• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 08:58 AM

I see all kinds of chemicals being used and many of them are hazardous, I have also noted that most of the time the product does not actually remove the rust  with out loads of scrubbing or sanding. To make a long story short I been talking to my Axe buddys and they collect old axes these axes are civil war era and have been in the ground for many years and when they dig one up you can hardly tell what it is. I saw a before and after photo of an axe head and I was so impressed I had to ask how he did it. he said Molasses and vinegar and then instructed me to watch this video 

https://www.youtube....h?v=vq5IUiYMhRM

I have not tried this yet but have got some advice on it....The molasses and or vinegar alone won't do it. Its the chemical created in the fermentation process that attacks the rust, so if your in a hurry this will not work. My guy says 2-3 weeks of soaking is required and that you better like the smell of death , but says he will not do it any other way because the rust just wipes away when using this method correctly.

• Bruce Dorsi and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 09:28 AM

very interesting I am glad you posted this. I have a set of front rims I will try this on. anymore it's next to impossible to find anyone who will sandblast by me and those that do want big $$$
  • Phluphy said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,604 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 09:35 AM

Why is this preferable to electrolysis?

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 09:39 AM

You can also use a soak in muriatic acid, followed by a rinse in baking soda/water solution to neutralize the acid.

It works much faster than the molasses soak.

Muriatic acid can be used as purchased, or it can be diluted 50% with water. 

• shorty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 10:09 AM

You can also use a soak in muriatic acid, followed by a rinse in baking soda/water solution to neutralize the acid.

It works much faster than the molasses soak.

Muriatic acid can be used as purchased, or it can be diluted 50% with water. 

Just don't breath it, or allow it to get on your skin....keep it away from children ......plus when adding metal to the acid you are creating a very very toxic gas...

http://www.doityours...cid-safety-tips

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#6 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Honestly if your going to suggest something like that you should point out the dangers so that you don't get someone extremely ill.

#7 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 10:25 AM

very interesting I am glad you posted this. I have a set of front rims I will try this on. anymore it's next to impossible to find anyone who will sandblast by me and those that do want big $$$

Have you priced a quart of molasses? If you can find real molasses, they are not cheap. I'd rather sandblast or use electrolysis and keep my molasses for my biscuits.
  • KennyP and Phluphy have said thanks

#8 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Electrolysis worked on a pair of front rims. Beefed up the anode a tad too much but, got the job done. Easier to remove the black result than straight up rust. And remove paint in the process.

#9 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 10:42 AM

Honestly if your going to suggest something like that you should point out the dangers so that you don't get someone extremely ill.

I would point the dangers of sandblasting too then breathing in silica is death sentence too. I am no fan of electrolysis either basically your left with a barrel of toxic waste which most people don't realize and dump on the ground

quarts of molasses are under 15 bucks on amazon. shops out here would charge between 350 to 600 bucks to sandblast a garden tractor

Edited by jabelman, August 13, 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 10:55 AM

I would point the dangers of sandblasting too then breathing in silica is death sentence too. I am no fan of electrolysis either basically your left with a barrel of toxic waste which most people don't realize and dump on the ground

quarts of molasses are under 15 bucks on amazon. shops out here would charge between 350 to 600 bucks to sandblast a garden tractor

What is toxic about the water solution and the iron from the rust?  I all comes from the earth to start with. 
White vinegar alone works good on smaller items and like JB Ramsey said, keep the Molasses for the morning biscuits.

• Phluphy said thank you

#11 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 11:08 AM

What is toxic about the water solution and the iron from the rust?  I all comes from the earth to start with. 
White vinegar alone works good on smaller items and like JB Ramsey said, keep the Molasses for the morning biscuits.

Electrolysis works well and is quite safe, but with the set up and all needed with it needing to be plugged in, its not like the molasses method of mix and store aside. Although I may not be doing anything as big as a car rim I have a lot of small rusty parts I would love to toss in a molasses mix. 

Sorry for sharing seems like you guys got your rusty situations handled. I got me a quart of molasses and I'll just keep the results to myself. I hope this quart of molasses  got works because I have never in my life spent this much on sand paper or grinding pads electric or paint. 

#12 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 11:14 AM

I was thinking of all the small parts and pieces that I have that don't need to be done anytime soon, it does seem very easy to just mix store and forget for awhile. Don't need anything plugged in to do it either....Pssssst. I'll show you how it goes but it will be our lil secret....hehe

#13 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 12:24 PM

Water, washing soda and rust. All natural and the lawn appreciates it, mole crickets have left the area.

#14 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 04:01 PM

What's wrong with a good old sand blaster?

#15 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 04:12 PM

I watched a video recently of a guy using a machine that utilizes  high velocity air and mixes pulverized dry ice in the air stream. He stripped a '63 chevy to bare metal without pitting the metal in a little less than an hour. It was amazing to watch and all that's left is paint dust on the ground.

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, August 13, 2016 - 04:13 PM.