Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Do Brinly plows on a Bolens cut full width?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 11:40 AM

I have the angle set right.  Going about 5"+ deep.  Plow is mounted in the far right hole to move the plow as far to the left as possible.  Plow beam is running straight with the tractor.  Rear tires are 23 X 8.50-12, same as the standard tires.  Tractor is a G12 with 14 Tec. engine.  Still can only cut about 2/3 of the bottom width.  The other 1/3 is in the previous furrow.  Is this normal?  Have not found the same view on other tractors with plows to see if they all are this way.  The sleeve hitch is custom built to Bolens specs.  The piece of flat iron is to keep the plow from swinging when it is lifted.  Any suggestions is appreciated.

Plow-4.JPG   Plow-1.JPG   Plow-3.JPG    Plow-2.JPG

• propane1 said thank you

#2 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Roger,

You need the plow set fully to the right. You have it on the left. It will naturally go more to the left when it is in contact with the earth.

Mike

• chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 04:06 PM

Roger,

You need the plow set fully to the right. You have it on the left. It will naturally go more to the left when it is in contact with the earth.

Mike

I don't follow your line of thinking Mike.  If the plow is attached further to the right, that will move the entire plow to the right.  The land slide will keep the plow straight and parallel with the beam.  I have tried it set where you suggested and only cut about 1/3rd of width of the share as the landslide kept it straight.  The plow cannot be pulled at an angle, the land slide will not allow that.  Got me lost now.

#4 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 04:09 PM

When you are setting up a plow you need to raise the left tires front and rear on approx. 5" blocks to simulate the tractor being in a furrow. I'm pretty sure you want to rotate the 3 hole hitch plate 180 degrees and set the pin in the middle hole. You need to lose the piece of steel keeping the plow from rocking back and forth. Adjust the stop bolts so the plow will pivot back and forth 4 to 5"s. You need it to pivot back and forth a few inches. It will center itself. Set the land slide flush with the ground. The Brinly manual spells it all out.

• MH81, propane1, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 04:22 PM

I did the 5" rise of the left side tires when I set the angle.  The 3 hole hitch is where it was when I got the plow so will have to change that.  I better find a Brinly manual that shows all of this.   I agree that the plow will center itself parallel with the beam.  Depending on where it is attached to the hitch will determine the cut in relation to the rear tires.  What I don't understand is how moving the attaching point to the right will make the plow cut a full width of the share when1/2 of the share will be behind the rear tire and in the furrow?

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 04:23 PM

Just a thought, if you take the two bolts out of the plow, at the sleeve hitch end and turn the part you put the pin through, upside down and put your two bolts back in, maybe that will allow you to move the plow more to the left and be in line with your rear tire. Also when in the furrow with your tires, that will change the angle of the plow away from your tire some. Just some ideas. Could be wrong.

Noel.
  • CRFarnsworth and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 04:45 PM

I found a manual, which I had not prior, it helps a lot.  Kyocum and propane1 your both right on the hitch.  I need to turn it over and this will move the entire plow to the LEFT, which is what I need.  Rotating it makes a big difference of the center position.  Thanks for the advise.  Will play with it more Wednesday afternoon.  tomorrow is tied up delivering mowers, VA appointment and check out another Bolens.  Wed. morning a trip after a 6 X 8 trailer I bought.

#8 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 05:01 PM

Roger
The plow should follow your right tire. In the picture it's in the center of your machine and if I'm correct the pin holding the plow to the hitch is on the right hole. Try moving the pin to the left hole which will bring the plow towards the right tire.

#9 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 05:05 PM

I have the same sized tires on my 1054, and have the plow set up as Kyocum suggests. It works great for me.

Jim

#10 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 05:09 PM

Roger
The plow should follow your right tire. In the picture it's in the center of your machine and if I'm correct the pin holding the plow to the hitch is on the right hole. Try moving the pin to the left hole which will bring the plow towards the right tire.

You have it backwards case442. The inside of the right tire rides on the furrow wall so if you move the plow hookup to the right you will be taking less of a cut. Moving it left of center it will be taking a wider cut.

#11 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 05:23 PM

Show us some pictures of your plowing on wednesday chieffan, please.

Noel

#12 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Oh ok
I guess I have been plowing wrong then.
Good luck Roger have fun

#13 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 06:02 PM

You have it backwards case442. The inside of the right tire rides on the furrow wall so if you move the plow hookup to the right you will be taking less of a cut. Moving it left of center it will be taking a wider cut.

The inside of the right tire rides IN the Furrow against the furrow wall.  Not on the furrow wall.  Sounds like some run with their right rear tire on undisturbed ground.  Other run with the right rear in the furrow.  Growing up on a farm I turned a lot of dirt and always run the right rear in the furrow and the lead share lapped about 1" into the furrow.  This is what I am trying to duplicate with the GT and Brinly plow.  I need to get the plow further to the left on the tractor.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 06:03 PM

Show us some pictures of your plowing on wednesday chieffan, please.

Noel

Will sure try to, time permitting. 
Thanks.

#15 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 07:07 PM

In the Brinly 10" plow manual  > http://gardentractor...e-hitch-attach/

It tells you to measure the inside distance of the rear tires and what way and what hole to use for your measurement.

Sometimes conditions are too tough for the tractor because of spinning rear wheels or lack of traction, moving the plow to the right it takes a narrower cut and is easier to pull though the dirt.

You don't have to take a full, works fine doing a narrower cut.

• MH81, CRFarnsworth and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks