#1 Altaxis OFFLINE  

Altaxis

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3492
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 02:31 AM

Hi!
Just wanted to make a short introduction; I'm a 26 year old guy from Sweden.
I just got my hands on a Gilson G10 (for a bottle of whiskey...:smile1:) whit a broken drive shaft. Got a welder friend to fix it and soon it will be up and running.
The Carburetor didn't work because the nozzle was broken, new parts ordered from Texas for a third of the price in Sweden.:worshippy2:

I hope to learn a lot from you guys and hopefully even contribute with something myself.
This is the current state of the tractor:
Hela traktorn.jpg
Here's the broken drive shaft:
Kardanaxel.jpg

/Samuel

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 03:13 AM

Altaxis, :welcome: to GTTalk! Thanks for the pictures
That's a nice looking tractor you have there, and a very good deal too.

Glad you will be able to fix it, let us know when it's moving on it's own.
Did you get any attachments with it?

#3 Altaxis OFFLINE  

Altaxis

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 03:37 AM

Thank's for the welcome, MH81!
It really was a good deal, my neighbor has been storing it in my barn for quite some years now and I wanted him to either get rid of it or sell it to me. He did the later.
I got a 42", 3 bladed deck to it as well and thats needed, I don't like mowing my 5000sqm lawn with a walk-behind mower... and my old tractor is to big and makes to much damage to the lawn when using the "haymower".
I would like to get my hands on a snow blower but they are hard to get by here in Sweden and the freight cost from your side of the puddle is to high.
I'm thinking of rebuilding a walk-behind snow blower with a bad engine to fit on the Gilson, but I have a lot of other projects going on that has higher priority.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 04:23 AM

Thank's for the welcome, MH81!
I got a 42", 3 bladed deck to it as well and thats needed, I don't like mowing my 5000sqm lawn with a walk-behind mower...

Seat time is always better than walking. :D
Good to hear the Gilson will be earning it's keep.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 04:37 AM

Altaxis,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

#6 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 05:37 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:17 AM

:welcome: When you get a chance, get on the member map. I hope your 'new' mower will not take too much to be working.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:38 AM

:wave: Altaxis Welcome to Gttalk! It's great to have you with us! I'm not positive, but you may be our first member from Sweden! We'd love to see some pics of the Gilson when you get a chance. Would be awesome to have you on the member map as well. We hope that you enjoy the forum and all that it has to offer!

#9 Altaxis OFFLINE  

Altaxis

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:55 AM

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
I have already found the member map and added my location there. I've surfed around the forum a bit and i think I can enjoy this place...Maybe I'll put some pictures and info on my big tractor in that part of the forum as well...
The Gilson in its current state mainly needs to be put back together. The only parts that I know are broken is the driveshaft and the carburetor nozzle. It actually did run with the broken nozzle but I couldn't get it to run smoothly.
Once my friend fixes the shaft I'll put everything (except the carb) back together and then I can take som more photos of it. If I'm lucky the carb-parts will arrive in the end of next week and then I'll be up and running again.
  • caseguy and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:18 PM

That's great! Just checked out the map! Can't wait to see the pics!

#11 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:32 PM

ALTAXIS, Welcome, and good to have you here. Are Gilsons very plentiful in Sweden? It is always interesting to hear from other parts of the world, and what brands of tractors are available. Also interesting to see pics of local brands of walk behinds, and tractors.

Again, great to hear from you!

Please do not worry about your English, Yours is already better than most of High School children in this country.

Best regards, George
  • Altaxis said thank you

#12 Altaxis OFFLINE  

Altaxis

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 10:45 AM

ALTAXIS, Welcome, and good to have you here. Are Gilsons very plentiful in Sweden? It is always interesting to hear from other parts of the world, and what brands of tractors are available. Also interesting to see pics of local brands of walk behinds, and tractors.

Again, great to hear from you!

Please do not worry about your English, Yours is already better than most of High School children in this country.

Best regards, George

I really don't know how many gilson's we have in Sweden. The most common brands of consumer GT's are Stiga, Husqvarna, Partner and MTD.
In walk behinds I think the most common are the three first mentioned above and also Klippo, Toro, Viking and bosch.
I have a Stiga turbo walkbehind (photo attached) that is no fun at all to work with because of the size of my lawn.
I also have a big tractor, a Zetor 5011 with a "haymower" (photo attached). If someone could tell me what you call it in english I would be very happy.
The Zetor is from the Czech republic.

About my English, we start to learn English at the age of ~10 and continue until at least ~17. We also watch a lot of TV/movies from your side of the puddle and unless you're a child we use subtitles or more often in my case, without subtitles. With my signature i just make sure you know why i make grammar mistakes...:orangecool:

Attached Thumbnails

• Stiga.jpg
  • Zetor.jpg

#13 Altaxis OFFLINE  

Altaxis

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 10:22 AM

It's totally amazing! The carburetor parts I ordered last Friday (exactly seven days ago) just got delivered. Mind you, I ordered them from Texas to Sweden.
I've put the carb back together and I managed to get it to run smooth. At first it only run with the choke pulled but after some adjustment it works like a charm without choke. I also changed the oil. Now I'm just waiting for my friend to get the driveshaft ready then its mowing time!

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:53 PM

Fantastic! Glad to hear it's running. When you get it in motion, be sure to take a video of you driving it around.

#15 Altaxis OFFLINE  

Altaxis

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 12:31 PM

It's time to move the lawn...
Yesterday I got the driveshaft fixed and I also picked up a new belt to the PTO and then the assembly started. I almost got it working last night but first it wouldn't start. I couldn't got the starter-motor to turn. It probably took me an hour to locate the broken ground-wire.
This morning I continued to put it back together and finally it got some fresh air.
After a short test run without the mower deck, everything works great, the biggest problem is behind the wheel. I have never driven a GT before...:blush2:
With the mower deck attached I realized that you need to maneuver the PTO-lever very carefully or you'll kill the engine. But it works like a charm and I have so far mowed about 3/4 of my lawn plus the 400 m long road down to the ocean.

Here's some pictures:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00429.jpg
  • SDC10113.jpg
  • SDC10106.jpg
  • SDC10109.jpg
  • DSC00428.jpg
  • SDC10104.jpg
  • SDC10102.jpg
  • SDC10098.jpg
  • SDC10097.jpg