• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,173 Thanks
  • 30,808 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:20 PM

Finally we had a good drying couple of days. Actually had hot sun today. So we got 23 loads of manure on the alfalfa field. My son Josh had the day off to spend with his son, so we would have gotten 46 loads out. Takes 80 to 90 to empty it.
Planned to finish planting corn Monday, plus spread more manure. Well, one heck of a downpour storm just rolled through, so likely put over an inch back into the pit, which we only pumped about a foot out! Now with more rain possible over the weekend, planting is now put off yet again. The field will be too wet for manure spreading also. This has been the most frustrating & costly spring ever in my life. :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging:
Sorry for my rant, but this is getting mighty old! I know I am nowhere near alone in this, but that doesn't make me feel better.

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,390 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:25 PM

Look on the bright side.
Judgement day must have been miscalculated again.
So that means it's going to be a long, warm fall.:D

Hope it dries up for you soon.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,354 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Look on the bright side.

Did anyone here that on the news today ? Today is supposed to be the last day on Earth,some guy down in the States has predicted that the world is going to end tomorrow.
Man,I better put a rush on, and get my tractors restored.:D:D:D:D:D

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,173 Thanks
  • 30,808 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Look on the bright side.
So that means it's going to be a long, warm fall.:D

Hope it dries up for you soon.

Guess I can grab hold of that for a silver lining. But for each day not planted after May 15th, you lose about 1% yield, so I've already lost 6% and will likely make it to at least 10% before I get it in the ground.

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,302 Thanks
  • 1,535 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:46 PM

Sorry to hear about the rain.You can rest assured that your not alone.It just started to dry up enough here so that farmers could get some planting done,and now its raining again.With the ground being saturated like it is it doesn't take much rain to put things on hold for a week or even possibly two.Its been really bad here for the last few years many farmers are hanging up there hats.Can't help but feel bad for them,and then you get ones saying things well you shouldn't have taken that profession.Be like us and get a real job.You can always go to the store and buy what you want.Now you tell me this where in the world does the food etc: in the store come from? If it wasn't for the farmers what would the people be eating.Holy cow it burns me when people say that to me.Sorry about the rant as well.Larry

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 39,173 Thanks
  • 30,808 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Hey, I appreciate your rant Larry! If we get to where the US & Canada depend on foreign countries for our food, we're in BIG trouble.....much worse than we could ever imagine. If we think big oil is bad, we haven't seen the half of it. We have the cheapest food in the world, but it's not going to stay that way. I hear ya Larry....lets just get our food from the grocery stores! :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging: Some people just don't have a clue do they!

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,390 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:55 PM

Sorry to hear about the rain.You can rest assured that your not alone.It just started to dry up enough here so that farmers could get some planting done,and now its raining again.With the ground being saturated like it is it doesn't take much rain to put things on hold for a week or even possibly two.Its been really bad here for the last few years many farmers are hanging up there hats.Can't help but feel bad for them,and then you get ones saying things well you shouldn't have taken that profession.Be like us and get a real job.You can always go to the store and buy what you want.Now you tell me this where in the world does the food etc: in the store come from? If it wasn't for the farmers what would the people be eating.Holy cow it burns me when people say that to me.Sorry about the rant as well.Larry

The folks in china are seeing this, and sending their genetically altered crap over
here and getting rich.
Buy North American.

That's quite a drop in yeild Olcowhand. I had no idea.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:26 PM

I think China is having it's own problems with drought and floods affecting it's food production. It's a big country like USA and Canada and has a lot of climate variations. We have had nothing but rain here on the east coast of Canada since the first of May. I was hoping to get the garden tilled this weekend but it is raining again today. Maybe Monday.

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,960 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:53 PM

Did anyone here that on the news today ? Today is supposed to be the last day on Earth,some guy down in the States has predicted that the world is going to end tomorrow.
Man,I better put a rush on, and get my tractors restored.:D:D:D:D:D

Drinking beer now, just in case. Only an hour and 10 minutes to go before he goes from "See er to "Crackpot". Happy end of the world everyone!

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 10:05 PM

sorry to hear about the rain.you can rest assured that your not alone.it just started to dry up enough here so that farmers could get some planting done,and now its raining again.with the ground being saturated like it is it doesn't take much rain to put things on hold for a week or even possibly two.its been really bad here for the last few years many farmers are hanging up there hats.can't help but feel bad for them,and then you get ones saying things well you shouldn't have taken that profession.be like us and get a real job.you can always go to the store and buy what you want.now you tell me this where in the world does the food etc: In the store come from? If it wasn't for the farmers what would the people be eating.holy cow it burns me when people say that to me.sorry about the rant as well.larry

ditto!!!

#11 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 10:07 PM

Hey, I appreciate your rant Larry! If we get to where the US & Canada depend on foreign countries for our food, we're in BIG trouble.....much worse than we could ever imagine. If we think big oil is bad, we haven't seen the half of it. We have the cheapest food in the world, but it's not going to stay that way. I hear ya Larry....lets just get our food from the grocery stores! :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging: Some people just don't have a clue do they!

Dan, You hit the nail on the head there.

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,703 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 06:23 AM

Well Daniel, the world didn't end yesterday, but hopefully the rain did. Hope you get your planting in soon. Good luck.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,545 Thanks
  • 7,298 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hope the weather gets better for you , we too have had rain almost every day for over a week. Yesterday only an afternoon shower , And it looks like rain today , Al

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,746 Thanks
  • 44,529 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 06:50 AM

It's very humid here right now. Chance for rain thru the middle of the week. Hope it dries up some first, yard is spongy right now. When they built this addition, they used clay for a base. It's about a foot down and holds water on top.
Daniel, I'm hoping it holds off so you get the planting complete real soon. I worked with my daughter and son-in-law in western Kansas for three years through corn harvest. We ground the corn for a couple feed lots out there and packed it into pits. Long, hot days and short nights for month.

#15 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 07:05 PM

Just got a ton of rain and Hail.
Looks like some of my corn is running down the ditch.