• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frgccss OFFLINE  

frgccss

• Member No: 3464
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Have a really old (stamping on block says 1962) Miller engine welder with an Onan CCK A engine. The engine has a pull start of the most basic type, wrap the cord around the sheave and pull! Anyone know where I might find a pull starter that automatically rewinds?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 09:39 PM

It might be easier to find a belt driven starter and pulley for it. Check the hole pattern where the pulley would bolt up to the flywheel... May be the same as the old Briggs or Techumseh's

#3 frgccss OFFLINE  

frgccss

• 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:50 AM

Thanks, I'll look into that. Won't do me any good in the field but where there's power it would make things easier.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:25 AM

Thanks, I'll look into that. Won't do me any good in the field but where there's power it would make things easier.

It would if you also installed a battery, a solenoid, and a start switch. Our Lincoln "Rangers" at work are all electric start.

#5 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:02 PM

frg, If you are going to keep the engine on the welder, check for wiring diagrams. If my old grey matter is not too jelled up, a lot of these welders, Lincoln in particular used windings in the generator to be used as a starter. Might check wiring diagrams, and see if on control panel, there is a heavy duty push button that is used as a start switch. Just sayin.

regards, George.

Also check salvage yards, etc for generator onans, had real good hvy duty pull starts. Boomer will probably be of more help.

Edited by dryrun, May 21, 2011 - 08:06 PM.
forgetfulness.

#6 chjr69 OFFLINE  

chjr69

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3330
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 11:51 PM

Hello if you get all the numbers listed I may be able to look up to see if it has the starter in the windings or not. I have some old books for Miller Welders and some Onan books.
  • dryrun said thank you

#7 frgccss OFFLINE  

frgccss

• 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hello if you get all the numbers listed I may be able to look up to see if it has the starter in the windings or not. I have some old books for Miller Welders and some Onan books.

Won't work. Checked with my guy at Miller, Miller engine welders are not generators. they are alternators. Thanks any way. Fgrccss
  • dryrun said thank you