coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 07:31 PM

I just inherited my Father in Laws F915. The engine run likes a top. The PTO drive train has a busted flange bearing that needs to be replaced and the PTO brake band is broken too. Anybody got the Exploded parts diagram or service manual?

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 08:11 PM

here is the link to JD parts

http://jdpc.deere.co...?Origin=JDParts

Edited by lyall, August 06, 2016 - 08:12 PM.

• coldone said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Had to replace the pto flange bearing on my F935 this year.  Over $100 and must buy from John Deere.   Most all their bearings/shafts are an odd size nobody else carries.  They do this so you MUST buy parts from them only.  Mine was the bearing next to where the deck pto quick-connects to the pto power shaft.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 08:28 PM

Here you go,

915 PTO-1.jpg 915 PTO-2.jpg 915 PTO-3.jpg

• coldone said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 08:42 PM

Word of advice........look at the flange closely!  I could plainly see the bearing was gone without removing the flange, so I ordered a bearing online.  Once I took the flange off, I found the flange was damaged beyond using.  The flange is not available separately, so I ended up with 2 bearings, as the flange only comes with a bearing in it.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 09:11 PM

Had to replace the pto flange bearing on my F935 this year.  Over $100 and must buy from John Deere.   Most all their bearings/shafts are an odd size nobody else carries.  They do this so you MUST buy parts from them only.  Mine was the bearing next to where the deck pto quick-connects to the pto power shaft.

Thats the one Dan. The flange is in two pieces.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 09:17 AM

:picsoritsnotyours: :wewantpics: :camera: :camera: :camera: :camera: :camera: :thumbs:

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 09:10 PM

An Update (finally).

Well, after getting some info on this thread I got the bearing I needed ordered. I power washed the machine a few time to get the dirt and grease off. I got some of it. I dont think its been cleaned in 20 years. I took a day off (they should not give me vacation days if they dont want me to use them) and got the bearing changed out. This was another example the people that design them NEVER think about the people that have to work on them. I turns out that me and a 13 year old chinese contortionist have a few things in common, mainly being able to get to the nuts on the blasted thing.

Anyway, got that changed out and hooked everything up and started mowing with the beast. WOW, what a major difference in quality and ability to mow. I was doen in no time and the yard looked good, just a little low in cut hieght. I did notice that the blades seemed dull and there was a vibration when the deck was runnning. No problem, the next week end i played ith the deck and the blades. I can tell you that the deck is going to need some patch work, nothing bad just a few places that are swiss cheese. The blades were out of ballance and as dull as my head. I got them good and sharp. I did find one spindle tat had a little slop in the bearings, not much just a little. I put it back together and mowed again. The vibration was there but lessened a little bit. STill mowed great.

I went to do my mowing this weekend and made 3 rounds before something really went wrong. The vibration suddenly went from a slight buzz in the seat to a good old whang de bang, bang. I shut it down and found that the weldment that helps hold the bearing in place was busted completely. Its and odd design and hard to explain but one side was busted and the other side couldnt hold on. I got it to my work area and managed to get it all back in line and tack welded. I am not a welder and I new this was beyond me, so I called my brother and he said he would weld it (he is a pro). I took allthe PTO apart and removed everthing I could just to be able to get  a welder in there. I got it welded up this morning and brought it home and put it all back together again (maybe I should call it humpty dumpty) I hooked up  the deck again and gave it a test run, The vibe was back to normal (still not right). There is a small hatch that you open to get access to the PTO hookup. This hatch is below the drivers left thigh area, I had left it open and I finaly saw where the vibe was comming from. The blasted shaft has about 2 inches of wobble in when its fully extended and running the deck. WellI shut it down and put it up. I had a 3 oclock dead line to be somewhere else. I had a few minutes to get cleaned up and I sent Dan a panicy PM about "O crap do I have to spend $400 on a new shaft or what". Luckily Dan gave me the "or what" option. I have to tear the shaft down and find what it is wore out.

So that is where I am at right now. I have found several things that need to be addressed. Its quite a few little things that have been negleted over the years. The tranny sight glass doesnt have any fluid showing it so I will have to add some. But wait, the hose running from the overflow tank is broken off and needs to be replaced. The brakes need to be adjusted, front roller shaft fabbed, spindle rebuilt, new blades, swiss cheese spots fixed, tie rod fixed, toe in adjusted, etc... Not bad just alot of little things and since its a JD I have to budget and prioritize the repairs. 

I promise pics coming soon.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 09:22 PM

What is the width of cut?  60"?  Just curious, as the parts I looked up was for a 60" rear discharge deck.