11 replies to this topic

#1 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 83309
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 05:46 AM

I can see that the clutch has opened when the petal is depressed, but the driveshaft is still spinning. For a lack of a better term does the "throwout bearing"need to be lubricated, if so how? Or do I need to disassemble and cleaned?

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 06:12 AM

Is the clutch free on both sides when you push the petal down?

sometimes they will stick together, try a wooden mallet and see if it breaks free

• flyboy said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:10 AM

Sounds like clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel

• flyboy said thank you

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 09:13 AM

I can see that the clutch has opened when the petal is depressed, but the driveshaft is still spinning.

The clutch pulley has fiber facings bonded to each side.  ....When the clutch pedal is pressed down, the clutch facings on both sides need to be free from their mating faces.

As Brian said, sometimes one facing is "stuck" to its mating part, or maybe the clutch needs adjustment.

If both faces are away from their mating parts when the clutch is down, and the driveshaft still spins, the needle bearings in the clutch pulley may be seized.

There are other possibilities as well.  ...The clutch yokes may be worn, clutch adjustment may be needed, the brake facing may be worn or missing.

• flyboy said thank you

#5 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 10:05 AM

Is the clutch free on both sides when you push the petal down?

sometimes they will stick together, try a wooden mallet and see if it breaks free

What you are describing "both sides" is something I am not seeing at the time. I will look closer. Sounds like this would be an easy fix. The clutch worked fine when I picked up the tractor 2 weeks ago.

#6 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 10:47 AM

Here are pictures of what the clutch pieces look like in a 1050 that may help.  As stated the lining on the pulley could be stuck to one of the plate faces, the needle bearings could be seized or something else may be wrong or something may be out of adjustment.   

Attached Thumbnails

• Clutch Back Together 2.jpg
  • Clutch Back Together.jpg
  • Clutch Pulley.jpg
  • Clutchplate.jpg
  • Driveshaft.jpg
  • Release Bearing Installed.jpg
  • Release Bearing.jpg
  • Driveshhaft Set In 1.jpg
  • Clutch Disengaged.jpg
  • Underneath Picture 1.jpg
  • Underneath Picture 2.jpg
  • Underneath Picture 3.jpg

• Bolens 1000, CanadianHobbyFarmer and flyboy have said thanks

#7 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 04:05 PM

Since you said you can see it open, my guess is the needle bearings, located in the sheave are your problem. The grease in the needle bearings on mine dried out and caused the bearing to lock up. I was able to take it apart, clean out all the dried grease and get it rolling again. This was over a year ago and it still running fine. This is my main workhorse around here for cutting grass and garden work.

Jim

• flyboy said thank you

#8 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 07:29 AM

Here are pictures of what the clutch pieces look like in a 1050 that may help.  As stated the lining on the pulley could be stuck to one of the plate faces, the needle bearings could be seized or something else may be wrong or something may be out of adjustment.   

WOW! That will really help!  Thanks for the pic's

#9 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Since you said you can see it open, my guess is the needle bearings, located in the sheave are your problem. The grease in the needle bearings on mine dried out and caused the bearing to lock up. I was able to take it apart, clean out all the dried grease and get it rolling again. This was over a year ago and it still running fine. This is my main workhorse around here for cutting grass and garden work.

Jim

There seems to be a consensus here, pointing to dried out needle bearings. Makes since to me. This 1050 is my new acquire and is next for restoring. SO - the advice provided here and the pictures from 29 Chev will really help with my endeavor!! THANKS!

#10 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Those reference pictures are great. BTW the restoration on that tractor must be amazing based on your pictures.

#11 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 01:20 PM

Those reference pictures are great. BTW the restoration on that tractor must be amazing based on your pictures.

I agree! Everything looks meticulously fresh!  Anything that can wear out has been replaced, even the bolts are new. Like I said before  - WOW!

#12 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 09:36 AM

Forgot to post a picture of the needle bearings installed inside the pulley and the sleeve they run on when the clutch is disengaged.  If you disassemble the clutch I would suggest you make sure the needles turn inside the cage in case someone has had the unit apart and damaged or installed them incorrectly - the needles should be parallel to the bore.  Sometimes they get on an angle to the cage if someone is installing them and is not careful and then they will bind and not rotate properly - you can use a small flat screwdriver or a pick to make sure they rotate freely.  I would also suggest you lubricate them with fresh grease before you reassemble the unit. 

Attached Thumbnails

• New needle bearings installed in pulley.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, August 20, 2016 - 09:45 AM.

• flyboy said thank you