• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 04:25 PM

The wife got up really early this morning and tried to run the Ariens with the rear bucket full of 500 lbs of feed out to the barn, when going thru the gate she got too close to my JD212 with the wheel weights and the bolt holding the weights on punctured the rear tire of my 212.
Then she tried to put the new battery in the JD317 but hooked it up backwards and cranked and cranked but it would not start.
So, I get up and around she tells me about the 212, no big deal, I have a spare wheel and tire, but then I hear about the 317, I changed the connections on the battery and turn the key,,,,, nothing, not even a click.
Put the charger on the battery and it will not go past 50% now so I think it might be toast. I pray it didn't mess up the key switch or the starter solenoid.

What do you guys think??

Edited by victor3ranger, August 13, 2016 - 04:27 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 05:05 PM

Keep her away from tractors. You were lucky that only machines were damaged. She could easily get hurt.

Five years ago I had to stop my wife from driving because she has trouble with concentrating on what she is doing. It was a discussion for awhile but finally she agreed with me. Sometimes you have to protect family from themselves. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill and propane1 have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 05:20 PM

I think I would be generous and invite my wife to sleep in and just rest while I did the chores.  My Son put his MC battery in backwards and just blew fuses.  Turned it around and all was fine.  Check your fuses.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Do you have any idea where the fuses would be located on a 317??

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 06:58 PM

Keep her away from tractors.

I have to agree!

If you don't know what you are doing, don't mess with it!

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Some people just are not tractor drivers, but most of us, male and female, have learned how to drive things, time and practice is the key. From bicycles to vehicles, to tractors. We all can do it. Just that some are better than others, no matter what we drive, or do. Just my opinion.
And lucky have a wife that will get on a tractor, mine won't get on a tractor. !

Noel.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Do you have any idea where the fuses would be located on a 317??

I'm not familiar with the 317 but the 318's I've worked on the were on the left side behind the engine, I believe. 

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 08:03 PM

My GF is real good with her LT 1018 cub riding mower and her Honda 2X4.  Driving my Avalanche is another story.  Last time was to get the check up on my knee surgery.  I was not cleared to drive, also on pain meds.  She was on the rumble strip a few times, dropped off the right edge once and scared heck out of me.  Hit a big pot hole in the left wheel track.  Heated discussion followed when we got home and she will not drive anything with me as a passenger again, so she said.  Also said if I ever had to go to the hospital it would be by ambulance as she would not drive with me in the vehicle unless I was out.  Some time we win, some times we loose.  Not sure which it was.

• Bill 76 and propane1 have said thanks

#9 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 08:22 PM

I am proud of her for trying to get out there and not be afraid to drive them since I have built them to help us around the farm.

My biggest concern right now is if my 317 is messed up since she hooked up the battery backwards. That one will really burn my butt since I have worked so hard just getting it running good and fixing all the hydraulics.
  • shorty said thank you

#10 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 10:07 PM

Just tell her women belong in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant! That won't make her any better with tractors, but when you recover, you'll be over it? LOL
  • Alc and Bill 76 have said thanks

#11 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 03:08 PM

Just tell her women belong in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant! That won't make her any better with tractors, but when you recover, you'll be over it? LOL

LOL, not sure I would recover from that one.

I do have good news, swapped the tire on the 212 then messed with the 317. Put the new battery in and everything is fine, started right up. Then I worked a little more on it and got the headlights working. So all is good at the farm again.
  • KennyP and toppop52 have said thanks