• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 12:47 PM

Not sure if this has been answered but, does the steering wheel of the Duratrac/GTX w/hydr steering ever return to it's original position, or once it moves off center it stays there?

I finally got the adapters/fasteners mod'ed/bought to install my flat bottom steering wheel and am trying to decide where to position it.  I'm not sure just how much it will help but I'll use it for the rest of the summer and see. It gained me 1 1/4" of additional clearance between the wheel and seat.

Attached Thumbnails

• Adapters.jpg
  • Flat wheel 2.jpg
  • Flat wheel 1.jpg

#2 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 02:20 PM

If it's like any of the power steering GTs I've worked on, the answer is no.  There is no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering arm.  It's all done with fluid transfer.  My suggestion would be to turn the wheel to the desired position before starting.  The steering wheel will spin with little wheel/tire turn with the engine off.  It may not be perfect, but it would keep it close.

I know a guy that had a go-fast boat with hydro steering (hydraulic cylinder steering, not regular power steering), and it drove him nuts because the steering wheel was never centered.  He even tried repositioning the steering wheel a couple times before taking it to the dealer.  They explained it to him.  =)

Good luck with yours, and hope it doesn't drive you too batty! 

Billy

Edited by Billy M, August 15, 2016 - 02:21 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and DL-North have said thanks

#3 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 957 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 02:29 PM

In short, no. As Billy M stated, it is simply the nature of hydraulic steering. For center positioning, you'll have to center the wheel before you start out. As long as you don't over steer it by turning the wheel past the reistance point or full wheel lock it should stay relatively centered as you need it, but they do tend to wander a bit.

Edited by ClassicBolens, August 15, 2016 - 02:33 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and DL-North have said thanks

#4 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 07:19 PM

Thanks guys,

That was what I was thinking but wanted to ask.  Ya, I'm hoping it doesn't bother me, but then the std wheel also has a "centered" position based on the 3 spokes.  What I need to do is keep the gk's off of it, they love sitting on it and turning the wheel, which then puts it off center.

Dan  

#5 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 07:37 AM

Unfortunately, that home position will walk on you just in regular use of the tractor. Mine moves around in just one mowing.

I could certainly see where that flat-bottomed wheel would seem useful though. For being a large tractor, the GTX's have a really tight operating space.
  • DL-North said thank you