Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Spent a little time tonight to work on it . Pulled the glass bowel off the filter to clean the gummy goo was surprised there wasn't any type of screen to act as a filter . Oh well put a little gas in saw it started leaking out the carb . A little tap on the carb and it stopped . Hooked the battery up , pushed the compression release , started cranking and after a few times it ran on its own ! I'll have to ask my cousin but I'm thinking this hasn't run in over 25 years . Now just need to get a battery to fit in the box and it will be ready for a test drive !
  • MFDAC and backwoods have said thanks

#32 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 08:47 PM

That's is great news al hope your test drive goes smooth for you.
  • Alc said thank you

#33 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:03 PM

Glad to hear you got it gong, Al. There should have been a screen in the top of that sediment bowl just like any other. Someone must have lost or removed it years ago.

• Alc said thank you

#34 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 05:21 AM

Did a search and they sell replacements, good to know  , heck even O'Reillys carries them . I check with our sponsors first  

http://www.oreillyau...8#itemDetailTab_

• backwoods said thank you

#35 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 07:56 AM

I forgot to mention last night when I had it running I saw standing on the carburetor side and saw sparks fly out the other side . Thinking it was something bad quickly shut it off ,,,, it was only sparks from the exhaust pipe  which is just a short elbow lol  

• DougT, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#36 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 05:38 AM

I took the battery from my wife's Honda Rebel to use ( she hasn't even used it this year )  just the right size for the battery box . Didn't want to start , wasn't getting fuel took the mixture nut/screw out the bottom of the carb , some dirt came out and with a few shots of carb cleaner to clean any more it started right up . Added some SeaFoam  anyway . Took a few laps around the yard  then while still running called my cousin who gave it to me , I think he was excited as me to hear it run :dancingbanana:  We were trying to figure out the last time it was running , he said my grandfather stopped using it after he got a Troy Built tiller ,  he past away in 1993 so we think late eighties was the last time running .  He also said he was going to try making it the Jacktown Fall show in Oct. 15-16th.  hope he and my uncle can make it .

http://www.jacktown.org/

• KennyP, MFDAC and backwoods have said thanks

#37 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:09 AM

Glad to hear it's running and driving. Now if you could find any family photos of your grandpa using it you could make a nice display sign to go with it. You'll have to plan the trip to Cochranton next summer for Alan's heirloom show! 

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#38 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:26 AM

Al, I missed this one when it came out.  That's a really neat story.  It's a neat looking tractor.  I'm glad your cousin was able to get it to someone who was able to enjoy it.

• Alc said thank you

#39 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 07:45 AM

Now if you could find any family photos of your grandpa using it you could make a nice display sign to go with it.

Doug that would be nice , I have most of the old photos my grandparents had and don't remember any other then one with my aunt & uncle on a homemade tractor , But will ask other relatives who might .  

• DougT and MH81 have said thanks

#40 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 08:20 PM

I dug out the plow my grandfather gave me when I started my first garden I believe it belongs to the Walsh from looking at the owners manual
IMG_0941.JPG
  • MH81 and backwoods have said thanks

#41 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 05:31 AM

Don't know why that every time I try to post a picture off my phone I can never get it the correct rotation :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:   could someone please rotate the plow picture ? Thanks

#42 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:35 AM

Don't know why that every time I try to post a picture off my phone I can never get it the correct rotation :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:   could someone please rotate the plow picture ? Thanks

I just thought it was a hill plow
Fixed it.
  • Alc said thank you

#43 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:11 AM

I talked to my uncle this morning to get a little more info . He said my grandfather bought it used not long after they moved there ,1940 I believe . He bought it in the winter and worked on it in the basement , must have had help getting down the outside steps I would think . He said it had a plow but he never used it . He had the farmer across the street plow it with his horse and used the Walsh for cultivating . My uncle did use it but it wasn't often as my grandfather did .
  • MH81, MFDAC and backwoods have said thanks