• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 11:53 AM

I saw a post somewhere the other day about this topic but I cant find it and for the life of me I cant remember if it was on here or on facebook somewhere.  Either way, at one time John Deere made a 3 point mower deck(260) that was basically just a belly mower with 3 pt attachment brackets. I have been wondering if it could be done with a regular deck when I happened upon the post. I had always been unsure if it was possible to run it off of a 2000 rpm rear PTO and found out that it is indeed possible and the way that the 260 was built.  I have a HD 60" deck for a 430 that was on my 400 when I bought it several years ago.  Since I use my 430 primarily as a plow machine and my 400 is currently mothballed waiting on a new "heart transplant" I got to thinking about this again.  The mounting brackets would not be a big deal as I know plenty of people that could build those.  My dilemma is where to find the components to build the driveshaft to power the deck.  For the rear half, I could simply use the factory driveshaft, but the front half of the factory shaft has a female coupling and I would have to have the male coupling in order to use the rear PTO.

So, my question for all of you is this.......................Where can I find a 15 spline Male universal joint coupling to build the front half of the shaft.  They are not longer available from Mother Deere and if you were to find one, it would be ridiculously expensive.

Any leads or ideas for building this shaft would be greatly appreciated.

#2 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 07:23 PM

I saw a post somewhere the other day about this topic but I cant find it and for the life of me I cant remember if it was on here or on facebook somewhere.  Either way, at one time John Deere made a 3 point mower deck(260) that was basically just a belly mower with 3 pt attachment brackets. I have been wondering if it could be done with a regular deck when I happened upon the post. I had always been unsure if it was possible to run it off of a 2000 rpm rear PTO and found out that it is indeed possible and the way that the 260 was built.  I have a HD 60" deck for a 430 that was on my 400 when I bought it several years ago.  Since I use my 430 primarily as a plow machine and my 400 is currently mothballed waiting on a new "heart transplant" I got to thinking about this again.  The mounting brackets would not be a big deal as I know plenty of people that could build those.  My dilemma is where to find the components to build the driveshaft to power the deck.  For the rear half, I could simply use the factory driveshaft, but the front half of the factory shaft has a female coupling and I would have to have the male coupling in order to use the rear PTO.

So, my question for all of you is this.......................Where can I find a 15 spline Male universal joint coupling to build the front half of the shaft.  They are not longer available from Mother Deere and if you were to find one, it would be ridiculously expensive.

Any leads or ideas for building this shaft would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you find out. I am wanting to do the same thing on the back of my 318 with a deck I have.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 09:52 PM

Agri-supply, DriveLineAmerica, McMaster Carr, Driveline Service in California, Ebay, and Rick's Ag Parts.

• ducky, MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#4 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:50 PM

Here is the Male 15 Spline Yoke...........  at least that is a start.  :dancingbanana:

http://www.paulbpart...st_type=product

• ducky, MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#5 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 10:26 PM

Here is the Male 15 Spline Yoke...........  at least that is a start.  :dancingbanana:

Would this happen to be the same thing that would fit on a 317 or 318??

Edited by victor3ranger, August 15, 2016 - 06:30 PM.

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,535 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 04:05 AM

Here is the Male 15 Spline Yoke........... at least that is a start. :dancingbanana:

That is quite the store to shop at.

#7 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 10:44 PM

Would this happen to be the same thing that would fit on a 317 or 318??

Yes,,,,,,,the 318 and the 420, 430 share the same rear PTO unit.............not sure about the 317 though.

#8 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 03:47 PM

That is quite the store to shop at.

So, to attach to the rear male splined part coming out of the rear end I would need to get the female yoke that is at the top middle of that page correct??

Or would it be better to choose the second one down on the left side that has the spring lock??

Edited by victor3ranger, August 18, 2016 - 03:48 PM.

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,535 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 04:20 PM

Victor, are you thinking the pto shaft going back to the mower? I probably would get the quick connect with the spring lock.

