• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shortbox OFFLINE  

shortbox

• Member No: 819
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:35 AM

I just built a log splitter that I want to run with my Case 195. It works fine except I would like the lever to be spring loaded so that when I let go of it that it would return to center. Is this possible to change or do I need to use a different valve.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,477 Thanks
  • 30,603 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 10:24 AM

I just built a log splitter that I want to run with my Case 195. It works fine except I would like the lever to be spring loaded so that when I let go of it that it would return to center. Is this possible to change or do I need to use a different valve.

You'll need that specific type valve. TSC carries them, but not cheap.

#3 shortbox OFFLINE  

shortbox

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 01:35 PM

You'll need that specific type valve. TSC carries them, but not cheap.

Oh well i will have to look for one on an old tractor or something. All I have invested in this log splitter is welding rods so i don't want to start spending money now. lol

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 71 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 04:50 PM

The PTO valve on your Case will cause the oil to flow in either direction depending upon whether you push or pull the lever. Why not make up a simple STOP bracket to bolt or clamp on the outside of the valve body that will prevent the lever from moving past the center OFF position and then find a suitable spring that will pull the lever back to the stop whenever you let go of it?

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,477 Thanks
  • 30,603 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:04 PM

I believe what he means is that he wants to let it go & the valve continue the cylinder stroke & kick out on it's own.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,389 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:30 PM

I think this is what you're looing for.

Prince Log Splitter Detent Valve | Detent Valves | Northern Tool + Equipment

If doing ALOT, you'll be glad you spent the$$.

#7 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 71 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 06:01 AM

I believe what he means is that he wants to let it go & the valve continue the cylinder stroke & kick out on it's own.

If that's true, then he should leave the OEM PTO alone. Instead, buy the valve IamSherwood suggested and mount that valve on the splitter with a couple short hoses to the cylinder. Then use the long hoses he has right now to connect the new valve to the OEM PTO valve. That would solve the problem he presented and it would still keep his tractor available for any other tasks that need hydraulic power.

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,362 Thanks
  • 7,195 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 06:14 AM

I didn't understand this thread correctly, I was thinking he had a valve mounted on the splitter:wallbanging:

#9 shortbox OFFLINE  

shortbox

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 08:52 AM

I didn't understand this thread correctly, I was thinking he had a valve mounted on the splitter:wallbanging:

Sorry for the confusion. I have the splitter hooked directly to the PTO valve and yes I would like it to work like a normal hydraulic valve. Meaning I don't want it to lock in.

#10 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 71 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 11:14 AM

Shortbox,
The language you use is confusing, probably because you are not familiar with hydraulics and that's OK. The PTO valve on your tractor DOES work like a normal hydraulic valve. The valves that are used on wood splitters are designed specifically for that application to make life easier for the person running the splitter. There are also pumps that are designed specifically for splitters that would not be suitable for any other application. You have two viable options. Either purchase the $80.00 valve mentioned earlier in this thread or keep your eyes open for an old splitter that is being junked and grab the valve off of that.