• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 06:42 PM

Any thing to do, is fun on a garden tractor or any tractor. Put them to use and see what they will do ! But be safe about it. !! Had a broken branch last week I was going to cut up. MF 12 would not pull it out, so got the ferguson tractor out, even it took three tries. But got the wood.
Poplar wood, not much good for any thing. Kindling , maybe??

Noel

Poplar works pretty ok for firewood, I wanted to try logging for selling the wood to campers/tourist for bonfires
  • propane1 said thank you

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 10:11 PM

A log arch is a good idea. You will thank yourself for making it.

As for direct hook, short chain and never hook to the tractor any higher than the bottom of the axel.
  • oldedeeres and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#18 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 12:59 AM

Be very careful. Many people have been injured and died trying to log with tractors.    Don 

• MH81, boyscout862 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#19 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 09:26 AM

As for direct hook, short chain and never hook to the tractor any higher than the bottom of the axel.

Ok, thanks for the advice.

#20 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 09:33 AM

I have a 2" receiver in one tractor, I use a ball platform that drops down fairly low, it gives me better center of gravity.

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#21 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 10:21 AM

Nearly every day but, do not attempt to over do it. As one member put it, "pulled the guts out of this", moving the last log of the tree laying in background, each one was 12' long.

126.jpg

Increased front end weight to stop the rearing up. Little Murray LT gave its all...split the end out trans axle.

Moved up to a Craftsman II GT. Try not to push its limits and no problems yet with the log mover.

• MH81 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#22 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 12:00 PM

Be very careful. Many people have been injured and died trying to log with tractors.    Don 

These two posts need NEON signs around them !! No matter the size of the tractor or log if the butt end digs in it will pull the unit over, often with disastrous results to both people and equipment.

These GT's will do AMAZING things and we often get them to do more than they were designed for and yes they will move some good size logs BUT securing/building an arch should be the first step. Talk to any professional logger and ask how many friends and co-workers have been killed when a butt-end digs into the dirt or hits another stump.

BE CAREFUL and enjoy your tractors to the max SAFELY in this case meaning with an arch !

Sorry if I seem like a wet blanket, but my day job is in safety and I see and investigate some awful things....

#23 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 12:21 PM

Been doing it for years.  Now, my tractor is a garden tractor only just a bit bigger.  Still only 15hp.  The land in the pictures is all on the side of a pretty steep hill.  Not the best idea but I know the tractor and how it reacts quite well.  That said, there are always surprises.  The lower the center of gravity on the tractor, the better.  You can add all the weight in the world but if your center of gravity is too high, you're in trouble.  I do not recommend doing this the way I do, but it's what I have and all I know.  I routinely have logs catch on roots and other trees.  Because of the low center of gravity, the tractor just spins and digs itself into a hole.  That's why this tractor is my logging tractor.

WOOD 1.JPG WOOD 2.JPG WOOD 3.JPG

Edited by David Brown, August 11, 2016 - 12:23 PM.

• MH81, oldedeeres and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#24 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 03:23 PM

And of course you know that when falling even the smallest of trees to cut the stump off below ground level if you plan on using the cleared space as a road/pathway. Nothing like catching a stump with a snow plow, blade edge, wheel rim, etc. etc. Whiplash is no fun.

#25 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 10:47 AM

So I'm back on the logging idea...

I have a lead on a pair of craftsman tractors, I want to outfit them for logging...

Does anyone have ideas?

So far, I want to add the following:

Winch,

Butt plate for logs,

Atv tires and tire chains

Weights on the rear end

A rock box on the front end to keep it planted on the ground.

Any more ideas?
  • toppop52 said thank you

#26 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 10:52 AM

Depending on the year and model, many have weak steering that won't hold up to weight, it can be remedied, but not easily. If they are older, 80's and back, you might be ok.

It's the same with all the AYP built tractors from around 1990, Statesman, Wizard, etc...

Edited by toppop52, October 11, 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#27 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 11:51 AM

Depending on the year and model, many have weak steering that won't hold up to weight, it can be remedied, but not easily. If they are older, 80's and back, you might be ok.

It's the same with all the AYP built tractors from around 1990, Statesman, Wizard, etc...

No idea of year, I'm buying them because of them being cheap hp, much like the old ji case 70/90/94 series power shift tractors...

I am very aware of the weak steering issues, not too bothered. Just to get my feet on the ground with this logging stuff.

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 12:54 PM

I will restate my earlier post.
If you plan on pulling with units like these, please put arch ahead of the winch in the list.
I am currently pulling logs out with a dozer. It can catch too, but with the blade out front and older tracks, she just spins or stalls... with one exception.
During the last batch, she had to pull a decent hill with a white oak top in tow. It didn't feel unstable, but wasn't the same either. I stopped and unhooked from part of it. Rather two trips out than one to the hospital. Even with how safe I am being, I've still had some pucker moments.

#29 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 02:04 PM

I will restate my earlier post.
If you plan on pulling with units like these, please put arch ahead of the winch in the list.
I am currently pulling logs out with a dozer. It can catch too, but with the blade out front and older tracks, she just spins or stalls... with one exception.
During the last batch, she had to pull a decent hill with a white oak top in tow. It didn't feel unstable, but wasn't the same either. I stopped and unhooked from part of it. Rather two trips out than one to the hospital. Even with how safe I am being, I've still had some pucker moments.

Ok. I'm Trying to keep costs low, for a while until me and my friend start turning a profit, then we will get better equipment. I'll see if I can't build an arch in welding class...

The trees we are looking at cutting are just 8" and under poplar, about 20' and under in length.
  • MH81 said thank you

#30 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 02:22 PM

I would be cutting them to a length easily handled by your tractor so you don't break anything.  The firewood is a good idea.  There are a number of places nearby where you can purchase small bundle of firewood for $5.00 which is perfect for campers and the poplar splits easily by hand when green so it would be ready for next season.

Edited by Jazz, October 11, 2016 - 02:24 PM.