#10 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 06:36 PM

Victor, are you thinking the pto shaft going back to the mower? I probably would get the quick connect with the spring lock.

The first piece I am thinking about is how to attach the first shaft to the rear of the hydro. I would think that the second one down on the left side might be able to attach to the small splined shaft coming out of the hydro. From there, make a small shaft to go out to the back of the frame and be secured by a bearing with another male splined end so a drive shaft could be attached at that point then to the mower gear box.

Does this sound like too much wishful thinking??

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,535 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 08:06 PM

What you are describing sounds like what I put on my Gravely. My setup had a flex coupler that clamped to the shaft of the pump. Then the shaft out the back like you are thinking. I would try to get a clamp type to go on the pump shaft. Are you thinking of putting a u-joint in?

#12 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 08:37 PM

What you are describing sounds like what I put on my Gravely. My setup had a flex coupler that clamped to the shaft of the pump. Then the shaft out the back like you are thinking. I would try to get a clamp type to go on the pump shaft. Are you thinking of putting a u-joint in?

Not sure. If I could make a piece that didn't have a joint from the pump to the end of the frame I think that would be best, then have the actual slip shaft with joints at both ends from the frame to the gear box.

#13 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 09:08 PM

So, to attach to the rear male splined part coming out of the rear end I would need to get the female yoke that is at the top middle of that page correct??

Or would it be better to choose the second one down on the left side that has the spring lock??

Victor, I would suggest checking to see what the RPM's are coming directly out of the rearend. The way that I am talking about doing it is coming out of the rear PTO drive box.  The PTO itself is a female connection, so I have to have a male yoke instead of the female yoke that is on the factory shaft. I have a couple of options that I have found so far.  One is to get a shaft like the one below and change my front yoke to fit that shaft, OR IF I can find a fully splined shaft like the one below(edited to add second shaft. This shaft would work but would have to have reliefs milled into it for the ball coupling to lock into like the first shaft but on both ends)

I could simply slide it into my PTO gearbox and then slip the factory driveshaft onto that shaft..........of course that all depends on whether the factory shaft is long enough.   But that is the idea that I have come up with so far and HOPE that I dont have to have a completely new shaft built.

http://www.ebay.com/...ke/291121437626

http://www.ebay.com/...725.m3641.l6368

Edited by Robert Webb, August 18, 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#14 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 09:22 PM

Victor, I would suggest checking to see what the RPM's are coming directly out of the rearend. The way that I am talking about doing it is coming out of the rear PTO drive box.  The PTO itself is a female connection, so I have to have a male yoke instead of the female yoke that is on the factory shaft. I have a couple of options that I have found so far.  One is to get a shaft like the one below and change my front yoke to fit that shaft, OR IF I can find a fully splined shaft like the one below(edited to add second shaft. This shaft would work but would have to have reliefs milled into it for the ball coupling to lock into like the first shaft but on both ends)
I could simply slide it into my PTO gearbox and then slip the factory driveshaft onto that shaft..........of course that all depends on whether the factory shaft is long enough.   But that is the idea that I have come up with so far and HOPE that I dont have to have a completely new shaft built.

http://www.ebay.com/...ke/291121437626

http://www.ebay.com/...725.m3641.l6368

I would love to have a factory rear PTO setup but there is no way I can swing the price those are going for right now.
Not exactly sure which pump comes factory on the 318 but I know that on my Ariens GT it has a sunstrand 15(U)? that is setup almost exactly like the 318. On the Ariens they had at one time a factory PTO shaft without any type of clutch, live PTO. I was thinking I could somehow mimic this on the 318.
Your first link shows a 12" double male splined shaft, if I could find something like that with a femal on one end and a male on the other I think I might be in business.

#15 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,535 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 04:28 AM

When I bought my Ariens, it was missing the rear pto. The owner said he pulled it off to put on his 318. How easily it fit, I don't know. Kind of what I imagined you are working towards.