• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 10:52 PM

So, I was wondering if any of you have any good ways, software, or spreadsheets/databases that are efficient at tracking parts and prices and maintenance reminders for equipment. I have tried countless apps and now I am going back in time to try either a database or spreadsheet. I have not found anything along those lines that is well designed either. I know there are pay for products out there, but I am not really wanting to pay 20 bucks a month to just track some oil changes and cost amount of running. I am almost to the point where I might sit down and make my own. Any suggestions are welcome.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,744 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 04:06 AM

Look up some of the old Equipment Maintenance Management(EMS) shareware. I looked at using the one distributed by the Federal Highway Administration about 25 years ago. It may have been part of their Maintenance Management System for highway departments.

The record book or file folder for each machine is the simplest way. I have a couple of file drawers dedicated to my tractors and yard equipment. Good Lyck, Rick

• limebuzz and michael.kitko have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 04:08 AM

I found this some time back. I left it in an Office format so it could be modified.

Attached File  Copy of Maintenance record WH 520H Blank.xls   20KB   42 downloads

• boyscout862 and michael.kitko have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 05:37 AM

Mike this is a good subject . As far as oil changes I use a small piece of white electrical tape with the date and hours if it has a meter but what I'm lacking is I should be making a folder/log of each for maintenance done , dates, part numbers , cost, ect . For example ,the David Bradleys have different belts so if one breaks I have no idea if it was a good brand or maybe try something better also would have to hunt what size ,
  • MH81, boyscout862 and michael.kitko have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 07:53 AM

I use a blank lined log type book.  One page, left & right side for each tractor.  Stay clean inside the hard covers and can enter any information at any time, especially right in the shop.  No running to a computer to enter anything.  So called smart phones not allowed around here as they don't work 90% of the time.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:24 AM

I found this some time back. I left it in an Office format so it could be modified.

attachicon.gifCopy of Maintenance record WH 520H Blank.xls

This is the one I use to keep track of my machines and maintenance.

I add part numbers and the like.

I also use this for the expenses incurred with a tractor....This really scares me sometimes!!

• Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:52 AM

Micheal, after dealing with clients for 20+ years in database design and implementation I quickly realized that there is not one piece of software fits all.  Everyone has their own idea of how it should work.  What I would suggest is find an access  or base (Libreoffice) database that you kind of like then using a copy of it modify it to suit your needs.  Google Equipment Maintenance database and you will get all kinds of feedback.  Here is one with some example DB's http://www.blueclaw-...screen_samples/ that could get you started.  Keep us up to date what you decide and especially if you decide to do your own DB.

• Alc, boyscout862 and michael.kitko have said thanks

#8 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 11:26 PM

Micheal, after dealing with clients for 20+ years in database design and implementation I quickly realized that there is not one piece of software fits all. Everyone has their own idea of how it should work. What I would suggest is find an access or base (Libreoffice) database that you kind of like then using a copy of it modify it to suit your needs. Google Equipment Maintenance database and you will get all kinds of feedback. Here is one with some example DB's http://www.blueclaw-...screen_samples/ that could get you started. Keep us up to date what you decide and especially if you decide to do your own DB.

Senior, you have no idea the amount of time I spent looking at computer screens building Access files. From Small Valve Maintenance trackers to Auto Exam Generators for QA. It is funny what you learn in the Navy. Anyways, I was honestly thinking Excel because most people have that program, even though I love Access.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 07:35 AM

Funny thing is the Navy is where I learned to program as well but I was using dBase III and then later basic.  Excel would work but in my opinion be a bit linear in nature. If you made it like Kenny's example then you would end up with a bunch of file for each service or maintenance task.  Then you would have a hard time searching for a particular maintenance task you might be interested in. If you did it on a line by line base then you could sort it and find the info you might be looking for but then  you end up with redundancy with your data.   With a relational Database you could build the parent record then just simply add child records for each maintenance task.  It would also give the user a better free form text option for like notes.  

Since my second retirement I haven't done any programming so I'm a bit rusty, plus M$ dropped FoxPro (which is what I used).  But after your OP I got to thinking about a maintenance app for GT's.  From your post above I take it you are looking at others using the app as well.  As I remember access is a bit hard to distribute if you don't have office installed.  I thought about using Base which is the LibreOffice version of Access that way those who wanted to use it could just install LibreOffice and it wouldn't cost them anything.  I'll have to give it some more thought.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 08:51 AM

10 years ago we bought this super expensive software package.  It was supposed to be the best ever maintenance, component tracking, ect software.

We used it for 6 months and threw it away.

I went back to using excel to track all of our maintenance and service information on the equipment we use in the mine.  It's probably not the most efficient way to do it, but I have records going back many years.  And I quickly open up my master sheet and tell you how many of each component we have changed on a machine pretty easily. 

• KennyP said thank you