while back I thought all was working OK.  Parked it in the shed a few days ago.  Went to get it this evening to mow a little dead grass in the garden.  Would not start.  Turned over good but acted like no fuel.  Fuel pump was running and I knew there was fuel in the tank but checked anyway.  Yep, over half tank.  Took the air cleaner cover off and dribbled a little gas down the carb.  Turned the key and it fired up.  Put the cover on and it about died.  Second time oil started to blow up out the crank case vet tube.  Shut it down.  Got the other mower out and did the mowing.  About 1/2 hour later I checked the oil in the QT.  About 3" over full.  Gas had seeped through the fuel pump and carb and ran down into the crank case.  Tank outlet is under the tank mount plate and not accessible.  Will have to put the fuel shut off in the line after the fuel pump ahead of the carb.  I knew I should have put on in but due to the accessibility problem I didn't.  Motor only ran for a few seconds so hope I didn't hurt it any.  Live and learn.  School of hard knocks.

• Gtractor, MH81, LPBolens and 5 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Hopefully all you did was flush everything.
I'm sure additional wear occurred, but hope it's not to much.

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 09:46 PM

If the fuel pump is operating off crankcase pressure it could leak internal and go straight to the crankcase and bypass the carb.

• boyscout862 and Paulgo have said thanks

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 859 Thanks
  • 491 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 06:16 AM

I'm surprised you had difficulty starting it.

When my Speedex (16 Vanguard V-Twin) did that it would start real easy then quit when all the gasoline came up the breather and flooded the carb.  By the time I figured it out I'd started it several times.

After an oil change it was smoking and stinking pretty good so I was concerned I'd damaged rings/cylinder/piston.  After a couple hours though all the oil burned out of the muffler and it was fine.

Unless you bent a rod against a cylinder full of gasoline I think you'll be fine.

#5 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 06:33 AM

At least you saved it from a horrible ending. If it still runs you should be ok with it.

#6 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 06:47 AM

After I got my Qt 16 running a while back I thought all was working OK. Parked it in the shed a few days ago. Went to get it this evening to mow a little dead grass in the garden. Would not start. Turned over good but acted like no fuel. Fuel pump was running and I knew there was fuel in the tank but checked anyway. Yep, over half tank. Took the air cleaner cover off and dribbled a little gas down the carb. Turned the key and it fired up. Put the cover on and it about died. Second time oil started to blow up out the crank case vet tube. Shut it down. Got the other mower out and did the mowing. About 1/2 hour later I checked the oil in the QT. About 3" over full. Gas had seeped through the fuel pump and carb and ran down into the crank case. Tank outlet is under the tank mount plate and not accessible. Will have to put the fuel shut off in the line after the fuel pump ahead of the carb. I knew I should have put on in but due to the accessibility problem I didn't. Motor only ran for a few seconds so hope I didn't hurt it any. Live and learn. School of hard knocks.

Aside from changing the oil, a new pump diaphragm is definitely in order to prevent the problem again.

I would think your engine would be just fine wear wise.

On some engines, depending on carb setup, this can happen from a sticky float too.

Keep us posted;)

Edited by stiemmy, August 17, 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 08:00 AM

The way this one is set up it has an electric fuel pump.  The bottom of the gas tank sits lower than the carb so gravity will only get about 1/2 the fuel before that plays out.   It is the original fuel pump.  It was working OK as I tested it and flushed it good before installing it.  Will drain the "oil" and run a little fresh through to get all the gas out I can.  Will have to put the shut off valve near the top of the engine as it makes the bend up to the carb.  Lift the hood to turn the valve on and off.  Little unhandy but better than nothing by far.  Heading that way now so will know in a while.

• stiemmy said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 09:41 AM

You may be able to find an electric shutoff? A solenoid that actuated open following power to the pump?
  • chieffan said thank you

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 10:18 AM

You may be able to find an electric shutoff? A solenoid that actuated open following power to the pump?

Going to look for one of them.  Only ones I have seen are part of the carb.  Drained it good, pint of oil run through.  Good wipe down on what i could get at.  Fresh fill of oil and it fired right up.  Smoked when it got to warming up for oil on the engine and exhaust pips, etc.  Mowed some dead grass along the edge of the garden and it ran great and quit smoking.  Think I am OK and got lucky on this one.  Now to remember to turn the fuel on and off.  Do it all the time on the tube frame and RAM.  Might have to put a reminder on the steering wheel or some place prominent.

• MH81, stiemmy and Paulgo have said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Maybe site sponsors?
  • chieffan said thank you

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 01:12 PM

Maybe site sponsors?

Will do some checking.  Tec used them on their carb on the singles and I believe Kohler did too.  Found one but was $90.  Cost prohibitive.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 01:39 PM

Found this ?
https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B007N0GRIE

#13 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 06:18 PM

Found this ?https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B007N0GRIE

Nice thing with those is its all automatic with the ignition.
  • MH81 said thank you