• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 349 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 07:42 PM

Go to the manuals section of this sight under engine manuals first entry is Briggs & Stratton 128 manuals are listed. The manuals on this sight are a wonderful resource.  I believe that in the manuals it will give you a guide as to how long to operate the starter at continuously and how long it needs to rest/cool in between. You will also find carb cleaning instructions and a wealth of other information. The manuals section is the third tab at the top of this page. Don

Edited by secondtry, August 31, 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#17 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 349 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 08:50 PM

Carburetors are are replaced much more often than necessary. I have disassembled cleaned a reassembled many carburetors with the only expense being carburetor cleaner. Unless I can identify defective parts why would I buy a rebuild kit to replace them. I have also ran engines without a carburetor. Put a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug hole reinstall the plug and fire it up. A good engine will run for a second or two. Don   

Edited by secondtry, August 31, 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#18 Afrowookie OFFLINE  

Afrowookie
  • Member No: 83555
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 31, 2016 - 09:43 PM

Hi thanks for the replies, I will try to disassemble to whole carb next and clean it.  I have already tried to put a bit of gas in the spark plug holes and then replace the plugs and tried to start it.  It seems to want to run and sputter but it doesn't quite want to run on it's own.  Maybe I didn't put enough gas in it.

Edited by Afrowookie, August 31, 2016 - 10:31 PM.

#19 Afrowookie OFFLINE  

Afrowookie
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Hey again,

So I took apart the carb and cleaned as best I could.  Cleaned the main jet, high speed idle, and the low speed idle jets and still the engine won't run.  I have tried spraying gas into the carb inlet and it seems to want to run, as in sputtering and can see the exhaust blowing out smoke and even pouring about a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug holes and it seems to want to start but will cut out immediately as soon as I let go of the ignition key and I am assuming when the little but of gas runs out. So according to the manual if the engine is cold, supposed to start it with choke pulled out and throttle in about half position which I am doing.  What I did notice is that the throttle from full speed to the slowest speed, the throttle flap that moves inside the carb does not move very much.  At full throttle the flap is completely flat which makes sense.  But going from full to the slowest throttle speed, the flap barely moves at all, only about a 1/4 movement, the flap can still move a lot more before it's closed off.  Is this normal?  Should I adjust the throttle, or does this still sound like I need a Carb rebuild kit?

#20 Afrowookie OFFLINE  

Afrowookie
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 07:30 PM

Hey all I'm back again,

So I got a carb rebuild kit and installed it.  Stupid kit cost me $150 incl shipping and it didn't even come with replacement jets.  Any who, I actually had it running for a few seconds but that's with spraying a couple of squirts of gas into the carb intake.  But as I was about to fiddle with the carb adjustments and testing it, the damned gear on the starting motor stripped on me.  I know it's only plastic or nylon, but why would this happen?  Do I need a better gear on the starter or is the flywheel providing too much resistance and there is something else wrong?    Can you get metal gears so this won't happen again?

#21 64fleetside ONLINE  

64fleetside
  • Member No: 77612
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 07:32 PM

The nylon gears get brittle with age, a new one will last another 10+ yrs.

#22 Afrowookie OFFLINE  

Afrowookie
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 08:45 PM

This was brand new starter, hence brand new gear.  It wore out after about 10-15 starts.