Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Swapped a 93' motor into my 85' (charging problems)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pwned OFFLINE  

pwned
  • Member No: 84266
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 08:40 PM

Hi all. I'm new to this site and I think I have a problem. Well I recently had to swap in a 93' motor from my donor tractor into my 85'.

It runs and mows but I noticed it was cranking very slow today. I had to jump it 3x today after each time I shut it off...weird!

I put the volt meter on it and the battery says 12.5v and you would think it would fire but wont. Now when it is running it went to 13.7v meaning it was charging. Started to rain put it inside. DEAD. Now at 12.2v. Swapped a battery into it (12.5v) and fired right up. I put a meter on it and dipped to 9-10v when starting. Running this battery now says over 14. It actually hit 15. It hit 15 due to me having the charging wire plugged in (red wire you see that's not plugged in). With it unplugged it stayed to around high 14s. Now with the motor being from a 93' the 85' motor was a tad more basic for the charging system. I'm un certain how the battery voltage is even changing with this wire not plugged in. With it plugged in is it regulating or is the year change screwing with the solenoid perhaps??

Attached Thumbnails

• 85' solenoid.png
  • 85'.png
  • 93' solenoid.png
  • charge wire 85'.png
  • donor 93'.png
  • donor.png

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check our Manuals Section for the right engine manual. Use the troubleshooting guide to find the problem. I suspect, for the starting problem,  that you have a bad connection at the ground or the starter solenoid. The wiring diagram should tell if the engines are compatable. Good Luck, Rick

• wbakunis and pwned have said thanks

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 10:08 PM

Sounds like a bad battery.

• pwned said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 05:19 AM

Unsure the brand of engine in your machines, but I found this helpful testing paper at Briggs
https://www.briggsan...cifications.pdf

Hope it helps, :welcometogttalk:
  • pwned said thank you

#5 pwned OFFLINE  

pwned
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 07:14 AM

Unsure the brand of engine in your machines, but I found this helpful testing paper at Briggs
https://www.briggsan...cifications.pdf

Hope it helps, :welcometogttalk:

Thank you. Sorry I meant to say they are both briggs and Stratton motors. The motor I removed had a 1 wire alternator. The motor I put in has 2 as seen. I understand the black wire is for headlights only.

Edited by pwned, August 14, 2016 - 07:16 AM.

#6 pwned OFFLINE  

pwned
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 07:30 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check our Manuals Section for the right engine manual. Use the troubleshooting guide to find the problem. I suspect, for the starting problem,  that you have a bad connection at the ground or the starter solenoid. The wiring diagram should tell if the engines are compatable. Good Luck, Rick

I'm not seeing the manual for my 917.255732 which is from 85' or the motor I swapped into the 85' is a 917.255430.

#7 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:30 AM

Thank you. Sorry I meant to say they are both briggs and Stratton motors. The motor I removed had a 1 wire alternator. The motor I put in has 2 as seen. I understand the black wire is for headlights only.

The single wire alternator is designed to use a dual diode as a regulator, and supplies up to 5 amps + DC for PTO and battery, and - 5 Amps for lights . The dual wire has an in-line diode on the red wire for 3 amp battery charging only, and 3 amps A/C on the black wire for lights only. 

• MH81, boyscout862 and pwned have said thanks

#8 pwned OFFLINE  

pwned
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:33 AM

Morning! I took some readings just now and I am unsure if they are acceptable. It appears the alternator is working. I dislike my craftsman multimeter and am unsure on what scale to put it on so I took a few pictures of what I came up with. I think 15.2v after running for 5 minutes is a bit much. This is with the red wire plugged in. Unplugged running the battery goes from mid 13s to 14v. How is it charging if nothing is plugged in? If I plug the wire in it will start increasing. Unplugged it and dropped to around 14v.

Attached Thumbnails

• m1.png
  • m2.png
  • m3.png
  • m4.png
  • m5.png

#9 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:48 AM

I did these several years ago, I think 30 or more episodes are out there, these seem specific to your issue.

Single Wire Stator
https://www.youtube....h?v=uhqyuqIo30Q

Dual Stator
https://www.youtube....h?v=Nqr13r1ZpHE

Multi-meter
https://www.youtube....h?v=wlFgVGmMCMM

Volt meter
https://www.youtube....h?v=UPtBBvlQFRU

• MH81, boyscout862 and pwned have said thanks

#10 pwned OFFLINE  

pwned
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 10:10 AM

I believe it is working. You can see the spark as well if you unplug it. I decided to try and just hook it right from the wire to the solenoid on the side and it went up to 16volts!

I went over to my parents house to get some readings off theirs and it did hit 15v but tapered it self back down to mid 14s. But the readings were ALOT lower except AC was almost the same. It is a perfect running machine.

The 85' vs the 93' has the same setup for the ignition.

Swapped the diode from the 85' and hit 17.2v.

Attached Thumbnails

• a1.png
  • a2.png
  • p1.png
  • p2.png
  • p3.png
  • p4.png
  • v.png

Edited by pwned, August 14, 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#11 pwned OFFLINE  

pwned
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 12:31 PM

Well I just mowed the lawn with the wire unplugged. Now it will only start with a jump.

#12 pwned OFFLINE  

pwned
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 04:15 PM

Attempted to jump it again and the starter gear stripped it self so I swapped on another starter. Jumped it let it run for 30 minutes now is stays a steady 14.4-14.5 and wont go any higher. What gives!??

#13 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 04:43 PM

Sounds like a bad battery.

:tapping_fingers:

• MH81 said thank you

#14 pwned OFFLINE  

pwned
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 04:51 PM

:tapping_fingers:

2 bad batteries? Killed the brand new ever start and the diehard which is now in it but now the diehard is fine after running for a while.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 09:44 PM

I'm wondering if you have a lose magnet in there causing problems. If it's not acting consistently... Idk
Did you work thru that link I posted earlier?