Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Do Brinly plows on a Bolens cut full width?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 07:32 PM

The inside of the right tire rides IN the Furrow against the furrow wall.  Not on the furrow wall.  Sounds like some run with their right rear tire on undisturbed ground.  Other run with the right rear in the furrow.  Growing up on a farm I turned a lot of dirt and always run the right rear in the furrow and the lead share lapped about 1" into the furrow.  This is what I am trying to duplicate with the GT and Brinly plow.  I need to get the plow further to the left on the tra

Pretty much what I meant just typed it wrong. LOL

• chieffan said thank you

#17 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 07:40 PM

It's nice to have the same cut of sod as the rear tire thou, so the rear tire is not running up on the previous cut sod, and changing the plow angle in the next cut. 10" sod , 10" tire. The angle would get worse with every sod cut, 8" sod 10" tire. Just my opinion.

Noel
  • DH1, CRFarnsworth, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#18 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 08:01 PM

It's nice to have the same cut of sod as the rear tire thou, so the rear tire is not running up on the previous cut sod, and changing the plow angle in the next cut. 10" sod , 10" tire. The angle would get worse with every sod cut, 8" sod 10" tire. Just my opinion.

Noel

I agree that's why for a sleeve hitch plow I like the 8.50" wide tire, seems to fit the furrow.

• propane1, chieffan and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 06:37 AM

If you run the tire against the wall and follow the setup in the manual we have here, you will do just fine. Yes, it's nice to pull a full 10, but not mandatory and there are dirt plots out there you will wish for less bite. (Only thing this is missing is rebar to call it concrete...)

Big plows have the advantage of weight. They will stay in the ground and go deeper than our rigs. Sometimes a plow day has the perfect ground and conditions and sometimes you fight to get penetration. The basics are all the same from ours to a bigger plow, but sometimes the physics of reduced size does play a part.

Set it up as per the manual, and go have fun. Minor tweaks from there.
And if you watch the guy who is having the most fun, his furrow isn't significantly different, he is just looking back less. :D

Oh, and there is always one grump. I was chastised last year at PA Plow Day for digging deeper than the guy behind me thought I should. I was rolling 7-8". Maybe he was tired of tipping to the right, maybe I helped him scuff his undercarriage, maybe he high centered, maybe his wife was nagging at him for something. After a short worry session, I gave up giving a crap.
  • olcowhand, DH1, Alc and 7 others have said thanks

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 07:37 AM

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  • DH1, Alc, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#21 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 02:57 PM

I got the 8.50 tires to keep from running tight against the furrow wall and running over turned ground to much.  I figured a 9 - 10" cut with 8.50 tires would work just fine.  Just have to get the plow moved over a  bit.

• MH81 and propane1 have said thanks

#22 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 04:52 PM

S U C C E S S ! ! !  Turned the hitch on the plow over with the off set to the right.  Used the center hole to pin it to the sleeve hitch.  Made 4 passes and it worked great.  Need a little more suck but that is minor.  Even scoured good, a quick wipe with a burlap rag and it was clean.  Will grease it in the morning.  Tractor is a G12 with a 14 Tec re-power.  Tires are full of fluid and had very little slippage.  Thanks for the help on this.  It was really starting to bug me as I knew it wasn't right.  I owe you guy one on this.  Is this good black soil or what  ? ?

Plowing-1.JPG   Plowing-2.JPG

Plowing-3.JPG   Plowing-4.JPG

• DH1, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#23 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 05:06 PM

Is this good black soil or what  ? ?

Why yes it is!!!       It looks a lot like dirt.  :D 

Glad you got to turn some soil finally.  A little fine tuning and you will be having a lot of fun!    :thumbs:         Rick

#24 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 05:10 PM

Glad you got it working better.  :thumbs:

#25 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 05:59 PM

That looks great. The land slide looks perfect. And the sods are nice. About how deep are you and how deep is the coulter cutting. Was it easy pulling? You must have a lot of lift on your sleeve hitch. Sorry for all the questions.

Noel

#26 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 06:48 PM

That looks great. The land slide looks perfect. And the sods are nice. About how deep are you and how deep is the coulter cutting. Was it easy pulling? You must have a lot of lift on your sleeve hitch. Sorry for all the questions.

Noel

Was going about 4 - 4.5" deep.  Would like a little deeper to cover the weeds etc. better.  Coulter is running about 2", which is about right for the amount of stuff I was turning over.It didn't pull hard at all.  One place I lost a bit of traction on the land side.  Got to push that lever a bunch to get the plow to clear.  Looking at putting a spring assist on it.  At least it will do the job a lot better later this fall when the gardening is done.

Edited by chieffan, August 16, 2016 - 06:49 PM.

• MH81, propane1 and ejones037 have said thanks

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 09:18 PM

:dancingbanana: glad you got to see the bottom side of your dirt

#28 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 09:53 PM

Glad you got it working to your specs.

There is am adjustment to the landslide that will give you an adjustment to the cut.  I liked the first hookup you had as it sent the center of draft on your plow closer to the center of you plow.  Than adjust the screw on the landslide to the cut you desire.

I think We need some plow schools out here at plow days.  Just a thought

• MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#29 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 04:43 PM

The soil and the plowing both look good. In your last picture I noticed the rear bolt for the hitch was in the bottom hole, it should be in the top one. From the bit of rust on it it looks like the previous owner had it in the top hole too. I don't know if that will improve the suck or not, but it is worth a try. If you look closely at the pictures in the manual, you will see they are like the picture below.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg

• MH81, Alc, CRFarnsworth and 3 others have said thanks

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 06:23 AM

I've never noticed that and I don't think any of mine are set up that way.
Mine work fine the straight way, but I will try the other way too, just to see.

BTW! I don't think it would affect "suck" as much as "lift". Ryan's tractor always had a bit of a lift clearance issue and way more down than it needed. I wonder if this is part of the issue.