• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:01 AM

Hopefully you guys can help me, I recently rebuilt my 127, new starter, wire harness, solenoid, points, electronic ignition, coil, well pretty much everything minus the voltage regulator. Finally started it up last night and ran great, was charging and everything looked good. I started to mow with it for about fifteen minutes and noticed my amp gauge showed no charge so I look and my new starter is smoking out of the case vent. I thought possibly just oil from shipping but after an hour of cooling down I now have a no start situation, checked the battery fully charged. Could the voltage regulator have caused this? What do you all think this could be? Thanks in advance.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,799 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:18 AM

I'm puzzled too. There are several possibilities. Somewhere in our Manuals Section is a good pamphlet on how to diagnose these problems. I would start by inspecting the starter to see if it fried. Good Luck, Rick

• Eric said thank you

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:24 AM

It's possible the regulator shorted the field to run at full charge capacity and burn it up.  Did your battery puke any electrolyte out?  Your battery would have been boiling pretty good if it ran long enough with the regulator/genny in that condition.

• Eric said thank you

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Battery seems fine but it is full size car battery and was brand new. I plan on troubleshooting this but to that matter this is how I have arrived here. This whole evolution started due to a slow starter generator, it was worn beyond repair, I suspect the previous owner was not much for maintaining anything.
  • chieffan said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,753 Thanks
  • 18,029 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:40 AM

Have you tested to see what output the regulator was charging the battery at? These delco remy starters will overheat and prematurely wear out if the regulators are set at anything higher than around 14 volts

My starter shop said regulators should be set to run at 13-14 volts

• Alc, Eric and chieffan have said thanks

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 09:14 AM

It was charging slightly above thirteen volts and then it looked like it was no longer charging and smoke started to come. Can't start the tractor now so kind of have to figure out how to proceed a bit blind. Worst part is the voltage regulator and starter are expensive parts to be replacing without finding the exact problem first, I would hate to burn up another starter.
  • chieffan said thank you

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,899 Thanks
  • 2,445 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 09:47 AM

Probably more than you want to know:  http://gardentractor...lletin-img-150/  and

http://gardentractor...rvice-bulletin/

Check if the starter/generator is grounded well to its mounting, and ground is good back to the battery.

Take the belt off the starter, and use jumper cables to ground the starter and apply 12v to the "A" terminal of the starter.  ...The starter should run. 

If not, more than likely one or both field coils are possibly fried.

• Eric said thank you

#8 48willys ONLINE  

48willys

• Member No: 8184
  • 171 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 09:53 AM

Make sure your start circuit isn't stuck on, if something shorted out and at was trying to run the generator it may fry it. Also make sure the wire from the starter solenoid isn't grounding on anything and causing a short. Only a guess but I would say if it had something to do with the regulator it would have heated up the wiring to it too.  

• Eric said thank you

#9 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,272 Thanks
  • 646 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 11:01 AM

Smoke and electronics don't mix so it's probably junk, when you say the starter/generator is new do you mean one of the Chinese ones off eBay?

Edited by olds45512, August 12, 2016 - 11:42 AM.

• Eric said thank you

#10 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:40 PM

Little update, I tried jumping the starter and it's a no go took the belt off and she doesn't even think about turning. Yes it was a epay unit, I suspect it was built poorly as it was a bit stiff to turn and not as smooth as my original. I am going to order a new starter generator, ameter, voltage regulator, and some other bits tonight. This time I will be ordering from ccspecialties they should be reputable.

#11 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,272 Thanks
  • 646 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 02:20 PM

Little update, I tried jumping the starter and it's a no go took the belt off and she doesn't even think about turning. Yes it was a epay unit, I suspect it was built poorly as it was a bit stiff to turn and not as smooth as my original. I am going to order a new starter generator, ameter, voltage regulator, and some other bits tonight. This time I will be ordering from ccspecialties they should be reputable.

no, do not order another new starter/generator, the new ones are junk. What's wrong with the original one and why don't you have it rebuilt?

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,008 Thanks
  • 6,174 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 08:31 PM

:iagree:   Any electric motor repair shop can rebuild that starter/generator.  I have an old IH repair shop that has done a few of mine and have had good luck with them.  If you have to replace it, get an old original unit and even if you have to have new bushings/bearings put in you will have a much better unit.

#13 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 12:46 AM

I do not live near, well anything and also the original starter was not on this tractor when I bought it. So currently I am sitting on two new but burnt starter generators. I appreciate all things old also and will rebuild what I can as nothing seems to be of the quality it used to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cub cadet, starter generator