• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 09:35 PM

Last evening I'm out and about and my 17 year old sends me a text that he's going to spend the night with a buddy. I remind him to use his manners, take his toothbrush, be sure to shower and have fun.

This evening he comes dragging in tired and hungry with his "luggage". His toothbrush and tooth paste were in his tackle box and he had two of his fishing rods. That's all he took with him.

They fished last night, got up this morning for more fishing, went home for sandwiches and a nap and went fishing again this afternoon and into the evening.

I think I'm kind of proud of that.

I remember going camping on the river bank with my buddies with a sleeping bag, fishing pole, a pack of hot dogs and buns, a bottle of squeeze mustard and we would be good for two days.
  • rustyoldjunk, coldone, Alc and 14 others have said thanks

#2 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 10:20 PM

You should be proud of a 17 yr old who wants to do something besides chase girls, game and text. 

Mike

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 01:20 AM

Oh yeah!!!  That's a good kid.    :thumbs:

• JBRamsey said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 05:32 AM

Really nice that the boys did that ! I'm tired of hearing all the bad things kids get into now a days .
  • oldedeeres and JBRamsey have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 06:20 AM

You should be proud of a 17 yr old who wants to do something besides chase girls, game and text. 

Mike

I did 2 of the 3 when I was a teenager.  Texting wasn't around yet.

I chased girls constantly, played a good amount of video games, and I spent plenty of time fishing, hunting, working on cars, and building projects with my dad.  So you can't lump everyone in the same boat.

• JBRamsey and chieffan have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 07:28 AM

I had to work when I was a teen ager.  Small square bale was all there was.  3 cuttings of hay and the straw in between.  If it wasn't the hay the beans needed walking.  Friday night was sports and Saturday night was mine.  Early to bed Sunday night to do it all over again.  If rain was forecast we bailed hay on Sunday afternoon till dark.  Our phone was a party line hang on the wall type box.

• EricR, oldedeeres, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#7 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 01:16 PM

Last evening I'm out and about and my 17 year old sends me a text that he's going to spend the night with a buddy. I remind him to use his manners, take his toothbrush, be sure to shower and have fun.
This evening he comes dragging in tired and hungry with his "luggage". His toothbrush and tooth paste were in his tackle box and he had two of his fishing rods. That's all he took with him.
They fished last night, got up this morning for more fishing, went home for sandwiches and a nap and went fishing again this afternoon and into the evening.
I think I'm kind of proud of that.
I remember going camping on the river bank with my buddies with a sleeping bag, fishing pole, a pack of hot dogs and buns, a bottle of squeeze mustard and we would be good for two days.

I would be proud too;)

That is really cool.
  • JBRamsey said thank you

#8 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

All three boys have had fishing rods in their hands since they could walk. They've been wearing out the local ponds. My oldest does have an I-phone that I gave him for his birthday. He already has a .22, an 870 and a model 700. The next guns he can buy. He was running up his data usage. So I nosed around into what is he using all of this data for, especially when he has wifi most everywhere he goes.

You'll like this. It turns out he and his buddies were using GoogleEarth or something like that to find ponds and then using Google Maps to get to them. Kind of hard to be upset over that.

I am easier on them then how I came up. Like you guys, I worked. A lot. My daddy worked swing shift and was only home on Friday and Saturday nights twice a month. However, when he was on first shift, I would have worms dug, minnows seined, sweet baits, hellgrammites, whatever we were fishing with caught and our rods and tackle boxes ready to go. He'd come home, we had supper and he and I went fishing. I thought everybody fished on Friday and Saturday nights. But in between I worked. I had the good fortune of five uncles on my daddy's side and six on my mother's side. When Daddy was working the weekends, one of my uncles would come pick me up after school on Friday and off we went. I usually didn't come home until Sunday evening.

You only grow up one time so I work them but not like I worked. I could have used his help cutting and dragging brush this weekend but I'd rather him fish some. And it's fun to see him walk in excited about something he caught or got away or what his buddies did.

I've come along way from several years ago when the three of them had a vote and unanimously named me the worst and meanest daddy ever in the history of the world. Ever. Since the beginning of time. When it was only Adam.
  • MFDAC, UncleWillie and oldedeeres have said thanks