Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 05:35 AM

I'm going to disagree  with some but while I didn't see any Craftsman tractors at shows doesn't mean that when a nice restored one won't stop me in my tracks !  And maybe while people feel they are throwaways now that might make them even more interesting in the coming years when less nice ones are around

• larrybl said thank you

#17 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 06:27 AM

I think you will find the tide rolling your way in the coming years.  The old guard is starting to die off and the term "old tractor" is taking on a whole new meaning.  For me, the older the better when I go to shows.  Nothing against Craftsman but I, much like toomanytoys, would walk right by.  In fact, I was at my local show this past weekend and, for the first time in many years, I was able to sit down and enjoy the tractor parade.  Well a kid came through on a 1999 Craftsman tractor.  That's well above the cutoff date but the club is pretty easy to get along with.

This is what I run into these days when I display.  I've come to the point where I set up my 54 Pond and 42 Speedex B side by side in my display.  Education is part of the hobby so now I have a visual aid in that the same gentleman built both tractors with two different companies.  It shows the progression of the garden tractor and the birth of the Wheelhorse line as I usually set up next to a couple of friends of mine who combined bring around 30 Wheelhorses.  Now what happens most times is people walk past, give a glance and a smile and when they get to the Wheelhorses, Cub Cadets or whatever may be beside me, the cameras come out and they spend the next 20 minutes snapping pictures of what you see working in yards all over the country.  It drives me nuts.  I don't know what the production numbers are for the Speedex but there were only 600 of the Pond made in a 10 year span.  It's basically a production tractor that was hand crafted.  It means nothing to people that attend shows these days.  My point is, the tide is turning.  I am told that the Craftsman tractor was designed to last only three years.  I do not know if that is a fact but I've heard it from more than one source.  If that is true, most I have seen have already cheated death and older ones like yours would be considered the grand daddys of the modern Craftsman era in my opinion.  You have done well with them and made them like new again and that should be appreciated on many levels.  From what I have witnessed in recent years (and much of it may depend on the show itself), if we were to display side by side, you would probably have a much busier day than I.  Don't worry though, I'll go get you some lunch.

I think I'm going to try something next year.  I think I'll take my 1977 Satoh Beaver to the show (the one in my avatar).  It just meets the cutoff date and I've never seen another one at a show.  Could be a nifty experiment and usher in a whole new era of compact diesels at shows.  Hmmmmm.

Edited by David Brown, August 08, 2016 - 06:29 AM.

• larrybl, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 06:44 AM

Jeff, do you guys still list an actual cutoff? I assume 77?

Anyways, I heard the show was a fantastic one and that the flea market was bigger this year.
I, unfortunately, had to change my plans last minute to go and ended up working.
Boss needed me to fill in and I will be needing some dates at the end of the month.

As for display, you need a boiler plate tranny tractor and one from the 90's.
Then put up a big sign that says "All designed by Cecil". More will ask then. Gotta get them on the hook :D
Oh, that and you need a bowl of candy out.
  • larrybl, David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 07:58 AM

Jeff, do you guys still list an actual cutoff? I assume 77?

Anyways, I heard the show was a fantastic one and that the flea market was bigger this year.
I, unfortunately, had to change my plans last minute to go and ended up working.
Boss needed me to fill in and I will be needing some dates at the end of the month.

As for display, you need a boiler plate tranny tractor and one from the 90's.
Then put up a big sign that says "All designed by Cecil". More will ask then. Gotta get them on the hook :D
Oh, that and you need a bowl of candy out.

Yes, the show was very good I thought.  We had some of the best weather I've experienced at that show on Saturday.  Busy place for sure.  The flea market was pretty good compared to the last several years but things were not cheap.  Not many deals there this year.  The club does list a cut off date, I've seen it on several occasions but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.  Pretty sure it was 1977.  If I ever come across it again, I'll try to remember to post it.  As for my display, well I'm not sure what I'll do short of throwing my mower on the trailer.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#20 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 08:01 AM

I think the Sears machines are probably the most common, from any era, and so, they are simply less noticed.  After the DB years, they never really had an eye catching style to them.  I find myself walking by JD's in much the same manner as folks do a Sears...they are thick as fleas and don't grab my eye.

