27 replies to this topic

#16 Altaxis OFFLINE  

Altaxis

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3492
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 02:02 PM

As requested I've uploaded a video of me driving the Gilson.
Watch and enjoy:rocker2:
Gilson G10 testrun on Vimeo

#17 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 04:13 PM

I very nice gilson. you might want to check the fluid in the tranmission. if the engine in it is in fact a briggs and stratton, then the date is like this yy-mm-dd. y is year, m is month ect
  • Altaxis said thank you

#18 Altaxis OFFLINE  

Altaxis

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 12:36 PM

I very nice gilson. you might want to check the fluid in the tranmission. if the engine in it is in fact a briggs and stratton, then the date is like this yy-mm-dd. y is year, m is month ect

Thanks for the info about how to read out the date! It was built in 1973 so it's cool that it is still running.
Unfortunately the mower deck gave up, or at least the bearings in one of the knifespindles. I've search around here in Sweden for new bearings and finally found'em. But way to pricy. About 20$ each and I am planning on changing them all and there's six of them... Ebay is really my friend. I found a lot of six bearings including shipping home to sweden for ~40$. The best thing is the shipping time, payed on a Friday, got the bearings the next Wednesday!
Now I just need to find someone with a gas torch or similar to get the busted bearings out and then I'll be out mowing again.

#19 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 02:05 PM

Thanks ... enjoyed seeing that nice old tractor!

#20 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,289 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 12:45 AM

That thing is in Very good condition for the year.

Does anything rust over there?I don't see 1 spec of rust on her.

#21 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 01:42 AM

WE can do "swenglish" ......welcome aboard . nice lookin tractor . is that a diesel , im not familiar with gilson

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 03:30 AM

Great to hear it is running. Hope you can get the deck refurbished soon. I'm sure the grass isn't going to wait for you.

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 05:10 AM

Nice looking tractor you have there. It is in remarkable condition for a 1973. It looks like it was well maintained and kept in a heated storage area. It's good to see new forum members in Europe.

#24 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for sharing .... I like the front end view of that model Gilson. They are neat little tractors.

#25 Altaxis OFFLINE  

Altaxis

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 01:32 PM

That thing is in Very good condition for the year.

Does anything rust over there?I don't see 1 spec of rust on her.

Everything rusts over here!:mad2: You don't see any rust because it's hidden under the dirt... There really isn't much rust, probably because it has been stored inside my barn for ~10 years and as far as I know, never been used at winter.

WE can do "swenglish" ......welcome aboard . nice lookin tractor . is that a diesel , im not familiar with gilson

It's nice to know that i'm making myself understood :smile1: we actually do have an expression in Swedish just like that; "Svengelska".
It's not a diesel engine, did it sound like one or are you just curious?

Great to hear it is running. Hope you can get the deck refurbished soon. I'm sure the grass isn't going to wait for you.

:beerchug: The deck is now remounted to the tractor and working! There might however be a strange sound that I don't think was there before but it might just be my paranoia, I usually "hear" strange noises from stuff that I have fixed myself...:blush2:

Nice looking tractor you have there. It is in remarkable condition for a 1973. It looks like it was well maintained and kept in a heated storage area. It's good to see new forum members in Europe.

It really is in good condition. The worst part is at the front where the hood is mounted. Quite big cracks there. If I only had a welding equipment...
I really have no idea about how it have been maintained but I know it have been stored in my barn for the last ~10 years without heating.

Thanks for sharing .... I like the front end view of that model Gilson. They are neat little tractors.

The front end is actually the part i like the least:blush2: But as we say in Sweden; The taste is like your butt, divided...

By the way, thanks for the nice things you say about my gt:smile1:

#26 MrNorway OFFLINE  

MrNorway

• Member No: 4437
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hi there, I'm from Norway and also got my first Gilson S-14 this summer. The front end needs total renovation, and is in progress. I got the deck with the tractor, but the owner never tryed is on. I think i miss some parts to get in under the tractor, can you post some pictures on how it is mounted? That would help me alot!

I think your Gilson looks good!

#27 Altaxis OFFLINE  

Altaxis

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 12:16 PM

Hi there, I'm from Norway and also got my first Gilson S-14 this summer. The front end needs total renovation, and is in progress. I got the deck with the tractor, but the owner never tryed is on. I think i miss some parts to get in under the tractor, can you post some pictures on how it is mounted? That would help me alot!

I think your Gilson looks good!

Hi and welcome to Gttalk!
Sorry for the delay. If you check out the manual section you will find the manual for a 42" mower deck. It's complete with partslist and mounting instruction. If you still need photos i'll try to remember to bring the camera out to the mower.

Good luck!

#28 mrcrispi OFFLINE  

mrcrispi

• Member No: 4404
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 10:57 AM

That's a mighty fine tractor you own, good job!
I have the same problem with my drive shaft, at the moment only HALF the circle is there and mounted to the engine.. I dread the day when i have to get that thing out of there, there's no way besides pulling the engine, and the PTO is going to be the hardest part, it won't come off easy..
That's going to be one heck of a weekend project!