• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 09:11 AM

I have a guy wanting to trade a jd 300 tractor for some tools I dont need and wanted to sell anyway,I havent owned a hydrostat before so dont know what to expect.He bought it from another guy with the head gasket out of it and a hole about the size of a pencil burned thru the head,,,He replaced the head gasket and head it it runs real well,when I went to look at it anyway,Unfortunetly it quit on me when i was test driving it and would not restart,it also drove real well ,no funny noises,plenty of power.he said he represented it as running good so he would fix it(turned out to be the condenser and the fuel pump diaphram ),he ordered the parts and should have it together later this week .I like the idea of a 300 series tractor and want to put a loader on it some day,And I am a big guy and like the seating on it,My 72 jd 110 is comfortable but lots smaller.There is a deck with it and everything to install it but no belt,It turns freely and looks to be in good shape,The tractor is missing both side covers so I would have to purchase those and it looks like it sat outside a lot,paint it faded and seat is cracked a lot but still ok,I wont have any pics till i buy it (if i do) cause my phone is broke and since I drove to look at it and it didnt work out he said he would bring it here to me so i can reinspect it prior to purchase,I am not to concerned with cosmetics as i probably would restore it anyway,mostly need to know mechanicly what to look for,Thanks

#2 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 09:30 AM

I would look for oil leaks  or hydro leaks check to see when the last time the the hydro filter was changed an make sure the fluid is clean an the level is good. Im currently rebuilding my 300 i love the hydro it drives great an the lift is great when plowing snow. 

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 11:38 AM

The 300 is in the same family as these models, 120, 140 312, 314 316Kohler and the 317 which are all called "closed Frame" tractors. I have had several different closed frame model and love them. Only thing I would want to do would be put power steering on it if I was installing a loader. The tractor can handle a loader with no issues. I'm currently re-working a 316Kohler myself to mower with, I just really enjoy how well they do with the hydro mowing. They make great plow tractors to if you would ever want to go turn some dirt with it.

#4 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 12:49 PM

Also he is wanting $300 as the price we are using to do the trade on,I will have $125 in it when all is said and done,ans

d the tires are good but I will be installing ag tires on the back

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 12:50 PM

Check the driveshaft and motor mounts - the two problem areas of those machines that can cause major problems with the pump if uncorrected.  I have a 312 with a busted input shaft on the pump for tat very reason.

Edited by Trav1s, August 08, 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#6 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted August 17, 2016 - 08:25 PM

well no trade on this one ,I walked away from it ,First no spark ,then the fuel pump now the governor is broke,and the motor mounts are shot,I think it is probably a worn out money pit