• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 12:32 PM

I am interested in growing a few acres of grain, for selling on a small scale to family members and close friends...

For planting there's no seed drills that would work well on say my Moto Mower 6020, so I would like to build my own/buy and modify one.

Would an aerator/spreader tool work for planting grain like wheat oats and barley?

Would such a unit stand up to being used for 6 or 7 acres a year?

Are the seed rate controls any good for getting any amount of precision?

Are these units any good in loose, tilled ground?

I plan on mounting 2 together, exactly like how farmers mount 2 smaller seed drills side by side, and installing a row of dethatcher tines/baler pickup teeth for seed coverage.

I hope I'm making myself clear...

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 03:02 PM

You may be further ahead to have a neighbor drill in your seed and get it right the first time.  I know that isn't like doing it yourself but sometime we got to bend a little.

• boyscout862 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#3 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 03:18 PM

You may be further ahead to have a neighbor drill in your seed and get it right the first time. I know that isn't like doing it yourself but sometime we got to bend a little.

Ya, makes sense... I don't really need to have the neighbor do it, I live on a farm with my dad. The idea was to make it "independent"

#4 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 04:06 PM

I plant a barley/legume mix for pasture for my pigs. I am seeding less than 1/4 acre though, so after tilling I just scatter the seed by hand and then rake it in by hand. This method works fine for me, though I have a sleeve hitch dethatcher/dump rake now, so I will use that to rake it in next year. I have never used a drop down spreader like you are talking about, so I have no idea how well it would work. I think a broadcast type spreader would work well if it had a big enough capacity, otherwise you will be constantly stopping to refill it. I think you would have to run the dethatcher over it in a separate operation though.

Jim

• Alc and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#5 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 09:59 PM

I plant a barley/legume mix for pasture for my pigs. I am seeding less than 1/4 acre though, so after tilling I just scatter the seed by hand and then rake it in by hand. This method works fine for me, though I have a sleeve hitch dethatcher/dump rake now, so I will use that to rake it in next year. I have never used a drop down spreader like you are talking about, so I have no idea how well it would work. I think a broadcast type spreader would work well if it had a big enough capacity, otherwise you will be constantly stopping to refill it. I think you would have to run the dethatcher over it in a separate operation though.

Jim

I was planning on mounting the tines from the dethatcher on the back of the spreader, attached to a brace to keep things together
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 05:31 AM

Is the  type of spreader that your thinking about ? 

081174074004.jpg

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#7 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 09:02 AM

Is the type of spreader that your thinking about ?
081174074004.jpg

Yes, almost exactly the one.

#8 aga5032 OFFLINE  

aga5032
  • Member No: 78917
  • 11 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 09:35 AM

I have one like in the picture above. You may want to check to see if the seed you plan to plant will actually feed through the drop spreader of that unit. I plant winter wheat in my garden which seems to have fairly large seeds which would not fit through that spreader. I don't know the size of other seeds you are taking about though.

I use mine for aerating and overseeding grass seed at the same time. It works very well for me, and you can definitely see the new grass growing in the fall, so I know it's dropping seed evenly.

The drop seeder is driven by one of the tines via a chain drive, so I found that I needed weight on it to keep the tines in the ground, and a lot of weight to aerate.

The wheels sit on the outside of the unit, so ganging two units side by side might leave about a 12-18 inch unseeded path between the two.

If you want some pictures of mine let me know.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • Alc and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#9 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 10:55 AM

You might bend the tines a little so kick up dirt onto the seeds to cover a little more ,  mine tines got bent just trying to aerate near the tree roots lol

#10 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 04:13 PM

I was planning on mounting the tines from the dethatcher on the back of the spreader, attached to a brace to keep things together

That is fine if you can get the drop down spreader to work. If you have to go with a broadcast type spreader it won't work. They throw the seed a good distance, at least 5 feet to both sides and the rear, sometimes more depending on the speed you are travelling.That would require a rake at least 10 feet wide and mounted at least 5 feet behind the spreader.

Jim