• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 274 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 07:12 PM

I have a question. All the hydro tractors I have had, the hydro lever was pretty sensitive. The one on my super 12 isn't. You have to push the lever forward quite a bit before it moves. Is this normal ? The fluid is up to snuff. Also I have gear oil flowing out the vent tube. Doesn't do it all the time

Edited by Xrperry, August 08, 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 08:08 PM

The metal candy cane shaped vent tube near the rear left tire?

Gear oil?  There should NOT be gear oil coming out of that tube.That goes to the Hydro reservoir.It should be filled with Type A or Dexron III transmission fluid.

Might be why it's unresponsive the fluid is WAY to thick.The Hydrotracs are Hydro over gear.Gear oil in the Rear Diff Only and Type A or Dexron III transmission fluid in the Hydro reservoir.

I would drain it out and flush the reservoir with kerosene or diesel fuel and fill it with the correct fluid.

• Xrperry said thank you

#3 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • 274 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 08:28 PM

Holy crap your right.better double check. To make sure that's what it was. If it is trans fluid, not gear oil ,why would it push out the tube? O yea it is the candy cane tube. It did need gear oil but I look d in the manual and put it in the right hole, not in hydro. But that don't mean previous owner got it right.. If I did that big of a blunder I better lay off the peanut butter and bacon sandwiches.lol

Edited by Xrperry, August 08, 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#4 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • 274 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Ok I know I'm gonna catch it over the peanut butter and bacon so try these

Pb and bacon .....wheat bread, Pb light one side of bread, bacon fried hard.
Pb and fried egg, bread same way,egg fried hard, no runny yoke
Pb ham, bread same way, ham fried
Pb sausage, the small breakfast type...bread same way,fried sausage between.
If you want a real good one pile everything above between wheat bread, Pb both pieces of bread.

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 09:42 PM

As long as your not eating Peanut butter and Pickle sandwiches lol.You might be pregnant 

The pump will try to circulate the Gear oil but it is to thick even when warmed up.I would imaging it's building some pressure in the reservoir due to air mixing with the oil in the pump.

Is it thick and frothy looking? lots of air bubbles? 

Edited by EricFromPa, August 08, 2016 - 09:43 PM.

• Xrperry said thank you

#6 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • 274 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 11:55 PM

no its clear, no bubbles. 

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 02:01 AM

drain the gear oil out of the reservoir and put the plug back in and dump a couple quarts of kerosene in it and rock the tractor back and forth to get most of the gear oil diluted enough so it will all flush out and drain it.Let it sit with a pan under it for a while with the plug out.

I don't like taking the pans off of these because the small bolts like to snap off in the aluminum.I snapped 2 on mine taking the pan off to fix 2 that were snapped off.Ended up drilling and tapping 3 of them before I found a nasty crack on the 4th one.Kinda gave up on it at that point but I've worked on a couple old Jacobson/Ford tractors that have the same setup.There not to bad to work on but filling the reservoir is a pain in the butt with that small fill hole and no way to burp the air out while your filling it.

I took the J tube off and used a long funnel with a hunk of 3/4" ID hose and clamped it fast to the threaded nipple and tied the funnel fast to the steering wheel.

I put 2 full quarts in mine then started it up and worked the leaver back and forth ((With the Hydro release leaver in Neutral position)) untill you no longer hear air circulating or whinning.Then I put another 3/4 quart in it till it was showing about 1/2 way on the tube.Manual says Fill it till you see fluid on the dip stick tube/breather tube.

Page 11 of this manual Right side.Left side is for filling the Gear oil or 30wt in the Differential part of the Hydrogear transaxle.

http://gardentractor...odel-91725500/ 

#8 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 02:05 AM

Mine took Almost a full 3 quart till it was showing on the Dip Stick tube.

Yes Type A transmission fluid is still available.Autozone,Advanced,Wallmart,Napa and just about any other auto parts store will have it.

#9 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • 274 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 09:26 AM

its atf dripping out the vent tube. why would it do this? fluid level near full on dip stick. leaves a good puddle on floor

#10 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 01:23 PM

thought you said it was gear oil.lol

Sounds like it's just a bit to full.The filling instructions are pretty vague."It says if the fluid level is present on the tube than it's good enough".Drain about 1/2 quart out of it and check the level.

If the fluid level is to high there isn't enough room for expansion.And it will push a bit out the tube while running.Alot of the Hydros have an expansion tank with a small vent on them but your hydrotrac uses the Reservoir as an expansion tank.

Do you seem to have full speed in forward and reverse? The hydrotracs are pretty fast compared to other Suburban tractors.You have to push the leaver about 1/4 the way to see any movement at the rear tires because the leaver it's self is a foot long.Other brand tractors hydro leavers are usually pretty short.Some leavers are 6" some 8" some are really long others are really short.Linkages are all different on every brand of tractor.

I personally really like the long throw and smoothness of the Hydrotracs hydro leaver.Nice and smooth and better control than a shorter leaver. 

• Xrperry said thank you

#11 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • 274 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 02:11 PM

i thought it was, so i looked at it again and it is trans fluid . it seems to travel right along, i will pay attention to lever travel next time i run it