Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How easy does your power steering turn on your 1886?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 06:35 AM

Hi Chev thank you for the ideas. So you have had one of these cessna's apart? Mine will come apart easy now that it has been apart once.  When I picked it up he told me to go ahead and take it apart again if I wanted to see how it was made. Unfortunately i was not in the shop when they figured out how to get it apart. So I don't know how tight the spool fit in there. I'm guessing that there should not be a lot of clearance between the spool and the bore? 

I'm going to try my test with the piston rod disconnected from the frame of the tractor to see it actually cycle in/out. I think I'll end up taking the cessna apart again. I like your idea of using a shim between the orings and the bore. I've got some pretty thin plastic sheet that I used when I installed some oil seals in a transaxle on my 853. You really have me wondering if there is a ripped oring or something.

One note, before I took the cylinder off of the cessna control valve I could put my fingers over the in and out ports on the cessna and could cycle the piston rod in/out with almost no resistance. That told me there was an issue internal somewhere. I should not be able to move that rod if the control valve ports are blocked off. After I remove the complete unit I will try that test again before I take the cessna apart. I did not try that test before I installed it because there was no oil in it and I did not want to damage anything.

I like the thoughts of knowing that an HT series setup will work on here. I doubt I'll ever pursue that as the price of a 2nd power steering for this tractor would not be worth it. Well thanks for all your thoughts on this I will keep you posted. 

#17 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 06:16 PM

Well I tried my experiment tonight. I removed the piston rod end from the frame of the tractor so that I could cycle the rod in/out. It moves in/out. That verifies that the plumbing is correct and that the flow divider spool is installed the correct way on the proportioning valve.  

I believe that the control valve is getting enough pressure from the system or else I would think that none of my other external hydraulics would work i.e plow, angle etc... 

The interesting part as I suspected is that I can also put a board in the palm of my hand and stop the rod from moving. That tells me there is some internal leakage in the cessna control valve. I believe the leakage is in the control valve because prior to the rebuild I could cover the two ports with my fingers and still cycle the rod in/out with little resistance. I'll try that test again after I remove it from the tractor.

I'll remove the cessna and take it apart as my next move. I attached a video of the rod moving in/out.

Attached Files

Edited by Husky, August 18, 2016 - 06:20 PM.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#18 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 12:05 PM

So if you have a chance I'd be curious on the cessna that you posted pictures of, if you put your fingers over the in and out ports could you cycle the piston rod in/out very easy? On mine I could cycle it in/out with my fingers over the ports before it was rebuilt. I'm thinking mine may still be leaking by internally in the spool section. I have not taken it back off yet but when I do I want to try that test again before I take apart the spool section of the cessna. I'm thinking of plugging those two ports and try cycling the piston rod in/out and see if I get any resistance.

#19 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Here is a picture of the disassembled spool that the shop took when he had it apart. I'm wondering if the score marks on the lands are an indication of oil leaking by internally. I have not disassembled it again yet. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Img_2845m.jpg

• LPBolens said thank you

#20 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 06:38 PM

I can tell you that the PS on my 1886-01 takes more effort that the PS on the HDT1000.

It does OK, and is definitely a lot better than not having it at all.

When you have a fairly heavy load on the forks every little bit helps.

I can also tell you that if you have something like a Haban Flail-Mo hanging off the front you will definitely long for PS.  I have a Flail-Mo on a non-PS HT20D, and it takes a LOT of effort to turn the wheel and you have to be moving if you want the wheels to turn.  At a stand still you just aren't going to turn the steering wheel.

• Husky, LPBolens and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#21 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Thank you oldbuzzard. I think those cessna style are prone to wear out as mine probably is. I'm guessing that the spool is worn.