• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 Merle013 ONLINE  

Merle013
  • Member No: 74432
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 07:10 PM

Nice job. As long as the rust is gone, the pitting just ads "character".

• oldcuz said thank you

#17 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • Member No: 84076
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 07:17 PM

That is an improvement, isn't it?

It don't even look like the same hood, been working on the battery box and I guess firewall flat metal piece that bolts to the battery box got both parts cleaned and rust killed I plan on getting them painted soon, then I'll clean, rust kill, paint all the parts that bolt to the battery box all these parts kinda go together and it will be a lot better to do now while I can get to them real easy, thanks MH81 for checking on my progress its still a project not parts so far ?  

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#18 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Nice job. As long as the rust is gone, the pitting just ads "character".

It turned out better than I thought, it was a whole lot a cleaning and rust killing but worth it, then sprayed it with Rust-Oleum rust reformer which leaves it a flat black, and your right Merle013 its got a whole lot of character, I want worry about the bottom side to bad and leave a little character on that side, but I done bodywork for about 10yrs and I want be able to sleep at night if I don't smooth up the top side, just got the battery box and flat metal what ever it is that bolt to it ready for paint, doing clutch parts tomorrow then I'll paint all of them together.

Thanks for checking my project (not parts yet)     

• MH81, KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#19 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,470 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 12:49 AM

Just got the SS/16 suburban home today after two trips and $30.00 in cash its all mine, bought it from a old friend I haven't seen in over 30yrs seen him at the hardware store and after we talked about the good old bad old days I said I was getting some parts for a old sears LT8 mower I was working on and he said I got a old sears garden tractor I would like to get rid of it got a pretty big engine not sure what, its in the way and a little rough and missing a few parts, well all I heard was sears garden tractor, that's the whole sad story, I will make a long list of all the parts it needs but before I spend to much on it I am going to try and get the onan engine unseized and if that goes good I'll get it running, brought the hood home the other day and it was pretty rusty I cleaned it up and rust killed it going to prime it tomorrow, the fiberglass nose was broke and missing some pieces If I cant find one reasonable I'll fix this one back but a lot stronger, here is a few photos  

am i seeing this  right , it has a 3 sp peerless g/box ,H pattern shift , if so we got them here in Australia , doing a good job by the way 

• oldcuz said thank you

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 04:11 AM

That hood came out nice. I use the Rust Reformer a lot. Seems to keep that stuff under control. I usually put Self-etching primer over it, then paint. Keep up the good work.

• oldcuz said thank you

#21 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 05:27 PM

Got the engine and what little wiring that was left and the part that looks like a head rest off the seat removed today, finished these yesterday the battery box and the flat metal part that bolts to it the clutch drive bracket and pulley,
sprayed them with rust reformer that leaves a flat black finish then I sprayed
them with KRYLON FUSION satin black cause I have never weather tested the rust
reformer finish, the fusion paint is no sanding or priming will worry about the tractor
color later had this paint laying around so I used it, and yes more photos

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160822_151401.jpg
  • IMG_20160822_151436.jpg
  • IMG_20160822_165402.jpg
  • IMG_20160822_151527.jpg

Edited by oldcuz, August 23, 2016 - 12:23 AM.

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted August 22, 2016 - 06:05 PM

I sprayed the hood of my Cub 108 5 years ago with the Rust reformer. Never put anything over it. Just now starting to show sign of rust returning. So I would say it does a good job. If I had painted over it and sealed with a gloss, probably no rust.

#23 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 12:07 AM

I sprayed the hood of my Cub 108 5 years ago with the Rust reformer. Never put anything over it. Just now starting to show sign of rust returning. So I would say it does a good job. If I had painted over it and sealed with a gloss, probably no rust.

I was wondering how the rust reformer would holdup to the elements 5yrs is pretty good with no paint,
the fusion paint I sprayed over the rust reformer is pretty good paint just by its self.

I had a 1985 GT Mustang that someone had painted the whole car red window trim, door trim, around the
doors, rear side vents red, looked at it long as I could and bought this fusion satin paint says on the can for plastic and other surfaces so I tapped it up cleaned everything never sanded nothing sprayed all
the trim after 2yrs it still looked pretty good did not peel off still on their till I recently sold it. good paint
  • KennyP said thank you

#24 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 12:20 AM

am i seeing this  right , it has a 3 sp peerless g/box ,H pattern shift , if so we got them here in Australia , doing a good job by the way

Thanks I have been working on it every chance I can I enjoy saving a old classic from the scrap yard,
have something here in KY that y'all also have in Australia its a vintage Grand Prix mini bike pretty
sure its from Australia, I put a newer Honda GX160 its a cool looking little bike.

