3 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Our new 2016 Dodge Ram 5500 crew cab at work needs new tires.  One of my guys called me this morning and said they are pretty near bald.

Truck has about 30k miles on it.  200 miles a day for the last 6 months added up pretty quick!

From the factory it came with a "steer tire" with a pretty much straight grove, and a pretty unaggressive rear tire.

I want to go with an "AT" tire all around.  Since when we are off road traveling some of the muddy haul roads the truck is sliding and spinning all over the place!  Also being so darn heavy it's a major PITA traveling some of these roads a regular pickup truck doesn't even need 4 wheel drive on.

Is there a problem with going with an AT tire on the front?  Or will it cause problems?

I have no experience buying tires for these heavy trucks.  One tire shop we use said no problem doing that, the other said only to run a steering tire as it will cause a lot of vibrations on the highway?

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 08, 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 09:04 AM

How are you feeling today? I would say that both the tire guys are right but have different tolerances for road noise. The tire answer should be based on how much of each type of surface you travel on. If there is a real worry about getting stuck, I carry tire chains. When you know how to put them on, it doesn't take long and they work better than ATs. I'd also choose the store that gives you the best service. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,728 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 09:52 AM

AT tread on the front sometimes doesn't wear as good and gets choppy quicker. There are a lot of different tread designs and some wear better than others. They usually require more frequent rotation which could be an issue with the duals. Just more of a PITA thing. Other than that and road noise, I don't see a problem.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 10:40 AM

How are you feeling today? I would say that both the tire guys are right but have different tolerances for road noise. The tire answer should be based on how much of each type of surface you travel on. If there is a real worry about getting stuck, I carry tire chains. When you know how to put them on, it doesn't take long and they work better than ATs. I'd also choose the store that gives you the best service. Good Luck, Rick

Feeling good.  Little stiff today.  Still sitting on the couch!  Dr appointment at 2(hopefully I can get released for at least office work 8 hours a day), then heading south for a funeral.

I think I will give the AT tires a try on the front and see how they do.  Tires don't last too long as we run twisty windy 2 lane country roads pretty much 80% of the time.  20% of the time its on the highway. 

Road noise isn't a worry, but vibrations would be very annoying.

He prices me out a complete set for 1400 with a "free" alignment.  I think I will give them a try. 

• boyscout862 said thank you