• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Guys ...you all have been a good source of info in trials and tribulations on here and I appreciate it.

I`ve been tearing up stuff since I was big enough to get in Daddy`s toolbox, I`ve rebuilt just about every kind of engine there are...outboards , auto,motorcycle...even made a livin` building Heavy equip for a while. I think I did one lawnmower way back there before they got too complicated. They are the last thing I like to fool with...mostly because of the governor stuff. I`m gonna have to get into this Kohler a little just to see if it will run soon.

Now a couple of question for now...I`m sure they`ll be more to come.

I pulled the sparkplug and it still feels like it has a compression stroke when you roll it around......I see a panel they call a crankcase breather...is this what is making it feel like it is doing a compression stroke....you can kind of hear it hissing from somewhere, This engine was repainted at least once before I got it and I`ve repainted it myself.  Could that paint not allow it to "breathe" It almost looks like it supposed to have a gap between the outer cover and the block ?? Paint got it blocked /sealed up ??

Another thing is I`m finding a 2 -wire in a sleeve coming out from under the shroud around the front flywheel area I`m assuming is the stator...looks like it was suppose to come around the side where the starter is located....and I have single wire that looks like it coming from the same area but pulled to the opposite side of the engine. I`m not finding a good wiring diagram for the tractor and the Kohler has the diagrams with the setup for many different applications. Any help deciphering this or better diagrams than I am finding ...color codes would be nice but...

Thanks ahead !!

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 08:30 AM

Lucky for you kohler has very extensive manuals and small engine repair should be very easy to learn considering your background. First step is to identify your engine if you no longer have a tag on the blower housing giving you the model number you still should be able to cross reference what motor came with that particular tractor, it's a start at least.from there check the manuals on this site, I am sure the PK guys will be along to help you with what came in your tractor.

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 08:56 AM

Most of those Kohler singles have ACR to ease in starting.  I suspect you hear the engine bleeding off compression to make it easier to start.

• Alc said thank you

#4 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 01:17 PM

It compressing and hissing with the spark plug out !

#5 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 01:20 PM

I have crossed out the numbers on engine housing and have got those manuals...still confusing in ways

#6 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 02:59 PM

If you can hear the hissing coming out of the spark plug hole when it turns over, it has to be building pressure somewhere and leaking past the rings. Check the crankcase breather behind the carb.

Just a wild guess

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 03:29 PM

It compressing and hissing with the spark plug out !

The purpose of the breather is to vent pressure from the crankcase, as the piston travels downward.

There is a reed valve in the breather assy to allow the pressure out.  .....As the piston travels upward, the reed valve closes, and a partial vacuum is created in the crankcase.

The partial vacuum helps in keeping oil from blowing past seals or prevents excess pressure from blowing out crankcase gaskets. 

• KC9KAS said thank you

#8 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Pull the oil dipstick out and pull it over again.
Still hear the compression hiss?

#9 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 08:45 PM

thanks guys....I`ll pull that oil fill plug.... Is there anything in the breather that needs regular replacement...kind of like a filter. And I don`t see anywhere for that air to go out...vent. It looks like almost like a porous membrane of some kind where you would think the gasket would be.....got a lot of paint on it now. I`ll check in the morn.

#10 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 10:33 AM

Well I pulled the oil fill plug and stopped the hissing....and decided to take the breather apart just so I`d know what it looked like.  And more water damage !! little bit of rust and when I tried to blow it out it spit more water back at me .. I didn`t take the back plate with the 2 holes in it off because I figured I`d tear the gasket and figured it might  take too long to get a replacement. little bit of rust in the bottom of it, took some steel wool and it cleaned up real good. Put her back together and no more hissing !

I decided to put some oil in it ...tired of hearing unoiled metal scratch around the little bit that I have moved it. Took the drain plug out and with some rags and long screwdriver got most of the gunk out of the bottom of the crankcase. Took a couple of ounces of diesel and sloshed it around in the bottom and wiped it out some more. Pretty clean before I put the oil in and it sounds much better. Once I get it running (hopefully) I`ll change the oil out ...probably go synthetic.

I had a moment of panic when I stuck a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and rolled the crank to put a tiny bit of oil on top of the piston to oil the walls a little bit. I was going to roll the piston to the bottom so the oil wouldn`t run out of the valves. Of course when I rolled it the screwdriver didn`t move......I thought "oh Chit" the piston stuck at the top....busted Rod .....It took me a minute or two to realize the sparkplug is not over the cylinder....Whew !

I`m not seeing an oil pump in any of the diagrams so I`m guessing the dipper on the bottom of the rod is a Slinger type oiling system....???? It sure does sound and feel better with oil in it.

Well I`ve got to go get Hyd Pump belt and a couple of exhaust fittings and spark plug and then I can put the new clutch and throw out bearing on and start to try to put it together. .. Is it going to be impossible to get it together with out the clutch line up tool ???