15 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 01:08 PM

We always have a lot of Barn Swallows around.  This year we had 6 pair that built their nests on 3 sides of our house.  One is right over the window next to the walk to our back door and deck.  This pic was taken about July 30th.2016 Swallow Babies.JPG   Today when I was heading in from the shop with the camera they were all lined up like they were ready to leave home.  2016 Swallows.JPG   This is the second batch in this nest.  They had 3 the first time and 4 now.  7 from one nest.  Another nest has at least 3 in it yet.  Didn't keep track of all of them but had to be well over 2 dozen babies raised in the 6 nests.  That don't count the 2 nest in the open pallet building, 3 on & in the bird house and a couple in the goat barn.  And the nice part of it is we don't have any mosquitoes to speak of.  Every time we mow there is a bunch diving all around us catching the bugs we stir up.  Won't be long and they will all be heading South.  Then I can take the nest down and clean up the house where they were at.  Will be ready for them again next year.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Cvans and 7 others have said thanks

#2 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 01:31 PM

You know if u leave the nest up, they will come back to it every year and repair it as needed, we have always had a nest or two in our barn, we don't bother them and they don't bother us.  Never seen a nest outside like that.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 02:54 PM

These are about 10" under the foot overhang so no weather can bother them, even a wind and rain storm.  They like it.

#4 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 04:14 PM

I put up this box for them long ago.
They come back every year.
image.jpeg

Joe

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 04:29 PM

Rock Farmer, I don't think the birds that are in your box are Barn Swallows.  I bet they are Cliff Swallows.  We have had them also and in a Blue Bird house.  Barn Swallows don't use boxes or bird houses.

Edited by chieffan, August 07, 2016 - 04:29 PM.

#6 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 04:57 PM

I just googled it.
Deffinatly barn swallows.
Cliff swallows around here nest in colony's along river banks where the sand is washing away.
I do get bluebirds in the same type nest box hung on an old porch post in my stone wall.

Joe

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 05:16 PM

OK, if you say so.  This is what I found on 3 different sites.

I said Cliff Swallows and meant Tree Swallows.  2007_0526Image0004.JPG  

Barn Swallows once nested in caves throughout North America, but now build their nests almost exclusively on human-made structures.

Barn Swallows once nested in caves throughout North America, but now build their nests almost exclusively on human-made structures.

- - - -they now use man-made structures such as barns and the overhangs of decks and patios.

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 05:42 PM

We have all 3 also. Barn swallows heavy in the goat barn, 8 diff nests. Blue birds in 6 of 8 boxes, tree swallows in the other 2. And several tree swallows in my martin house (no martins as yet, with the goofy winter I guess I missed the scout birds) Have had tree swallows and barns swallows for years. It can get a bit unnerving with 30-40 swallows swinging in a ballet of swirls around the tractors when making hay !

But mosquitoes are rather rare because of them :thumbs:

• oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 06:08 PM

We have had a Martin House up for several years.  Keep the door block till we see or hear of Martins in the area.  They have landed, looked around flew around and left.  Guess they didn't like the metal Martin House.  Took it down last month and used the pole for it original purpose - a flag pole.

They definitely can be a bit unnerving till one gets use to them and they to us.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 06:31 PM

Ok, now I see.
Tree swallows is what I got in the box.
Barn swallows under the eve over the door.
A chipmunk raided the barn swallow nest this year.
Didn't leave till I chased him away!
By then it was too late!

Joe
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 06:45 PM

We have had a Martin House up for several years. Keep the door block till we see or hear of Martins in the area. They have landed, looked around flew around and left. Guess they didn't like the metal Martin House. Took it down last month and used the pole for it original purpose - a flag pole.

They definitely can be a bit unnerving till one gets use to them and they to us.

I always heard they were extremely picky about where they nest. A guy up the road from.me had several big Martin houses in his yard. I'm not sure I've ever even seen one.
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#12 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 07:01 PM

We have at least 3 kinds of swallows/Martins, as well as swifts, some look like common swifts, maybe they hitched a ride across the pond. :D

I love to watch them late day, scooping up the bugs, they love it when I'm mowing also.

• jpackard56, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted August 08, 2016 - 01:25 PM

Our barn swallow populations are dwindling quickly. Twenty years ago they nested on the house, in the open fronted pole barns and in the shop if the door was left open for even a day. This year I had only one pair, and it used an old nest in the shop----I left the door open on purpose hoping they would come. Since the nest is up on the edge of the deck near the back of the shop I just put a big piece of cardboard under it on the cement floor for the season, then fold it up and burn it in the fire pit. No mess, no fuss, and always fewer mosquitoes.

• jpackard56 and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 09:07 AM

We have an old aluminum martin house that ODNR was promoting back in the sixties, my dad had good results with. We've put it up and never have had anything stay, so I bought a plastic one and put it up about 300feet from the aluminum one. Like chieffan we put-out about a month ahead of supposed arrival of scouts in the area....3years now and nothing martin wise.

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 09:26 AM

We had some blue Swallows nest in one of my wife's yard art houses. I moved it on the fence & they spent a long time there. Like mentioned loved having them. Are both male & female the same in color? That's good to know about not cleaning the nest. We've always cleaned the other houses at the end of summer.