5 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 03:38 PM

Anybody have experience with POR15 or equivalents ? Whats your thoughts on it and experiences with it ?

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 04:05 PM

we used por15 years ago on some truck frames maybe 10 15 years ago. I actually saw one of the trucks not long ago and the first thing I looked at was the frame, i was very impressed how the frame held up.

we were told too that it needs to be top coated, uv light will break it down we didn't do it on the frames
  • rustyoldjunk, Alc and Cat385B have said thanks

#3 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 06:53 PM

I have buddies that use it and swear by it. Jabelman is correct. It does degrade with exposure to UV light and should be topcoated. I would think during the course of a build it would get topcoated as part of the fixing up process. Do wear gloves. One of my buddies didn't. It took months for it to wear off, not even considering what the chemical exposure is doing to you.
  • rustyoldjunk and Alc have said thanks

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Thanks guys. Jabelman your reply is especially helpful because thats exactly what I'm considering doing. The frame on the 88 F350 that I am putting an engine in is showing more flaking and rust damage than I would like so I may do the frame on it. The frame is still fine now but at the rate its going in a few years it may not be.

#5 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:29 PM

Do the frame. It's a few bolts to pull the bed and you're doing all the work of dropping in a new engine. Another weekend to take care of the frame won't hurt.
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I need to do the frame on my '04 2500. It sits in a gravel floor shed year around, and it's showing. It's going to be comical seeing how much of that stuff I end up wearing....
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you