• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 07:39 PM

I don't usually let mechanical things trouble me. I take my time, troubleshoot and work my way through whatever I'm working on. But this one aggravates me. It's the grease fitting on the lower ball joint of my 2008 2500 Dodge.

How the heck is a person supposed to get a grease gun on this?

image.jpeg

• MFDAC said thank you

#2 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 08:19 PM

That jacked up?, if it is a needle tip more than likely

#3 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 08:21 PM

I first thought it was bent, but both sides are like that.

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Looks like something like THIS would solve your problem..  Or you can use a Nipple type adapter to get some grease in there..  

All I got..

• MFDAC, Sawdust and JBRamsey have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Use a tip that attaches on the side, not the end.  Neighbor has one for a couple zerks on his Chopper that are in tight places.  It is a JD chopper so he may have got it through JD.

• JBRamsey said thank you

#6 pick-to-stone ONLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 254 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 10:21 AM

Don't know what to tell you I grease a lot of equtment but that is a little too hard for me and may make me rage

Edited by pick-to-stone, September 14, 2016 - 10:21 AM.

• JBRamsey said thank you

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 10:12 PM

I don't usually let mechanical things trouble me. I take my time, troubleshoot and work my way through whatever I'm working on. But this one aggravates me. It's the grease fitting on the lower ball joint of my 2008 2500 Dodge.

How the heck is a person supposed to get a grease gun on this?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Dang, it looks like they may have "clocked" the ball joint incorrectly, or would any angle still be impossible to get on?

The only easy fix I can think of to use a standard gun is take that zirk out, and go to one with a 45* or whatever angle may help?

The other day I ordered ball joints for a 44 year old Dana 44 front axle and most options I found had an impossible zirk location on the upper one that even changing to an angled one wouldn't work. Finally found a set with a good zirk position but they cost twice as much. Was still a lot cheaper than OEM which never had zirks to begin with----go figure!

DAC

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 05:13 AM

Looks like there is a rock stuck under there too.

#9 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 05:47 AM

I noticed the rock too Kenny.

Maybe get the Dremel tool out and grind just a touch more clearance? 

BTW,  They sell more new ball joints when they are not greaseable.     :(

#10 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 09:58 AM

Sand, rocks, mud, sticks. I get lots of things under and on my trucks. A few times a year I power wash underneath and hit the underbody spray at the quarter car wash after every beach trip and muddy off-road adventure. I use my trucks. I don't abuse them but I use them. The boys and I can be found anywhere from surf fishing on the beach to in the mountains fording creeks and on logging roads going hunting to dragging a trailer loaded with tractors or old trucks.

In my younger days, I was really hard on my trucks. Back then my philosophy was if it didn't fall off or out of the bed, load it up. I still have my first 4wd and if it could talk it could enlighten me on a few events and a strange dent or two from more than one late night adventure. I do recall being so deep in the mountains one night we couldn't open the doors. Still not sure how we got back out. One thing is, it's hard to roll a truck when you are that tight in the trees.

They don't put zerks in from the factory because it saves a drill and tap operation and about three cents on the zerk. I just spent a Saturday changing the upper and lower a-arms on my neighbor's Silverado because the ball joints had no grease fittings and were not serviceable.

#11 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 05:13 AM

Needle tip would do it.   I replaced a ball joint and the hole for grease zerk had a plug in it as if using a grease zerk was optional. I won't buy front end parts that cannot be greased. I have seen other front end parts where a plug has been left in when a zerk could have been screwed in,,,guess it depends on who is doing the install

Edited by Jazz, September 29, 2016 - 05:16 AM.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 05:28 AM

I have seen other front end parts where a plug has been left in when a zerk could have been screwed in,,,guess it depends on who is doing the install

I've had them too on ball joints , I think they want you to remove the plug , put a fitting in , grease , then put the plug back . I had to do that but I'll try to see it the axle U-joint clears the grease fitting and if it  does I'll just leave it in .