#25 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Worked on cleaning up the ONAN engine today took off the flywheel and stator,
intake and carb and linkage, drive pulley, muffler and exhaust pipes, starter,
after all that I could scrape inside the head where the valves pass threw and got
a bunch more crude and rust out, got the old engine spinning good the valves are working and look like they are seating pretty good,

When I first took it apart never thought it would make it to this point, don't
have a rod sticking out the side turns over freely I will grease the cylinders
and ends of the crankshaft spray silicon lubricant all up in the valve area and
anywhere else it needs it and put way to much oil and trans fluid in it then put it in big plastic tote and file it away for now

I know the 1/2 gallon of water and all the crude I got out of engine probably
killed it might salvage some parts from it later on another project got all the
bolts loose on the carb even on the choke and on the bottom part of the carb

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160823_181516.jpg
  • IMG_20160823_181525.jpg
  • IMG_20160823_181611.jpg
  • IMG_20160823_181537.jpg
  • IMG_20160823_181557.jpg

• Paulgo said thank you

#26 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:43 PM

Back with another episode of as the wheel turns, I guess its official it is a
project consisting of a bunch of parts, and those of you who have followed along
with this madness of saving a $30 Suburban SS/16 from the scrape yard or parts
pile you may be wondering what's wrong with oldcuz ? well I don't know either but
I can't stop and won't be happy till I drive it across the yard.

So here's where I'm at took off the clutch attachment lever and all the stuff
that's on it 2 bolts the whole piece is out of the way, don't got no attachments so I will worry about that another day, put the battery box and clutch drive
bracket and pulley back on and a new ball joint tie rod end which ever it is and the steering works now and its a lot easier to move around.

I had some crazy thoughts of putting a 5hp Tecumseh I had laying around on the
Suburban to check the transmission and rear end out before repowering it with a
bigger engine but I have shifted it rolled it around everything seems to work
good shifts easy don't here any bad noise so I am going to check the gear oil
and if their is no water in them I am going straight to the 13hp predator engine
installation and hope I get a good one ?

That will make it mobile probably can't stop it but that's ok as long as it will
go, I will cross that bridge when I hit it, got a Harbor Freight 25% off coupon
good for one day only September 5th so that's where I'll be. and yes a sad story
and more photos

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160826_182048.jpg
  • IMG_20160826_182057.jpg
  • IMG_20160826_182106.jpg
  • IMG_20160826_182115.jpg
  • IMG_20160826_182125.jpg

• KennyP and Paulgo have said thanks

#27 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 03:19 PM

If it the engine moves a little it can easily be saved.Take both heads off and wire wheel the snot out of it with your brass wheel you have there.Get it right down into the cylinder.Don't worry about scratching it up a little.The rings will smooth small scratches left by the wire wheel back out when they fully reseat in 15-20 minutes of run time.

Don't just dump PB Blaster in the plug holes and crank it over.It might have very thick swelled up carbon deposits.You could easily bend a valve or bust a piston if you try to get it loose by forcing it with a breaker bar on the flywheel nut.

I've got 2 twin cylinder onans running in the last couple months that were stuck from sitting.Both run very good with the exception of the BG48 having a severely corroded carburetor but it does run well just won't hold carb settings.It Either runs way to rich or way to lean.

Don't know why but every one I get here to work on with the round carb gives me troubles.Everyone says the square carbs are the troublesome ones.

I don't know much about small engine head gaskets. Do you replace them every time you pull a head or can they be reused?

#28 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 09:57 PM

I don't know much about small engine head gaskets. Do you replace them every time you pull a head or can they be reused?

Honestly I couldn't tell you I have never changed a head gasket on a small engine, if the head gasket
was bad definitely and I am sure someone has reused one and it worked just fine, if I just put a new one
on and had to take the head back off I would reuse it and if it did not reseal I would just buy another one they are pretty cheap

#29 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 10:26 PM

Got a little more done today I cleaned and painted my rear wheels and removed
the rear fenders so I could hammer out some dents then clean and paint them
plus I can get to the frame so I can clean and paint it might be a little
easier with them off.

Plan on doing the front wheels tomorrow and maybe get the fenders ready for
paint ? probably check and change the gear oil while its easy to get to also.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160827_175259.jpg
  • IMG_20160827_175251.jpg
  • IMG_20160827_175242.jpg
  • IMG_20160827_175221.jpg
  • IMG_20160827_175319.jpg

#30 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 07:41 PM

Got the front wheels cleaned and painted today the smaller wheels seem harder to
work on not as much room to get a wire brush in the front deeper side of the
wheel oh well they are all four done they look a lot better than the dirt, rust,
and scratches did not get to the rear fenders I plan on doing them next week and
clean and paint the outside of the frame and fenders with rust reformer.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160828_190616.jpg
  • IMG_20160828_190510.jpg

Edited by oldcuz, August 30, 2016 - 12:33 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears suburban