• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:46 PM

I was mowing with the 800 when all of a sudden it started revving out of control and the throttle wasn't working, so I pulled out the choke to slow it down a bit and turned it off.... Dummy me when I put on the carb I forgot to put on the retaining ring on the governor lever and it fell off into the lawn which is why I lost throttle control :wallbanging:
Luckily After about 30 minutes I found it intact in the lawn.

So then I put it back on , this time I put the retaining clip on LOL.
I went to pull start it and nothing.... Pull it again and still nothing. I take the plug out and no spark!

I look at all the connections and everything is fine. I then go to the points and clean them up a bit and take out some sitting oil in the bottom of the points box and go to pull start it again and still no spark!
At this point I'm thinking WTF could be wrong I just put a new coil in a few weeks ago. Finally after about 30 minutes of looking for the problem I decide to take the coil out and put in anther one... sure enough I was getting spark with the new coil.

I got the coil at NAPA and it says made in china.... I'ts only about 2 weeks old and I cant believe it went!
Anyone know what could have caused it to go?
I finished the lawn with the other coil with no problems at all.

#2 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:00 PM

Sounds like the kind of luck that I have Brian. At least you figured out the problem and have a working tractor. Hopefully you will be able to get a replacement at NAPA without cost. I'm sure that nowadays it is next to impossible to find parts that are not made overseas. Let us know how you make out.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:04 PM

I was mowing with the 800 when all of a sudden it started revving out of control and the throttle wasn't working, so I pulled out the choke to slow it down a bit and turned it off.... Dummy me when I put on the carb I forgot to put on the retaining ring on the governor lever and it fell off into the lawn which is why I lost throttle control :wallbanging:

I went to pull start it and nothing.... Pull it again and still nothing. I take the plug out and no spark!

I look at all the connections and everything is fine. I then go to the points and clean them up a bit and take out some sitting oil in the bottom of the points box and go to pull start it again and still no spark!
At this point I'm thinking WTF could be wrong I just put a new coil in a few weeks ago. Finally after about 30 minutes of looking for the problem I decide to take the coil out and put in anther one... sure enough I was getting spark with the new coil.

I got the coil at NAPA and it says made in china.... I'ts only about 2 weeks old and I cant believe it went!

I don't think anything really caused it to go. Just bum luck and coincidence. Glad you were able to find the piece for the governor in the grass. Hopefully you will have better luck with the next coil.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Yeah It seems like I've been having quite a few break downs this year........

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:07 PM

I don't remember, was that an internal resistor coil? The other thing you may want to check is voltage output from your generator. It may be high and cooking your coil.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:11 PM

I don't remember, was that an internal resistor coil? The other thing you may want to check is voltage output from your generator. It may be high and cooking your coil.

I'm not running a generator...... Its just a toggle switch as the on and off for power to the coil.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:11 PM

Yes it is a internal resistor

#8 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:14 PM

says made in china....

• mikebramel said thank you

#9 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:27 PM

You are just not having any luck this year doc.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 04:41 AM

I sorry to hear that you are having bad luck Brian.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 06:31 AM

If you get another one of the Napa coils check the resistance to make sure it is roughly the same as the original stock part. It could be that the coils are for use with an external resistor and there has been a mixup somewhere. If the resistance is OK then it could be your voltage is high or it spiked high when the governor disconnected. I'd check the voltage when it is running to make sure it's OK.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#12 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 12:22 AM

Don't get too upset in the coil Brian... I just fried the mag on the 88 Craftsman after the rewire. I sent 12 volts to the magneto which was actually not required to make it run... that wire... was for the ground to kill... And worse than that, I have to pull the engine to get the front half of the motor off to get the shroud off to get to the magneto... So I am looking at about half a day fix for a well thought through rewire project that had one little mistake in the drawing of the schematic... The magneto was the one electrical component that I did NOT want to replace in the rewire project. But I am glad I saw this thread cause I will NOT put anything less than USA brand in that tough to get to location!

#13 jupiter OFFLINE  

jupiter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1880
  • 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 03:30 AM

Was it a returned one? Thats how I got stuck with a new regulator that over-charged, blowing my 20amp fuse. I didn't give it any second thoughts that the box was opened up. Aftering opening the case up, I could see some tell-tale marks that someone before me tried to adjust it. Having bought it new for 75 dollars I had to make it work as I was stuck with it. Took me many hours to get a non-adjustable regulator back in spec.

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 08:03 AM

no, it was new... the package was still sealed.
Guess I'm going to get an OEM one this time

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:56 PM

I've heard of many OEM Kohler coils doing the same thing when almost new. Just bad luck & bad craftsmanship on the manufacturer's part.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you