Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 05:05 PM

I watched a video recently of a guy using a machine that utilizes  high velocity air and mixes pulverized dry ice in the air stream.

That method is also used to clean grease from cooking apparatus in commercial kitchens.

#17 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 06:47 PM

What is toxic about the water solution and the iron from the rust?  I all comes from the earth to start with. 

Oil comes from the earth too,  but you better not be dumping your oil on the ground!

#18 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 06:54 AM

What's wrong with a good old sand blaster?

Not everyone has one or access to one, so I was trying to share a method that many people that don't have all the fancy equipment could use. Noting is wrong with a sandblaster  if you have one. but if you didn't and you only had a handful of things to do you and don't see yourself going out and buying a mess load of specialty products to do a few jobs, then this method may be of help to you.

• jhn9840, HDWildBill and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#19 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 127 Thanks
  • 186 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:02 AM

I made an electrolysis tank out of a 5 gallon bucket using information from a thread on this site. Works great. I've also used the plain white vinegar soak. I've never heard of mixing it with molasses before before but it's always nice to have another weapon to use in the war on rust. Thanks for the information.

jhn9840
John

#20 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:31 AM

Oil comes from the earth too,  but you better not be dumping your oil on the ground!

But we are not talking about oil here are we.  Water, washing soda and the iron residual from the rust.

No big expense to this either.  Who don't have a plastic bucket and battery charger around.  Scrap pile has the rods along with a little wire.

HF has sand blasting guns at very reasonable prices.  I picked up a nice set up at an auction for $5, 2 guns, hose, holding pot for the media and all.  Yes, one needs the air compressor to handle the volume required.  I picked up an upright with twin cylinder, 220V, at least a 60 gal. tank and a box of new parts for $100.  Guy could not get it to pump up above 80 lbs.  Got it home, tightened the belt and lined it up right and ran it every since.  Been 4 years ago.