Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 03:29 PM

Little brother [small than me but MUCH older] got the idea he wanted to build a soapbox derby car and race it. 

Saturday was the big race in Kansas City @ Roanoke Park.  The park features excellent hills and curves.  As I understand, a curved track is rare but much appreciated by competitors in this sport.  The drawback is there was no way for spectators to see the entire track. 

The bright yellow car named SplinterZ is brothers.  [littlebird username on GTT - Kevin is his name] He built it in the last two months with whatever he could find laying around.  The rear wheels are from a wheelchair that had been laying outside and the bearings were locked up with rust! 

The guy that won, races all over the United States.  His car is wicked!  After the race he told my brother if he'd had good wheel bearings he'd have a much faster car and would have placed better. 

As it was Kevin got 4th out of 22 cars entered.  A very impressive showing for his first build and first time racing. 

Third pic is a line of the racers being towed back up the hill.  One of the requirements was a tow hook on front and rear of your car for this purpose.

SplinterZ.jpg ,soap 1.jpg ,soap 2.jpg ,

I really liked the styling of the silver roadster car although it wasn't aerodynamic enough to be all that competitive.  Sometimes you just have to be stylish. :smilewink:   There was a stiff breeze blowing right up the track all day making aerodynamics more important than usual.

soap 3.jpg ,soap 4.jpg ,soap 5.jpg ,

Middle picture is of the only crash all day.  Seems Team SplinterZ [with matching yellow T-shirts] was cheering so loudly the guy running the tow car thought something was wrong and stopped abruptly.  These race cars have very little brake ability so they couldn't stop as quick as the tow car did.  Since they were hooked together it set off a chain reaction crash, flipping one racer on its side. Luckily there were no injuries.

soap 6.jpg ,soap 7.jpg ,soap 8.jpg ,

Middle picture is with canopy open for some fresh air.  Temps weren't bad for the race but he's been practicing for the last week or two to make sure the car would turn and hold together.  The last two weeks the heat was bad.  So much that he put a battery powered fan in the cockpit to cool him down and keep the windows from fogging over.   Last pic is Team SplinterZ camp, waiting on the next race.  If you look closely you will notice a KCMO uniformed police officer, sitting far right, keeping an eye on us so we don't cause any more problems.  :shoot2:

soap 9.jpg ,soap 10.jpg ,soap 11.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, August 15, 2016 - 03:32 PM.

• massey driver, DougT, Bruce Dorsi and 5 others have said thanks

#2 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 04:05 PM

As a kid we made many a soap box car. Living in B.C. we had a hill behind our house with a curve in the road. It was actually in a old abondoned sawmill so there was no vehicle traffic just us neighbour kids building and racing against each other.. Some of the cars we made were a 2 x 4 for a front steering axle with wheels on the end of the 2x4 the main frame was a 1x10 and the back axle was a 2x4 with wheels on each end as well. The steering was simply a hole through the front 2x4 [axle ] in the middle with a bolt throught the front of the 1x10. Steering was done just by using a rope tie to each front corner of the front axle. We never made anything fancy like what your brother made.All I can say is we had many a race and lots of fun.

• Gtractor, Bruce Dorsi, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#3 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 04:22 PM

Looks like fun was had by all :thumbs:

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Looks like a fun day. I liked the roadster too. A lot of nice cars.

Like massey driver I built many of these things. We would beg the local grocery store for their damaged carts to get the ball bearing wheels off.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 06:09 PM

As a kid we made many a soap box car. Living in B.C. we had a hill behind our house with a curve in the road. It was actually in a old abondoned sawmill so there was no vehicle traffic just us neighbour kids building and racing against each other.. Some of the cars we made were a 2 x 4 for a front steering axle with wheels on the end of the 2x4 the main frame was a 1x10 and the back axle was a 2x4 with wheels on each end as well. The steering was simply a hole through the front 2x4 [axle ] in the middle with a bolt throught the front of the 1x10. Steering was done just by using a rope tie to each front corner of the front axle. We never made anything fancy like what your brother made.All I can say is we had many a race and lots of fun.

How did you fasten your axles to the 2x4's. I hammered a thousand nails down the lenth of the axle then bent them over. Lol

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 04:45 PM

How did you fasten your axles to the 2x4's. I hammered a thousand nails down the lenth of the axle then bent them over. Lol

we always seemed to have a short piece of 1/2 rod to use with a hole in the end to put a nail through to hold the wheel on.. The rod was nailed to the under side of the 2x4 of course using nails and bending them over as well .

• Sawdust said thank you