• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• Member No: 5581
  • 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:33 PM

Are these still available? Tractor is a G33470A. Didn't know if I should put this in this forum or the Gilson forum. 

42" 3 blade deck. Bracket sheared off the bottom of the shaft. I'm surprised it broke loose as it's belt driven. I have sprayed penetrating oil on the nuts and am leaving it soak overnight. 

This site as been really helpful in proving information for working on this tractor. 

Added 8/15/16; Checked a couple local long time hardware and implement dealers and online. Looks like it was discontinued. Can't imagine something 30+ years old being discontinued :). I got the part # 37056 off a similar deck manual I found on here. That # is updated to a Toro # 742569. But doesn't exist anymore. Just might sell this tractor. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160814_170424.jpg
  • 20160814_170433.jpg

Edited by GilsonRider, August 15, 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 08:17 AM

Do you have the whole spindle part # (MTD)? I have a place I want to look.

• GilsonRider said thank you

#3 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 04:26 PM

Do you have the whole spindle part # (MTD)? I have a place I want to look.

No, all I have is the Wards# and the Toro#. I think the Toro # was for the whole assembly as I was quoted $180, but was discontinued. I'll keep looking.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted August 16, 2016 - 06:08 PM

No, all I have is the Wards# and the Toro#. I think the Toro # was for the whole assembly as I was quoted $180, but was discontinued. I'll keep looking.

I used that # and got nothing close!

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 06:46 AM

Maybe when you have the spindle apart you could post it in the mechanical forum in case someone could suggest maybe ones that would work if say by using a different blade or slightly different length but by replacing all it work at least get you going again
  • GilsonRider said thank you

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 04:20 PM

Was the blade loose?

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,304 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 05:57 PM

Contact the seller about THIS spindle.  It may match up with what you need..

• Alc and GilsonRider have said thanks

#8 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Maybe when you have the spindle apart you could post it in the mechanical forum in case someone could suggest maybe ones that would work if say by using a different blade or slightly different length but by replacing all it work at least get you going again

thanks for the reply, I'll post a pic over there with some dimensions. 

#9 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 07:20 PM

Was the blade loose?

The blade was securely attached to the plate, but the plate was loose from the spindle. Apparently it's supposed to attached to the spindle? The center bolt was loose. 

#10 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Contact the seller about THIS spindle.  It may match up with what you need..

Doesn't look like the same part. 

#11 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 07:42 PM

I posted a pic in the mechanical forum. I have a question; is the center bolt the only thing that keeps the plate on? Is there supposed to be anything else that keeps the blade/bracket from free wheeling? Maybe I just need to get a new bolt and re-attach it? 

The bearings definitely need replacing. that shouldn't be to hard, well maybe. ;)

#12 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 02:37 PM

Well, it's supposed to be in the low 60's on Saturday. Will do some welding on the plate and remount the deck. Need to add some nuts on the running boards on the tractor I see. Both are loose in the front. Just happened to have a thin machine/thrust washer the right thickness to level out the bracket. It's looking up!

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 05:31 PM

You might take another blade off so you can see what it supposed to look like!

#14 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 05:46 PM

You might take another blade off so you can see what it supposed to look like!

Yep, tried that! Neither bracket from the other spindles wants to come off. Once the center bolt comes out one would think the bracket would pop off.  I even tried swearing a little and that didn't help either!

The outer spindles are identical to each other, but completely different than the center unit. It would be very helpful if I actually knew how they were constructed and how they are supposed to come apart. 

[Copied from the Mechanical forum]  I took the center bolt out from the outer brackets and the threads go out the bottom of the bracket. It's hard to tell if there is a shoulder centering the bracket, but because of the threads, I assume there is one. 

The bolt must have came loose before and the bracket was apparently welded and broke?. There is a lot of metal on the spindle and from the way the bracket is ground up and is how came to that assumption. The center hole in the bracket is oblong. I mocked up the bracket assembly, got it centered, leveled and installed temporarily to test the balance and rotation. The deck is on a work bench at this time. 

Edited by GilsonRider, August 18, 2016 - 06:03 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#15 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Spent most of the day putzing around with it, taking my time. Back hurts to much to keep going with it today. I fell off the ladder in the garage hanging some new high output lights back in June and fractured my lower back in two places. I'm not quite healed up yet, so it's slow going. Might have to post pone this for a bit. I'm happy I have an engine hoist to maneuver this beast of a deck! The hoist got a work out back in the 70's and 80's transplanting engines and still works like new. 

Well.. welded up the bracket, looked like a decent job, good penetration, bearing still spun freely. I noticed some weld in the bearing cup, but didn't think anything of it. That was of course until it came to reassembly. Needed another 1/8" or so to get the nut on the shaft for the pulley. If I tried tightening more, the shaft wouldn't turn. So, out it came. I re-polished the the shaft and inside of the pulley and even "blue printing - with a back marker on the shaft to check for high spots. Then I dry fitted the pulley without the shaft key, it slid down fine. Plenty of clearance to get the nut down for the cotter key. I repeated these steps several times and old expression came to mind (you know the saying, the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over  and expecting different results -Albert Einstein)  It finally dawned on me those weld beads may be interfering. So to get those ground down it meant cutting the bearing cup to do it. I did that, and it went in like it should.. sort of. It's free, but not doesn't spin freely. I don't know if I will have a problem with grass getting in the remaining parts of the cup, time will tell. I have to get the shaft spinning better first though. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160820_114912 (1).jpg

Edited by GilsonRider, August 20, 2016 - 08:10 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gilson, wards, mower, deck