Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Repair or replace mower spindle assembly?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 07:54 AM

Alc are the pindle shafts bent or the blades? they are pretty stout assemblies it there bent they must have had a very hard strike, but  some people can wreck a tank

yea just the spindles , no blades came with the parts just other odds and ends . being a saver ( maybe hoarder lol )  I didn't throw them away even though I don't have anything they would fit and they are bent lol  

• MNGB said thank you

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:09 AM

That is a nice clean break there..  If the collar below is part of the shaft I'd clean things up, burn the center out of the blade bracket and weld the thing back on.

Oh, and then stay away from the stumps of course!

#18 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:22 AM

The only thing that worries me is that it's been about half broken for years, it could have caused wobble that did other damage, I would pull it apart and make sure there is no egging out inside. Of course with the type of bearings it uses, it's likely the bearing would have absorbed the wear, still I'd check it. I'm amazed how long it stayed together with that much cracking!

#19 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 12:06 PM

Maybe I need to ask a leading question to better gauge my path forward:

If I were to tear down and reassemble this spindle, what tools are required to do it correctly? 

I have an impact gun and a gear puller along with some general mechanics tools.  I do not have any presses.

I hear everyone on the suggestion to get a different deck but that is easier said than done.  Most of the PK mower decks I see around here come with the tractor.  I have a call in to someone selling a package in the area but I doubt they will want to separate the mower. 

Edited by zuren, August 24, 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#20 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 01:06 PM

H Z, you will need a press to get the spindle shaft out of the hub housing/ bearings and to press it back together, I have a 12 ton press and it needed about that much to get it going, I know what your saying about buying a second deck there are none here in MN either at least nobody lists them.

#21 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 02:22 PM

Update:  I called Mission Mfg. in Indiana and they carry the spindle assembly at a price MUCH cheaper than I quoted earlier.  I decided to pull the trigger so I have an assembly on the way.

MNGB's info on needing the bearing press was the deal breaker.  I don't have one, I'm not going to run out to buy one, and I don't have the availability to run around to get someone to do the pressing for me.

• Alc said thank you

#22 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:52 PM

What was the price from mission?

#23 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 09:13 PM

What was the price from mission?

60-0201 - Spindle assembly less pulley - $163.90

Shipping was estimated to be $10-13.

#24 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 10:40 PM

UPDATE:

The new spindle came in today and I was able to get it mostly mocked up to the mower deck but I need some torque specs:

- Main spindle pulley nut

- 5 nuts that hold the spindle to the mower deck

I'm guessing that the main nut gets tightened to a certain spec, then backed off to the nearest slot for you to slid the cotter pin through.  Is that correct?  My documentation doesn't tell me torque specs.  If someone has access to that info, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Edited by zuren, August 27, 2016 - 10:48 PM.

#25 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted August 27, 2016 - 11:00 PM

Hi Z I haven't found any specific torque specs mine don't have the castle nut they have been switched to self locking and I just tightened it up good and tight big thing is to check that the you don't pre-load the bearings to much the spindle shaft should turn easy and free, as for the mount bolts just tighten them up. Just as important grease the assy after installation till grease comes out. 

#26 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 28, 2016 - 03:18 PM

By reusing the castle nut, I had no choice to take it until I couldn't tighten it further, then backed it off to line up the hole and grooves.  A self locking nut is probably a good idea.  Now to sharpen the blades and get the belts back on...

Edited by zuren, August 28, 2016 - 03:19 PM.

• MNGB said thank you