But, I collect a brand that's very common too, and notice folks pass by without noticing a display I work hard to put together, often containing extremely rare or 1 of a kind attachments, and I take no offense.  Enjoy your effort by sharing as you see fit!

• larrybl, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 11:01 AM

I think you will find the tide rolling your way in the coming years.  The old guard is starting to die off and the term "old tractor" is taking on a whole new meaning.  For me, the older the better when I go to shows.  Nothing against Craftsman but I, much like toomanytoys, would walk right by.  In fact, I was at my local show this past weekend and, for the first time in many years, I was able to sit down and enjoy the tractor parade.  Well a kid came through on a 1999 Craftsman tractor.  That's well above the cutoff date but the club is pretty easy to get along with.

This is what I run into these days when I display.  I've come to the point where I set up my 54 Pond and 42 Speedex B side by side in my display.  Education is part of the hobby so now I have a visual aid in that the same gentleman built both tractors with two different companies.  It shows the progression of the garden tractor and the birth of the Wheelhorse line as I usually set up next to a couple of friends of mine who combined bring around 30 Wheelhorses.  Now what happens most times is people walk past, give a glance and a smile and when they get to the Wheelhorses, Cub Cadets or whatever may be beside me, the cameras come out and they spend the next 20 minutes snapping pictures of what you see working in yards all over the country.  It drives me nuts.  I don't know what the production numbers are for the Speedex but there were only 600 of the Pond made in a 10 year span.  It's basically a production tractor that was hand crafted.  It means nothing to people that attend shows these days.  My point is, the tide is turning.  I am told that the Craftsman tractor was designed to last only three years.  I do not know if that is a fact but I've heard it from more than one source.  If that is true, most I have seen have already cheated death and older ones like yours would be considered the grand daddys of the modern Craftsman era in my opinion.  You have done well with them and made them like new again and that should be appreciated on many levels.  From what I have witnessed in recent years (and much of it may depend on the show itself), if we were to display side by side, you would probably have a much busier day than I.  Don't worry though, I'll go get you some lunch.

I think I'm going to try something next year.  I think I'll take my 1977 Satoh Beaver to the show (the one in my avatar).  It just meets the cutoff date and I've never seen another one at a show.  Could be a nifty experiment and usher in a whole new era of compact diesels at shows.  Hmmmmm.

There are some young people that like the early stuff out there yet, myself being one, we are few and far between  but I think there are starting to be more and more, I personally have engines and equipment dating to the 30s and 40s.  That Speedex and Pond would have caught my attention for sure!

• larrybl, David Brown, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 12:48 PM

There are some young people that like the early stuff out there yet, myself being one, we are few and far between  but I think there are starting to be more and more, I personally have engines and equipment dating to the 30s and 40s.  That Speedex and Pond would have caught my attention for sure!

I enjoy the simplicity of the older machines.  I have seen Jeff's Pond when me and Dad bought a PK deck off him awhile ago.  Very nice tractor!  I figure people would be flocking that thing at shows!

Honestly, Dad is taking my truck tomorrow to go pick up a 1974 ST10.  Nice looking tractor.  Seller claims it was used for a couple years then sat in a shed till last summer.  500 dollars can't be beat.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 08, 2016 - 12:50 PM.

• larrybl and boyscout862 have said thanks

#23 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Thanks all, these were some of the ones I saw last year. Not a dedicated area for GT's as they were scatter all over. I think the ratio on large tractors to GT's was around 50 to 1,

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140141.jpg
  • P1140146.jpg
  • P1140151.jpg
  • P1140187.jpg
  • P1140193.jpg
  • P1140209.jpg

• MH81, Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 07:29 PM

If you continue to show, that percentage will close

• larrybl said thank you

#25 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 07:58 AM

If you continue to show, that percentage will close

That's a great point.  Our local show used to only have GTs as butt buggy's, and since a handful of us have begun exhibiting the past few years, then making multi-day trips, etc, the number or L&G has grown dramatically.  I think we had around 75 walk behind and riding machines there this year.

• larrybl, MH81 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks