Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Repair or replace mower spindle assembly?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 09:43 PM

The tractor is a 1979 PK 1618 with original 48" belly mower.

I mistakenly hit a low stump today with the tractor that bent the front edge of the deck into the middle blade.  The middle spindle was sheared off (see pics) as well as one of the pins on the hitch.  It was a pretty hard hit.

Considering that I know this mower deck has always been stored indoors but never serviced/greased in 37 years, how should I approach this repair?  Should I look to get an entirely new assembly or is it safe to assume most of the components are okay and focus on specific parts within the assembly?  I've never had one apart so ANY advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160807_175503.jpg
  • 20160807_175516.jpg
  • 20160807_175609.jpg

• boyscout862 and ruthievx60 have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 09:56 PM

That can be a tough question. I have both repaired and replaced them. The question is can you get bearings seals and shaft?

And can you get it apart without breaking the castings?   What would the parts cost ? If the parts would and in some cases could cost more than a replacement spindle then I would replace.

• zuren said thank you

#3 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 10:03 PM

That can be a tough question. I have both repaired and replaced them. The question is can you get bearings seals and shaft?

And can you get it apart without breaking the castings?   What would the parts cost ? If the parts would and in some cases could cost more than a replacement spindle then I would replace.

It looks like Mission Manufacturing and other sources have the parts for the spindles:

http://powerkingtrac...SPINDLEASSY.htm

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 10:04 PM

Not much to a spindle assembly, but when you say it has never been serviced or greased do you mean it sat un used or that it was in use and still never was greased? If option two is the case then new parts would be advisable but you will only know once it is disassembled so my advice is to dig in and then check for wear and or tolerances and order parts as necessary as no one can tell you what you will find. Good luck!

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 10:29 PM

That's been cracked for a while.  Some of the break is old and rusty. 

Do whatever you have to do to make it work again.  Get it torn apart to make sure what you need and get the parts ordered. 

Since it was previously cracked and sounds like it hasn't had the best of maintenance,  I'd plan on a full tear down and rebuild this winter.  Right now you are in repair mode to get it back up and running.  The grass may get awfully big before you are back to mowing.

37 years without grease?  

I can't get one season out of the bearings on my King Cutter 3 point finish mower without replacing bearings and I grease it every mowing without fail!  Also run the lowest RPM I can and it'll still cut.   :wallbanging:   

#6 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 11:15 PM

Is there any harm running the mower with just the 2 outside blades? Considering the age and maintenance it has seen, I think I'm leaning toward a full replacement. I could still do some mowing with extra passes until the assembly comes in.

To answer a question above - I will ask my dad (original owner) but I'm almost positive that he never did any bearing greasing on the mower.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 05:28 AM

My son's tractor broke the one spindle just like your ( not a PK )  he had to cut his grass with just 2 blades for a few days  , it was growing like crazy at the time , we replaced the complete spindle on his .  Good luck

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 12:18 PM

HI zuren, I buy a replacement spindle assy and get the mower up and going, then dissemble the broken one and see what it needs to repair it.

#9 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 845 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 12:29 PM

Given the way that broke I'd be taking the earliest convenient opportunity to inspect the other spindles.  They may be headed for failure too.

Might as well do repairs on it over the winter if it needs them.

Edited by MiCarl, August 08, 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#10 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 01:48 PM

I just ordered bearings and seals for one of my spindles though serviceproparts for about $60 a spindle (2 bearings, 2 cups, 2 seals and I had one spacer) compared to well over 300 for a complete spindle assembly. I believe that part that broke on yours is around 60 bucks

http://www.servicepr...King_Parts.html
  • Alc said thank you

#11 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 12:53 PM

I just ordered bearings and seals for one of my spindles though serviceproparts for about $60 a spindle (2 bearings, 2 cups, 2 seals and I had one spacer) compared to well over 300 for a complete spindle assembly. I believe that part that broke on yours is around 60 bucks

http://www.servicepr...King_Parts.html

So I'm trying to follow this logic and here is what I come up with:

Bearings (2) - $28

Cones/races (2) - $12

Blade shaft (1) - $67

Cotter pin (1) - $2

Total = $109 + S/H

Completely new assembly minus pulley = $250 + S/H.

So I'm nearly 50% of the way to a new spindle just by getting the parts that I feel need to be replaced before I know anything about the condition of anything else.  To answer a question above, this mower has been used every season of its life.  It was always stored indoors.  I never saw my dad or know of my dad pulling spindles apart to grease them....ever.  

So I think I'm leaning toward getting a spindle assembly WITHOUT pulley (part number 60-0201).  This being said, how difficult will it be to pull the pulley off the existing assembly?  Is there is a chance that is it fused to the assembly?  I've never had one of these apart.

For now I'm running with the 2 outside blades; definitely awkward!

Thanks!

Edited by zuren, August 23, 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 02:24 PM

Hi Z, my pulley came off easy just zipped the nut off with the impact wrench put a puller on the pulley and it came right off. There are grease fitting in the spindle housing to grease the bearings, looking at your parts list you are missing 3 items for sure the bottom dust cover and the seals.  Have you called or e mailed Mission for a price quote? Then there is Power King Tractor Barn, Jerry passed a couple of months ago but I heard his son was taking over the business.

http://powerkingtractor.com/

http://www.powerkingtractorbarn.com/

#13 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 08:06 PM

So I'm trying to follow this logic and here is what I come up with:

Bearings (2) - $28
Cones/races (2) - $12
Blade shaft (1) - $67
Cotter pin (1) - $2
Total = $109 + S/H

Completely new assembly minus pulley = $250 + S/H.

So I'm nearly 50% of the way to a new spindle just by getting the parts that I feel need to be replaced before I know anything about the condition of anything else.  To answer a question above, this mower has been used every season of its life.  It was always stored indoors.  I never saw my dad or know of my dad pulling spindles apart to grease them....ever.  

So I think I'm leaning toward getting a spindle assembly WITHOUT pulley (part number 60-0201).  This being said, how difficult will it be to pull the pulley off the existing assembly?  Is there is a chance that is it fused to the assembly?  I've never had one of these apart.

For now I'm running with the 2 outside blades; definitely awkward!

Thanks!

Hey if u can afford it, by all means buy the spindle. Iv seen whole decks on Craigs for that kind of money.

People say they wear the bearings out in no time. I'm very curious as to how. They are tapered roller bearings and I would think u could just tighten them up and go. My cups had hot spots and they growl from sitting 20+ years.

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 05:28 AM

Iv seen whole decks on Craigs for that kind of money

He  does have a point , I did a quick search and found this by me  , yes your buying used, but if the bearings seem OK and the spindles don't look bent that would give you a spindle you need now and 2 spares

http://williamsport....5720898210.html

Just thinking , I have spindles that came with my PK , (didn't get the deck )   they are bent but if you have a machine shop or maybe even a small engine shop that straightens crankshafts that you could use  your welcome to one .  Course get a estimate first .  

Edited by Alc, August 24, 2016 - 05:33 AM.

#15 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 07:17 AM

I 3X buying a complete deck if there are any available then you could repair the spindles when you have  ore time and maybe have a spare deck, the deck in the CL ad is for a plastic model not sure if they used the same spindles or not.

Alc are the pindle shafts bent or the blades? they are pretty stout assemblies it there bent they must have had a very hard strike, but  some people can wreck a tank. :wave: