8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Stano OFFLINE  

Joe Stano
  • Member No: 84226
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 08:46 PM

Hello all,

Hoping for some help troubleshooting my Cub Cadet LTX1050-KW (90 hours). It runs smoothly for 5-15 minutes and then starts running rough. I leave it alone for awhile and it runs ok for a bit, then starts doing this again. Kawasaki engine. Just had the carb cleaned earlier this year, and valves recently adjusted.

Today it didn't even want to start after it shut off from this erratic idling. I smelled gas pretty strongly.

Here's a video. I was playing with the choke to try to correct the idle, but no dice. This was on low throttle. Same behavior if I go full throttle.

Anyone know what's going on?

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 10:25 PM

That sure sounds like a fuel issue. Maybe tank vent, have you tried taking the gas cap off? Also maybe bad fuel filter? Not sure if this model has a fuel pump but that also could cause erratic fuel issues.

#3 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,303 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 10:28 PM

My guess is wrong float adjustment, easy to fumble up when rebuilding a carb, cause most folks do this step 1st, when it should actually be the last step, once verified, move onto the secondary jet, seems to be running lean. Good luck; )

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 10:51 PM

Sounds like a Twin cylinder with Dirt in the carb.Main jet gets plugged up easily if 1 small piece of grass happens to get inside of the carb.

If you are mechanically inclined you can take the Float bowl off of the carburetor and blow the dirt out of the jets with Carb Cleaner.

Which engine is in it the Kawasaki or Kohler twin?

#5 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,303 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 11:27 PM

Sounds like a Twin cylinder with Dirt in the carb.Main jet gets plugged up easily if 1 small piece of grass happens to get inside of the carb.

If you are mechanically inclined you can take the Float bowl off of the carburetor and blow the dirt out of the jets with Carb Cleaner.

Which engine is in it the Kawasaki or Kohler twin?

Kawi

Should STILL BE same results!

Edited by stiemmy, August 09, 2016 - 11:28 PM.

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 323 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 11:30 PM

Sounds like a dirty carb, Don

#7 Joe Stano OFFLINE  

Joe Stano
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 04:47 PM

Thanks guys. I think you guys are right. Carb issue of some kind. Gas cap looks clean, the vent hole doesn't appear to be blocked in any way.

If I'm being honest, I'm not really that mechanically inclined. So the carb adjustment sounds like something I should hire out. 

Going to switch mechanics though. The last guy adjusted the carb, and I'm guessing @stiemmy is right, seems like it wasn't done quite right.

#8 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • Member No: 81045
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 05:39 PM

How old is your fuel? It does sound like a dirty or badly adjusted carb but make sure you've got fresh fuel or treated fuel

#9 Joe Stano OFFLINE  

Joe Stano
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 02:24 PM

Pretty fresh fuel, maybe a week old at the most. I usually add StaBil when I fill up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: idle, ltx1050, rough